Captain kangaroo?!

Spill

Oct 15, 2022

Attachments

• 20240719_173418.jpg
    20240719_173418.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 100
Upvote 20
Captain Kangaroo advertised for the Schwinn bicycle company. His line was: “And remember kids, Schwinn bikes are best.” Living downstate from Chicago where they were made, they were the most common bike. If you didn’t ride a Schwinn, you were made fun of. I had them back then and still have a couple now.

Bob Keeshan played the title role in a kids' programme on CBS from 1955-1984 and some re-hashed episodes ran on PBS and independent channels until 1993.

View attachment 2159675
Did you guys have the captain across the pond also?, much of my childhood and teen years were in Europe, but we had no TV's couldn't speak German , or at least well enough to hold a conversation.
Hell I couldn't even speak British, I remember meeting some girls from Liverpool, and never understood a word they said.

Did you guys have the captain across the pond also?, much of my childhood and teen years were in Europe, but we had no TV's couldn't speak German , or at least well enough to hold a conversation.
Hell I couldn't even speak British, I remember meeting some girls from Liverpool, and never understood a word they said.

I don’t think it ever aired as such in the UK, but we were aware of the character. The American series included several cartoon shorts, some of which were produced here in the 1970s: “Ludwig” with a magical egg-shaped robot and music from the works of Beethoven; and “Simon in the Land of Chalk Drawings” with a child who could bring his drawings to life. The latter was narrated by the British actor Bernard Cribbins, but dubbed with Keeshan’s voice for American broadcasts.

Many of us have trouble understanding what folks with strong northern or other regional accents are saying. Sometimes it's like a whole 'nuther language.

That's a cool find, for a guy that watched him as a kid I'd say Really Cool!
Why no pics of the gold ring? :dontknow:

Captain Kangaroo & Sally Starr
1721530934053.png

Early 60's I Used to watch Both in the Mornings

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back