California riffle sluice what angle do run?

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Deep Tech Vista RG 1000, Deep Tech Vista Gold, Deep Tech RELIC, Garrett prop pointer.....bazooka gold 36" gold trap, Angus MacKirk Grubstake sluice, my version of mikes trommel, echo crevice vac, Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey just curious out there I just recently purchased a California riffle sluice and I'm making it into a recirculatory system to run my material that way I'm kind of half handicapped and I have to hire people to go and get me material is something that I like to do and I was wondering where you folks were running your angles at so I don't blow out the gold need to build a leg system

The best angle of the sluice is determined by the size of the gold your trying to capture. and then rerun your cons at a stepper angle and slower water to see if there's any smaller gold left from the last run . and keep doing this until there's no visible gold left in the pan

This year someone is slucing in the creek I point hunt. They dug a trench so the water will flow down it and I’m guessing that’s where they will put the box. It’s a big creek. I hope they dislodge some points for me lol

The best angle of the sluice is determined by the size of the gold your trying to capture. and then rerun your cons at a stepper angle and slower water to see if there's any smaller gold left from the last run . and keep doing this until there's no visible gold left in the pan
Up here in Maine most of our gold is fine unless you go way up North and then you get into the bigger stuff but even then you get lucky and hit a pocket

Well I did manage to find a Angus mccurk Alaskan flare on eBay and I ended up buying it just because they don't make them anymore and this will make a great spare and I can compare it to the California sluice box

Woll you post the results of your test ?
I will as soon as I get a chance to get on the water and I've just been tied up a lot lately unfortunately

Many old timers told me years ago.

When setting up a sluice the proper angle must be observed. It's usually between 5 - 7 degrees of slope and should allow most round rocks and pebbles to pass through easily. You don't want the material zipping through but rather kind of tumbling through slowly.

As a general rule, the optimum slope-setting of a sluice is around one inch of drop per linear foot of box. This can change, depending upon the volume and velocity of water being used, and/or the average shape, size, volume or weight (specific gravity) of material that you are processing. here is an example on the correct velocity of water you need. below.

propervelocity11.gif

I hope this of some help?

Crow

This drop in it's angle is a starting point to set up your sluice and go from there to what ever angle works best for the size of gold your finding ! I've personally seen sluice's running up hill to trap the finer gold after screening for the finer gold specks ! If you stick with 1 set up , you'll be losing fine gold !

This drop in it's angle is a starting point to set up your sluice and go from there to what ever angle works best for the size of gold your finding ! I've personally seen sluice's running up hill to trap the finer gold after screening for the finer gold specks ! If you stick with 1 set up , you'll be losing fine gold !
How about running the material twice the first time for what size you know is there and then the second time for just the very fine values.
Then measure how much weight you are getting catching just the fines and determine if it is well spent effort and time as you will be picking out a lot of rocks.

Well it sounds like since my gold that we find up here in Maine is very fine like 200 mesh on average of the places I go fly poop gold but I have discovered an area that don't have to work hard and it's pretty easy to get but it's just very fine so maybe 5 degree angle?

Well it sounds like since my gold that we find up here in Maine is very fine like 200 mesh on average of the places I go fly poop gold but I have discovered an area that don't have to work hard and it's pretty easy to get but it's just very fine so maybe 5 degree angle?
Drop riffle sluice set up as a high banker?

Yes...on real fine gold
If I'm following what you are pointing out is that the black sand trap or drop channel is the rifle for the very fines to sink down to the bottom.
Is this correct or did I miss something here?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back