In search of Captain Avery's treasure

Gidday Bart how did you go with your trip?

Crow
popcorn gif.gif

Now shipwreck explorers Dr Sean Kingsley and Rex Cowen claim to have solved what they call the longest cold case in pirate history: the “pirate king” had entered the service of the king of England, William III, as a spy.

Operating within a tangled web of royal espionage, conspiracy and subterfuge, Avery dedicated himself to protecting the English crown from dangers at home and abroad, apparently having exchanged part of his loot for a royal pardon.

The evidence lies in a previously unpublished coded letter written by “Avery the Pirate” from Falmouth in Cornwall. It had lain, forgotten, in a Scottish archive after being misfiled.

You can see the document below.

View attachment 2140608

Makes you wonder what else has been miss filed in the archives over the years?

It is dated December 1700, four years after his disappearance following the looting of the ship belonging to the Mughal emperor Aurangzeb, then the world’s richest man.

Kingsley and Cowan discovered that the letter links Avery with one of the first great spy rings, believed to have included Daniel Defoe, the Robinson Crusoe author, and Thomas Tenison, the archbishop of Canterbury. Together, they were protecting Protestant England from the threat of “popery”, a Catholic invasion from France and an enemy seizing the throne.

The letter was found by Cowan’s late wife, Zélide, when the pair were tracking down sunken Dutch East India Company traders.

Kingsley said: “She knew she had stumbled across a once-in-a-lifetime historical treasure.”

Kingsley, a marine archaeologist who is editor-in-chief of Wreckwatch Magazine and co-directing a Bahamas Project to dive for lost pirate ships, spoke of the excitement of the letter’s discovery considering Avery’s importance in pirate history and our “eternal fascination” with such sea dogs.

Tantalisingly, half of the letter cannot be read, as it is in a numeric code, he said: “In 1700, who writes in code? British diplomats and spies.”

“We spent years trying to decipher Avery’s secret,” Cowan said. Various experts, including some who worked for the CIA, have tried in vain.

In one passage, Avery wrote: “I am not the least concerned for Tank 29 f B26 being out of the T9211597.” Its meaning remains secret.

Elsewhere he referred to meeting his contact that evening and working with “noe suspicion upon any Account”.

The letter notes that a reply was to be addressed to the “posthouse” in Falmouth. Kingsley said: “Falmouth in 1700 is where the post office is. That’s where the package ships go from. So if you want to be in a place to influence, intercept and stop threats, that’s where you might be.”

Kingsley and Cowan say that at that time Defoe was in Cornwall, posing as a shipwreck treasure diver named Claude Guilot. Defoe worked in intelligence for William III in 1692 and invented a numeric code for sending letters.

The letter’s recipient was Reverend James Richardson in Orange Street, London. Research reveals that it was the address of the capital’s first public lending library, set up by Tenison with Richardson as librarian. The address is so obscure that it is among several features that reassured Kingsley and Cowan that the letter is authentic: “No scammer would know to address a bogus letter there.”

One of the king’s aides saw Tenison illegally opening letters from Catholics that had been intercepted from the post office, describing him as a master forger – “so dangerous an art that, unless his Majesty commands him, I perceive he is desirous it should be discovered to nobody”.

So is this above document a clue to buried treasure with code. So all of you code breakers have some fun trying to decode.

Perhaps it will answer some questions about the fate of Captain Every and maybe just maybe a clue to a buried treasure?

Crow
I have certain suspicions about this letter. I am not criticizing or doubting the finding, but there are certain contradictions in Avery having been a British Spy. Analyze with me: Avery was the first man to be hunted worldwide, He shook up East India relations by causing the Mughals to arrest and execute any Englishmen in their territories. In fact, the relationship between England and the Mughals was very profitable for both, would the King really risk saving the life of a spy and destroying an international trade relationship? (Regardless of whether or not Avery was a spy before or after the robbery)

All of Avery's men who were captured were executed by the English government. To claim that he was pardoned and became a spy seems far-fetched. He also claims that Avery offered half of his treasure to buy the pardon, if that were true There would be archaeological evidence of Mughal gold all over England, and none has ever been found. Something stated is that the address and codes seem to be too specific to have been forged, I wanted to be able to analyze the codes more deeply, but those who made the find did not publish everything.
The supposed letter written by Avery from which they got all the information. They said it was encrypted, and that they only managed to decipher half of it. A letter between the King's spies. What kind of spy would sign his own name to a secret letter? An example of this is John Dee He signed his secret letters to the Queen with a symbol resembling 007 (he was the original).

Avery, the English spy who revealed his entire history in a secret letter and signed his own name on it. Many things are missing, in fact, several at the time declared that they knew where Avery and his treasure were, I think a lot about this letter being one of those fake letters at the time. When Avery was on his last sighting, Dublin, witnesses saw him and the crew with the Treasure, so I don't think he buried it halfway. Avery said: I'm going to Scotland, then returning to my home in Devon. One hypothesis to be worked on is that Avery could have been a Freemason, which would justify his visit to Scotland. I have evidence of this theory, I can present it here if you guys want.

Hello Sam Reder

I have suspicions also. That Avery had nothing to do with those claims. around the time the first attempts of the Act of the Union taking place between Scotland England. Many Scottish nationals was unhappy with the proposed merging of the two crowns act of union with English crown.

They put into effect the Treaty of Union agreed on 22 July 1706, which merged the previously separate Kingdom of England and Kingdom of Scotland into a single Kingdom of Great Britain. The Acts took effect on 1 May 1707, creating the Parliament of Great Britain, based in the Palace of Westminster

While Avery missing but notorious known as pirate. The letter could of been an forged political attempt to discredit the English crown by being connected with Avery the notorious pirate? Scottish free masonry was pro Scotland. As a lot of Scottish nobility had a lot to lose from union.

Anyway that is just hypothesis. please feel free to post your theory. As it helps all of us to get a better insight to what happened to Avery.

Crow

Last edited:
Here is part 2 of the document.

1700 averey pirate letter 2.jpg

So amigos tell me what you think.

Me personally I am not sure Avery was even literate to begin with? That may be the reason for two spelling versions of name. Because others was writing on his behalf.

That is why I am Leaning towards some things being claimed as his was political smoke and mirrors by interested parties that had their own political agendas at the time.

However I am open to change that view as with these stories and long experience some times things are not what they seem.

You should be able blow up the image yourself and give us your thoughts.

Crow

Well I regret not getting to my spot, but piracy continued for 100 more years after the GOLDEN AGE OF PIRACY. The far out islands saw many unwritten history moments that are yet to be discovered. Dispersed pirates settled all across the out islands and practiced privateering, Wrecking, smuggling, and I'm sure piracy when they could get away with it. There family names are still prevalent amongst islanders !! So I missed my shot at where I think Avery rested and went ashore, and ended up way off the path on another island adventure for pirates !!
20240907_164606.jpg
20240907_202407.jpg
VideoCapture_20240908-081520.jpg
20240907_135924.jpg
VideoCapture_20240908-074443.jpg
20240911_165035.jpg
20240911_164656.jpg

“1 Chest. **** wood, 2 feet long & 1ft wide. In it were precious stones and bracelets, large rubies, sapphires, emeralds, topazes and diamonds.
2nd Chest. Almost the same size & made as the first, 120 ingots of gold, 40 thick flat pieces of gold as large as a round tobacco box with various characters on some of them, 25 bars of gold, some of which were 4 or 5 inches long.
3rd Chest has 3000 pieces of 8 besides Bullion not weighed but crammed in with pieces of brocades.”

Whats is interest the description of this 1700 ad document of treasure is very similar to another document ?

At archive in Cornwall. the same description. This intriguing document suggests Avery (or Henry Every) the pirate buried his treasure near the Lizard after his daring 1695 raid on ships in the Arabian sea (J/1/2277).

Both documents are almost identical in the description of the contents of 3 chests.

Crow

Well I regret not getting to my spot, but piracy continued for 100 more years after the GOLDEN AGE OF PIRACY. The far out islands saw many unwritten history moments that are yet to be discovered. Dispersed pirates settled all across the out islands and practiced privateering, Wrecking, smuggling, and I'm sure piracy when they could get away with it. There family names are still prevalent amongst islanders !! So I missed my shot at where I think Avery rested and went ashore, and ended up way off the path on another island adventure for pirates !!View attachment 2168672View attachment 2168673View attachment 2168674View attachment 2168675View attachment 2168676View attachment 2168677View attachment 2168678
Gidday Bart

A quick question do you know or ever come across a place known locally as bull Key or Bull Cay in the Bahamas?

Crow

Gidday Bart

A quick question do you know or ever come across a place known locally as bull Key or Bull Cay in the Bahamas?

Crow
There is a place called:
Big Bullard Cay
A beautiful Private Island with great views and elevations up to 40 feet in the center of Cay. The Cay is also known as Goat Cay or Mrs. Bullards Goat Cay. The Cay is situate on the southwestern coast of Great Exuma.

The southeastern tip of Big Bullard Cay is situate only about 400 feet from the area known as Deadman's Cay on the mainland of Great Exuma. A deep channel separates the Cay from the mainland at that SE tip. The southern side of the Cay is bordered by shallow water, the greater portion by marl and mangroves.

Gidday Bart

Crow
Nope...not to my knowledge...I will ask and look !!

Nope...not to my knowledge...I will ask and look !!

It could be near north cat cay or cat Island. It might of been an old name not used anymore for certain a cay. It might be on maps around 1820 give or take a few decades. today the cay might have a completely different name?

Crow

It could be near north cat cay or cat Island. It might of been an old name not used anymore for certain a cay. It might be on maps around 1820 give or take a few decades. today the cay might have a completely different name?

Crow
I should add it is a little deviation off topic so my apologies.

The following treasure The treasure was said to be worth $7.5 million, including $75,000 in Spanish coin. The bulk of the remainder in bar gold. Mitchell said there also was a cross of pure gold, manufactured for a church in Havana, weighing 17 pounds; a diamond as large as an egg, and two watches made for the Queen of Portugal.

Possibly if this is the correct location of Bull cay?

_2493_5b9bd1c7db5ae.jpg-1360-1100.jpg

_2493_5b9bd24ab14fc.jpg-1360-1100.jpg

_2493_5b9bd22b24cc0.jpg-1360-1100.jpg

_2493_5b9bd238c9d7d.jpg-1360-1100.jpg

There might be fortune dating back to 1815 -1816 underwater buried under sand awaiting discovery.

So regardless of what Henry Avery's treasure still exist in the Bahamas. The Bahamas its not short of treasure going back to days of piracy.

Crow

Yes...yes...now its plain to see my attraction !! All is true, and the more modern ruins are still an attraction to sailors, and adventurers!! I quickly dissolve into the bush, and have several spots that I prefer here.....everyone must take into account that not all the history here is accountable, and I believe the spanish had an attraction to the island. The English discovered it because the spanish had it marked, and watered here. They more than likely released livestock here....hence the islets named egg 🥚 island !! I have many sat photos going pretty far back, they show many ruins across all three islands, and egg islands show clear rock wall delineation between stock pens and plantations. The natural harbor is very defensible and should be considered. Pirates could have clearly defended this island fortress. The English inherited this island from the spanish, and would have continued to improve on earlier progress. Hence my lopez tobacco pipe find from early 1600s. I do believe the fancy would have anchored up close to deep water (for escape purpose)View attachment 2143266
The big red circle denote the entire Anchorage known as Meeks patch Anchorage. View attachment 2143267
I believe the fancy would have been here, and now you start to feel the vibe for where some crew might have went ashore if they did !! When you look on Google where there are some nice spots to land a long boat, it becomes apparent quite quickly!! Having been on the ground/ocean here its only possible to land on white sand if your not in the inner harbor.....most of the island is very rocky, and will destroy a boat in most conditions except becalmed.
Pssst.... scatter trail.

I cannot comment on the machine in question. The marine environment is terrible corrosive for electronics. computers etc. used various much vaunted equipment over the years many failed to live up to expectations. Everything get encrusted in salt even yourself. its in air and if there is moisture in the air humidity that salty corrosive moisture coats everything.

When spend time at sea ya learn the chores being swabie as everything get encrusted.

Crow
A day in the life on the sea.

I should add it is a little deviation off topic so my apologies.

The following treasure The treasure was said to be worth $7.5 million, including $75,000 in Spanish coin. The bulk of the remainder in bar gold. Mitchell said there also was a cross of pure gold, manufactured for a church in Havana, weighing 17 pounds; a diamond as large as an egg, and two watches made for the Queen of Portugal.

Possibly if this is the correct location of Bull cay?

View attachment 2168987

View attachment 2168988

View attachment 2168989

View attachment 2168990

There might be fortune dating back to 1815 -1816 underwater buried under sand awaiting discovery.

So regardless of what Henry Avery's treasure still exist in the Bahamas. The Bahamas its not short of treasure going back to days of piracy.

Crow
Much of the history involving the war of 1812 is very vague concerning the Bahamas....privateering was very prevalent during these years !! Many fortunes were won and lost during the time period !!

I have been in captain Thompson's foot steps. I've plundered some of the hidden silver that was burned in the houses he raided....Including royal island, Spanish wells, and harbor island !! He was thourogh in his plundering, and his exploits give a view into just how intense the privateer war was in the Bahamas. many privateers on the English side were successful and used the out islands to lurk and hunt the traditional shipping lanes !! Many of the failing plantations would have outfitted boats for wrecking, privateering, and smuggling....and honestly the line was blurred between piracy and privateering at this time !! Psssst.....the out islanders were ex pirate families from the golden age of piracy, practicing privateering inthe 1800s add to them the hardened loyalist from the revolutionary War, and you have a home of pirates disguised as plantation owners in the Bahamas outisland communities.....they would have been very active at this time, and there exploits are not very easy to find in the history books !! The treasures they looted are still around !! The museum in Spanish wells had a great quote from the islanders about captain Thompson and royal island.....he burnt there plantations and out buildings, and "stole there gold" in the museum narrative it speaks of people hiding there valuables hastily in the woods and bush as Thompson attacked. He attacked royal island for a reason....they were building a stong hold there with an arms depot, and a colony of royalist/loyalist that had a fortified harbor to launch privateering attacks against America!! They had to be burned out....and they were !! The revolutionary war was still fresh to both sides and the Bahamas was English!!

Screenshot_20240915_080803_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20240915_080529_Samsung Internet.jpg

Unofficial war in the islands was going on in the form of privateering for many years. The 750 dobloons were just some of them...the number of gold dobloons carried off from royal is also given in documents along with 17 ? More burnt homes !! That's 44 homes looted, and I've forgotten the number of homes burnt and looted at Spanish wells ?? This is only one narrative of the hostile actions going on in the Bahamas during the 1790s-1820s !! Everyone was armed, and everyone was still a pirate if they could get away with it !! That's the unwritten history that's still going on in the form of drug smuggling, and human trafficking today.....don't fool yourselves into believing the pirates aren't still there working....they are, and it is many of the same family names from characters that were active in the golden age of piracy!! Arrrrgh they still live mates!!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back