🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Bronze cylindrical thing.

Urien of Rheged

Mar 7, 2024
I found this close to where I was fortunate enough to.come across a Bronze age Spear head (circa 1800 - 1500 BC)
It weighs 40 grams and if you look carefully you can see there are two tiny insert holes at either end.
Now I realise that just because it was found in the vicinity of that Spear head doesnt mean its contempory but it certainly has some antiquity. I just don't have a clue as to what it's use is which would be a good start. Any help gratefully received.

Attachments

• IMG-20240920-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20240920-WA0001.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG-20240920-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20240920-WA0000.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 11
This may sound strange, but it looks like a very large "sewing" needle of some sort, but the size (diameter) is throwing me. 🤔🤨

Upvote 1
This may sound strange, but it looks like a very large "sewing" needle of some sort, but the size (diameter) is throwing me. 🤔🤨
The object is strange my friend not your interpretation of it.
It certainly has some antiquity and as I say I found it near to the 3500 year old Spearhead pictured and so I can't help but think it may well be ancient too.
I just need to identify what it is though before thinking of dates.

Thanks for your interest and help.

Attachments

• IMG-20240919-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20240919-WA0004.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 6
Upvote 2
That spearhead is an amazing find, and in amazing condition for its age & material. Kudos.

Last edited:
Upvote 1
That spearhead is an amazing find. Kudos.
When i first got into metal detecting I went to an organised dig not 10 miles from this findspot where a guy found one very similar. I was In awe and never imagined finding one myself but it was certainly on my bucket list from then on.
I was lucky enough to find three gold sovereign coins on three separate occasions during August but they do not compare to this.
When I popped open the clod on though I'd found a large bullet at first as all I could see was a large brownish piece of bronze led side on. But when I turned it and saw the arrow tip and those two lugs, I knew instantly it was special and it was bronze age.

Better than finding gold my friend. For me it doesn't get much better than this for a find.

Upvote 2
It weighs 40 grams and if you look carefully you can see there are two tiny insert holes at either end.
It did cross my mind when i first unearthed it that it was something for etching but then I noticed those four holes.
:icon_scratch: I missed any holes at the "sharp" end.

Something like a loom shuttle--used for weaving?

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back