Big BU condition silver dime score in "old style" coin wrappers from a likely collection dump

CJ9

Dec 15, 2018
NYC area
Primary Interest:
Other
Went into a bank I haven't been to in a bit and asked for $80 in dimes and $20 in nickels (which is what I usually ask for at all banks). As part of the dimes, 7 of the rolls were these old style types. As the teller handed them to me, I could see that they were unopened and that the date was written on them (I thought 1968). Got into the car and took a look and stunned to see 2 solid unopened rolls from 1960 and 5 from 1958. Went back into the bank and asked if they had any more of these and I said that they are old and I am going to keep them, and the teller said he had one more and sold it to me (was another 1958 roll).

8 total rolls of BU silver dimes: 6 from 1958 and 2 from 1960.

One of the rolls looked as if it had been opened on one end, so I opened it to take a look and the coins are all in BU condition. The enders are tarnished.

Stupid me didn't ask for quarters or halves. Going to try to get back there tomorrow - its about 20 miles away.

Thanks for looking

Update
Went back to the bank today (8/24) and the same teller was there (luckily for me so I wouldn't need to go back there in the coming days). I said that you sold me dimes like in these rolls (I brought one of them with me) and I asked if there were quarters or halves. He said none like that. Although he did have $30 in halves. He said that a woman brought the dimes in after cleaning out her mother's house.

I bought the halves, and 2 of the 3 rolls had been searched - I could tell because one of them was a MWR roll that was folded at one end. The other roll had been taped closed at both ends originally, but at one of the ends most of the tape was gone. So I knew those were skunks. The third roll had a lone 1968D 40% silver - so in addition to satisfying my curiosity of there being more coins as part of this collection dump, I came away with a bit more silver.

dime rolls 8-22.jpg
dime rolls 8-22a.jpg
dime rolls 8-22b.jpg

half 8-24.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 11
Went into a bank I haven't been to in a bit and asked for $80 in dimes and $20 in nickels (which is what I usually ask for at all banks). As part of the dimes, 7 of the rolls were these old style types. As the teller handed them to me I could see that they were unopened and that the date was written on them (I thought 1968). Got into the car and took a look and stunned to see 2 solid unopened rolls from 1960 and 5 from 1958. Went back into the bank and said asked if they had any more of these and I said that they are old and I am going to keep them and the teller said he had one more and sold it to me (was another 1958 roll).

8 total rolls of BU silver dimes: 6 from 1958 and 2 from 1960.

One of the rolls looked as if it had been opened on one end, so I opened it to take a look and the coins are all in BU condition. The enders are tarnished.

Stupid me didn't ask for quarters or halves. Going to try to get back there tomorrow - its about 15 miles away.

Thanks for looking

View attachment 2165281View attachment 2165282View attachment 2165283
Now that is a great score.
Congratulations

I don’t know what they did to the ends, but the rest of the roll looks incredible! Nice score!

Awesome! That's better than anything I've found yet. People rarely turn in CWRs where I live.

Reactions: CJ9
That is a nice score! $800 in melt, and BU as well. Part of an emerging pattern in certain areas. On a Facebook CRH group, a guy from Suffolk County LI just got a monster box - $498.50 in 40%, $1.00 in 90% and a Greek commemorative that is 83.5%. Never had that kind of luck with CRH - amazing silver is still out there in quantity like that.

Facebook CRH group: Coin Roll Hunting USA

Reactions: CJ9
Awesome! That's better than anything I've found yet. People rarely turn in CWRs where I live.
Actually I only search CWRs in dimes, when I get MWRs I ask for CWRs. And if they don't have any CWRs, I either tell them I collect coins so I don't want MWRs or I just take them and then dump them later on. Occasionally I will search them, but most times, I just dump them back without looking at them.

That is a nice score! $800 in melt, and BU as well. Part of an emerging pattern in certain areas. On a Facebook CRH group, a guy from Suffolk County LI just got a monster box - $498.50 in 40%, $1.00 in 90% and a Greek commemorative that is 83.5%. Never had that kind of luck with CRH - amazing silver is still out there in quantity like that.

Facebook CRH group: Coin Roll Hunting USA
Thanks. Yeah, I think being in the Northeast is an advantage. I figure it was settled so long ago that many generations of people have lived here (same goes for the Midwest and Mid-Atlantic and parts of the South and West Coast I think). My sense is that places that were relatively small in population in say 1950 that are large now (say Phoenix or Austin, TX) are probably not that great to consistently CRH as all the population growth has been in the post-silver era. I have no idea of this, just my opinion.

I always ask for CWRs, but I have various issues with obtaining them. I have some banks that don't take rolls and make you use the coin machine, and one that sends all CWRs away and won't let me have them. Most of the rest only have a few or none. If I only did CWRs, then I would only be able to do a fraction of the searching that I currently do. I haven't seen a CWR half dollar roll that isn't from another searcher or myself since March I believe.
The only thing I don't like is when people short the rolls, in particular the dollar coin rolls. >:(

I do prefer them when I can get them, however, since I am still hoping to find a pile of silver somewhere like you did. I have only had luck finding wheat rolls and one half roll that was mostly 40%ers, no solid silver stripe for me yet.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back