🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Cast Iron Buckle?

IHC656

Jul 17, 2023
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found in Michigan where church and school had been. 1911-1988.
13A30963-239B-49EB-86B1-CE4CD024450D.jpeg

Attachments

• CC1906D1-2E85-4046-BC04-D290E9226F6B.jpeg
    CC1906D1-2E85-4046-BC04-D290E9226F6B.jpeg
    392.3 KB · Views: 34
Could be a buckle. Could also be a knob -- the square hole in the middle seems like maybe would fit over a shaft to turn it? Seems a bit odd for either purpose, really. What does the back look like?

Upvote 3
I would think if it’s cast iron it would be solid rust. Could it be silver??
I put against a wire wheel before I took the pictures. Front and back. Two small studs on the back.

Upvote 0
Could be a buckle. Could also be a knob -- the square hole in the middle seems like maybe would fit over a shaft to turn it? Seems a bit odd for either purpose, really. What does the back look like?
Back is the second photo. Left hand side are two upstickers similar to what a belt buckle would have if broken off.

Upvote 1
Looks like a tap handle on the front, though the 2 spurs sticking out and the underside makes it look different.

Does it stick to a magnet?

Upvote 0
It may have been nickel plated at one time, which makes me think old cast iron stove decorated with shiny features. I'm not thinking it a buckle, but more In-line with blackfoots idea.

Upvote 1
it is indeed a valve handle.
If it was a valve handle the 2 spurs would be a pain to deal with.
Unless there was a link joining the 2, and a chain/lock for security/safety for turning on the valve.

Upvote 2
those two spurs are puzzling . maybe it just looks like a valve handle but is something else

Upvote 0
Looks like a tap handle on the front, though the 2 spurs sticking out and the underside makes it look different.

Does it stick to a magnet?
Yes it sticks to a magnet..
Eyeballing the thickness I’d say it is about 1/8 thick. Rim is thicker. Two small studs on back side.

Upvote 1
The “studs” appear to stick out to the side, not just down. They may have been a rudimentary method of indicating the valve position. Possibly for “off” and “high” on a radiator for a boiler heat system.

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back