Can somebody help me Id this?

Fondots

Greenie
May 4, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like it opens and closes like scissors but it does not. It is about 5 inches long and either silver or silver plated. The cup on the end is very shallow and shaped like an eye

FB_IMG_1462453315922.jpg

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1462447351646.jpg
    FB_IMG_1462447351646.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 135
Last edited by a moderator:
Apparently, Kromex was a company owned by Alcoa and produced all sorts of housewares. It seems to be now defunct as all I'm finding is contemporary companies bearing that name. It does seem, however, that their products (at least some of them) are collectible, as I'm seeing the stuff listed on EBay, etc. as to value, who knows? There's an ass for every seat.

Upvote 0
I buy and sell antiques and collectibles in the summer when I am not working. You can get a very good estimate on value by looking at the old listings, the ones that actually sold. I was not able to find the item in the sold listings.

I was also unable to find the Kromex ebay listing. The only thing I could find was one google image (the second one Jeff posted).. We dont know if it sold or not.

Did anybody actually find the eBay listing?

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Upvote 0

This one is good but we need to toss out the Retro Kromex 50s identification because its referring to the tray.

All we have is the second listing which doesnt tell us much. "Vintage scissors look metal candle snuffer" If we could find the actual old eBay listing we could get more information but I cant pull it up. There are ways to do it but I forget.

scissors.jpg

Upvote 0
Just to prove to yall that you cant trust images, here it describes this item as a Vintage Porcelain Ottlinger Sevelen Decorative Floral.
View attachment 1309010

I hope this proves that we cannot make an ID from images alone. However its a very good place to start but we need to find the original page. Even eBay listings do not an ID make but its a step closer.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jeff I apologize if I took an atitude. Keep on making IDs. You do a great job at TN and you have been here since the beginning.

The Retro Kromex is referring to a tray so we cant trust images. But its a great starting place to help with the process of making a correct ID.

Your link "Vintage scissors look candle snuffer" is from eBay and the seller is obviously guessing so take it or leave it. You know how eBay works. But I cant prove it. If we can find the eBay listing, we could ask the seller. But I cant find it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jeff I apologize if I took an atitude. Keep on making IDs. You do a great job at TN and you have been here since the beginning.

The Retro Kromex is referring to a tray so we cant trust images. But its a great starting place to help with the process of making a correct ID.

Your link "Vintage scissors look candle snuffer" is from eBay and the seller is obviously guessing so take it or leave it. You know how eBay works. But I cant prove it. If we can find the eBay listing, we could ask the seller. But I cant find it.

no Apology Necessary My Friend ! perhaps I may have misunderstood where you were Going :dontknow:

Well I think its a "Vintage Porcelain Ottlinger Sevelen Decorative Floral." because Google images tells me that!! :laughing7:
Prove me wrong!
View attachment 1309030

that's easy ! the OP says "either silver or silver plated". not Porcelain & it doesn't look like a tray Either 8-)

Fondots have you looked closely at it for a brand name ?

I'll agree with Bigcypresshunter that he may be right.
it is most likely not Kromex.

But I still believe the EBay Id of it being a Candle Snuffer

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Let's think about this a little, forget Kromex, forget eBay. The thing is obviously not functional, but if it were, the cup would snuff the candle and the sissors would trim the wick, agreed? So, where did the makers of this phony item get the idea in the first place ? It doesn't resemble American designs for candle sniffers, It must be a European design, ergo, the phony may also be from Europe. How am I doing?

Upvote 0
I've just spent an hour looking at candle snuffers from every country I can think of, and going back to the 15th century, and I'm not finding anything that remotely resembles our little problem child. This thing is either someone's original conception of a style-ized snuffer, or its not a snuffer at all. What else could it possibly be if it were a functioning sissor thingey?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I thought the eBay seller was saying it looks like a candle snuffer. So maybe I misunderstood. My bad. She just said look candle snuffer.

I agree its the best ID we have and at least we know another one exists.

Im thinking the item is an ornamental candle snuffer and not functional. For what purpose, I dont know?

Upvote 0
I also wonder if ornamental.
5" seems a bit Short.
not short enough to be a coke Snuff Spoon though.

it appears to have a hanger on it,

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yeah, I agree that it's strictly ornamental, but it must be based on SOMETHING ? I even googled cokespoons and found everything under the sun except THAT thing. It must be copied from something that wouldn't come up when you google for snuffers.

Upvote 0
for the record, I wager I could outen a Candle with it

Upvote 0
Here is a picture of the other side from images. Because the scissors are not functional, could it just be a wall hanger/ decoration?

scissors snuffer.jpg

Upvote 0
Well, after all this bullspit, I wouldn't want one hanging on my wall.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back