🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Bronze cylindrical thing.

Urien of Rheged

Mar 7, 2024
I found this close to where I was fortunate enough to.come across a Bronze age Spear head (circa 1800 - 1500 BC)
It weighs 40 grams and if you look carefully you can see there are two tiny insert holes at either end.
Now I realise that just because it was found in the vicinity of that Spear head doesnt mean its contempory but it certainly has some antiquity. I just don't have a clue as to what it's use is which would be a good start. Any help gratefully received.

Attachments

• IMG-20240920-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20240920-WA0001.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG-20240920-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20240920-WA0000.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 14
This may sound strange, but it looks like a very large "sewing" needle of some sort, but the size (diameter) is throwing me. 🤔🤨

Upvote 1
This may sound strange, but it looks like a very large "sewing" needle of some sort, but the size (diameter) is throwing me. 🤔🤨
The object is strange my friend not your interpretation of it.
It certainly has some antiquity and as I say I found it near to the 3500 year old Spearhead pictured and so I can't help but think it may well be ancient too.
I just need to identify what it is though before thinking of dates.

Thanks for your interest and help.

Attachments

• IMG-20240919-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20240919-WA0004.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 7
Upvote 2
That spearhead is an amazing find, and in amazing condition for its age & material. Kudos.

Last edited:
Upvote 1
That spearhead is an amazing find. Kudos.
When i first got into metal detecting I went to an organised dig not 10 miles from this findspot where a guy found one very similar. I was In awe and never imagined finding one myself but it was certainly on my bucket list from then on.
I was lucky enough to find three gold sovereign coins on three separate occasions during August but they do not compare to this.
When I popped open the clod on though I'd found a large bullet at first as all I could see was a large brownish piece of bronze led side on. But when I turned it and saw the arrow tip and those two lugs, I knew instantly it was special and it was bronze age.

Better than finding gold my friend. For me it doesn't get much better than this for a find.

Upvote 2
It weighs 40 grams and if you look carefully you can see there are two tiny insert holes at either end.
It did cross my mind when i first unearthed it that it was something for etching but then I noticed those four holes.
:icon_scratch: I missed any holes at the "sharp" end.

Something like a loom shuttle--used for weaving?

Upvote 1
I found this close to where I was fortunate enough to.come across a Bronze age Spear head (circa 1800 - 1500 BC)
Now I realise that just because it was found in the vicinity of that Spear head doesnt mean its contempory but it certainly has some antiquity. I just don't have a clue as to what it's use is which would be a good start. Any help gratefully received.
It sure has the look of a bronze age item.
Congratulations on recovery.

Upvote 1
The object is strange my friend not your interpretation of it.
It certainly has some antiquity and as I say I found it near to the 3500 year old Spearhead pictured and so I can't help but think it may well be ancient too.
I just need to identify what it is though before thinking of dates.

Thanks for your interest and help.
That is a really beautiful socketed Spear head. One of the best I have ever seen 😍
Certainly a recovery that makes all others pale in the display.
Screenshot_20240921_075549_Chrome.jpg

Upvote 1
Thanks pepper but without even knowing what this damn thing is im reluctant to take a lap of honour just yet.
Yes I have been guilty many a time in believing something was something else.

Bronze age vs hanging clock weight/pendulum. 🤣

Upvote 1
That is a really beautiful socketed Spear head. One of the best I have ever seen 😍
Certainly a recovery that makes all others pale in the display.
View attachment 2170244
Yes it's sat in my display cabinet now and looks so good I might start charging people to see it😆
I still haven't even began to cover that area yet with my machine hopefully there are some swords and other ancient war relics to join it soon.
It will go to the FLO which is a pain as they dont exactky hurry to record and give back.
If they guaranteed it would be displayed I'd happily donate to museum though.
In think its too good to sit in my little old cabinet but if it just goes into some storage then bollocks.

Upvote 1
Yes I have been guilty many a time in believing something was something else.

Bronze age vs hanging clock weight/pendulum. 🤣
That last one isnt a bad call. Will look into that too. I dont want to wish it into something I want to know exactly what this is.

Upvote 1
Yes it's sat in my display cabinet now and looks so good I might start charging people to see it😆
I still haven't even began to cover that area yet with my machine hopefully there are some swords and other ancient war relics to join it soon.
It will go to the FLO which is a pain as they dont exactky hurry to record and give back.
If they guaranteed it would be displayed I'd happily donate to museum though.
In think its too good to sit in my little old cabinet but if it just goes into some storage then bollocks.
Seems that there's different FLOs when it comes to getting a faster response.

There's the energetic bunny vs the cricket mode.

Though the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Upvote 1
That last one isnt a bad call. Will look into that too. I dont want to wish it into something I want to know exactly what this is.
Digging in your dirt it can be such a wide range of history.
Discounting our "Float copper" (copper artifacts)
350 yrs old pretty well covers most everything that is recovered over here.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back