206.1 KB · Views: 819
  • ForumRunner_20130216_192541.png
    ForumRunner_20130216_192541.png
    146.6 KB · Views: 640
  • ForumRunner_20130216_192602.png
    ForumRunner_20130216_192602.png
    218.6 KB · Views: 914
Upvote 0
So would you say it worth the time and effort out there?? Have you tried any MD on the ground??

Mjarvis: I love gold, but the real reason I prospect is the chance to get out into nature. Even if I get not one color in my pan (pretty difficult around where I live, I got two colors out of a pan from the dirt in my basement!), as long as I get to listen to the river an smell the dirt I am happy and having fun! I grew up with no father and living in the city, so not much experience with nature as a child. I consider the river to be kinda my church, so to speak. I go there to contemplate life and my role in it.

Worst day mining still better than the best working, unless you mine gold for a living!

419GottaMinute said:
Mjarvis: I love gold, but the real reason I prospect is the chance to get out into nature. Even if I get not one color in my pan (pretty difficult around where I live, I got two colors out of a pan from the dirt in my basement!), as long as I get to listen to the river an smell the dirt I am happy and having fun! I grew up with no father and living in the city, so not much experience with nature as a child. I consider the river to be kinda my church, so to speak. I go there to contemplate life and my role in it.

Worst day mining still better than the best working, unless you mine gold for a living!

You said it, 419 amen!! I like your style great perspective on it. I've got the gold fever as well. I enjoy the outdoors too in many different ways I look forward to getting out there more in the summer months!! Good luck out there!!

Hey 419, I am new here and want to start panning. Going to Yankee Jim's is one of my favorite places to go hiking or just to enjoy the river. I was wondering if the whole area is open, or if there are claims around. One area in particular I want to try is the creek by the bridge.
I apologize if asking about locations is looked down upon.

Hey 419, I am new here and want to start panning. Going to Yankee Jim's is one of my favorite places to go hiking or just to enjoy the river. I was wondering if the whole area is open, or if there are claims around. One area in particular I want to try is the creek by the bridge.
I apologize if asking about locations is looked down upon.

I actually just read an old post of yours about the creek. That's a shame. I love hiking up it.

No prob. Shirt tail creek is the creek by the bridge, and its not claimed for a good stretch up frim the bridge. Downstream from the bridge is brushy creek, its not claimed either, but there are private property cabins on other side of this creek. Yankee has good gold if you know where to look

All gone, might be a few little bits left in extremely shady area s, but even that will be gone shortly. Beautiful weather outside!

Not to say its not cold as crap at night or when the wind is blowing right now. Plus the water is freezin!

Last edited:
First trip to Yankee Jims today and heard a hissing sound when I returned to the parking area. I realized the SUV next to me had a bolt in the tire and not the best place for a flat! We located the owners and let them know.

Sucky! Good on you for letting them know!

I thought you were going to say rattler

I made my hike out of Yankee jims around 3 or so today.. I would have been upset if that was mine!!!

Madmarshall sweats out more knowledge about that stretch of river than I will probably ever know. Any info he gives you is gold in your pan. :-)

Norcalpilot. How did you do up at Yankee Jim's??

Sweet! When you go to ponderosa, do you normally snipe bedrock and cracks?

Also, if you're interested in sniping mineral go upstream from the bridge, the bedrock exposed is awe inspiring

419. What sized mesh are you using on the blue bowl? How far down the side are you "spinning" the water. I have a bowl, but if I don't get it right I'm taking it to a frisbee park!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back