• ForumRunner_20130216_192541.png
    ForumRunner_20130216_192541.png
    146.6 KB · Views: 640
  • ForumRunner_20130216_192602.png
    ForumRunner_20130216_192602.png
    218.6 KB · Views: 914
Upvote 0
sidvail,

It is some "Big Country" up river with more places to snoop around in than one person has time to do in one lifetime especially if one does not live close to it. The "Bars" information, does it include the Red Dirt Saloon in Foresthill, just kidding. That has been known to be a rough place if it is still even open. The bears out there like to investigate a persons camp and having your food bag up on a rope will only cause you to loose it to them. I consider the fishing to be poor along the NFAR since about the mid 90's though some folks pull out a 14" every now and then, me only 6" to 8" so I stopped fishing for them. Floating down river from Euchre bar into Green valley is/was relatively safe as long as a side wall has not caved into the river and if the water is not too high. Going further than the bottom end of Green Valley is not wise in a raft in high water (greater than 250 cfs) and not wise alone. No real camping from GV to Pickering Bar, all high rock walls and water with some rocks to lay on.

I went in on Mumford Bar Trail last year and it is terribly overgrown with weeks 6'-10' high and I can only assume that all trails down river from there are also heavily overgrown. Up river to just past Beacroft will also likely be bad hiking. Fire in 2008 burned the canopy out so the sun is full on the valley floor making hiking very difficult......................63bkpkr

Last edited:
sidvail,

It is some "Big Country" up river with more places to snoop around in than one person has time to do in one lifetime especially if one does not live close to it. The "Bars" information, does it include the Red Dirt Saloon in Foresthill, just kidding. That has been known to be a rough place if it is still even open. The bears out there like to investigate a persons camp and having your food bag up on a rope will only cause you to loose it to them. I consider the fishing to be poor along the NFAR since about the mid 90's though some folks pull out a 14" every now and then, me only 6" to 8" so I stopped fishing for them. Floating down river from Euchre bar into Green valley is/was relatively safe as long as a side wall has not caved into the river and if the water is not too high. Going further than the bottom end of Green Valley is not wise in a raft in high water (greater than 250 cfs) and not wise alone. No real camping from GV to Pickering Bar, all high rock walls and water with some rocks to lay on.

I went in on Mumford Bar Trail last year and it is terribly overgrown with weeks 6'-10' high and I can only assume that all trails down river from there are also heavily overgrown. Up river to just past Beacroft will also likely be bad hiking. Fire in 2008 burned the canopy out so the sun is full on the valley floor making hiking very difficult......................63bkpkr

I live in foresthill. I think they actually reopened the red dirt saloon recently. I've been down the breacroft trail years ago and it was pretty overgrown. I think breacroft is one up from Mumford. I didn't go prospecting there but there's some awesome waterfalls down there. The bedrock looked very rounded and smooth. I'm sure there's some kind of gold down there though.

I guess I'm the kid in the candy store. I hear of all these trails and destinations and I want to go to all of them at once. And here I'm lucky if I can get out there once a month. Will take me a LONG time just to see the ones I've heard about on tnet.

But the time is a coming. I'm done moving in now in Sac, so a bit closer to my dream. I should be able to get out several times a month now that I'm settled in. And if I make those trips last a week each, I'm sure to make some progress. I just have to be patient and enjoy the journey along with the destination.

Still, I'm a knowledge junkie and can not help but ask the questions that pop into my head. And this forum has been a great place to ask those.

sidvail, for Any Mountain trail Anywhere a person needs to be in at least descent physical condition to go in and out on a day hike with a pack carrying pan, sifter, shovel and other basic tools with first aid, snake bite kit, Sun Shield, Insect Repellent, water and food, or about 25 pounds. Some of the trails are easy (lots of switchbacks and reasonable trail angle) while others are Steep, loose, rough, hot, long, did I mention Long, dry (no water) and as one nears the top of the trail with evening shadows and winds coming on with clothes filled with sweat it gets quite Cold due to evaporation of the moisture. Oh, and the hiking kit should include a flashlight with new batteries in it just in case it gets dark before you reach the top.

Use Topographic maps to get a rough idea of how steep/bad the trails will be. There might also be trail guides available but be prepared to start early in the morning from the top of the trail and to get back to your vehicle just as the sun is going down. Be Physically Fit and you will have a much nicer experience!.......................63bkpkr

True that

Good thing about hiking. If you're not fit before hand and you make it through without injury - you'll be healthier when you get back. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back