the berkshires
Detector(s) used
whites v3i, whites dfx

Attachments

• image-2175843066.jpg
    image-2175843066.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 606
Upvote 0
Very good find guy.... I'd do what exactly what post #9 says.... especially having a handle recreated for it. Super

Very nice and rare find, I also nominate it for Banner, it is very rare to find these in any condition and it should be noted and recognized as such

They are a rare item and hard to identify. You did well with the COA. May I ask what was the value for a dug artifact?

I was able to enlarge the COA, and see that the value is at $500

glad to see this finally made the banner!

Very nice iron artifact :notworthy: it is a first one i ever see make Banner that i can remember . beautiful war axe . Jim

I am having a hard time reading the COA. Is there any way you can give a brief over view? I have enjoyed watching this find.......

I Believe the ID says:

Mid to late 18th c. Iroquois Spike Tomahawk Head Possibly Mohawk

and $500.00 value ?

Well how cool is that. I clicked in and some iron made Banner. Congratulations sir :thumbsup: That is a nice unusual find for sure.

CONGRATULATIONS on finding a SUPER spike tommy!!! :thumbsup: And CONGRATS on making a very well deserved BANNER. Tis good to see 'some rust' finally on the banner. My SAMBO would be proud!!! :) Breezie

Nice tomahawk. Congrats, I found a pipe but not the spike type. Very cool!

Hey you made the banner!
Congratulations for climbing to the banner-top with your vintage climbing ice-pick! Hahaha, kidding...
Great find man!

Here's some better photos, probably not worth much monetarily, but how can I clean this item up and keep it's integrity? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
I use this method and it works very well...
Put it in a oven at the highest heat setting for 30 mins.... then with a pair of long handled pliers very carefully put it into soapy water.... the steam can burn… you may want to wear gloves ... you may have to do it twice .. Once cooled use a brass wire brush to clean the rush off .. Once its dry .. get some oil on it .... I found one similar it had kill notches filed in to it … and had scroll engraving on it … it sold on ebay for $2000.00 Great find.. really rare!

Attachments

• gall.jpg
    gall.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 137
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 134
Great find! Sure deserves a banner.

That must have been a great moment.

Thanks Tn for the interesting link. Some of my ancestors lived through the Iroquois Wars - and some didn't.

Last edited:
I have an old battle axe, I met her about 11 years ago.....

We have what we call " Bad Axe" here in Michigan.....nge

Shore looks like a tommy-hawk to me! Careful electrolysis+wax bath seems in order for this great find! CONGRATS!.....

Woooow, special find.
Do not know much about tomahawks either. Is it normal for them to be so small?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back