the berkshires
Detector(s) used
whites v3i, whites dfx

Attachments

• image-2175843066.jpg
    image-2175843066.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 606
Upvote 0
I found a very similar one but in rougher shape...the guy at the museum called mine a French boarding axe which makes sense since I found it at a early 1700s French site....banner find!

Last edited:
I would certainly find a way to stop the rusting process.

This is a banner find that won't make banner. Because it is iron.

Oh well! We ALL know that it is First Rate.

Congrats,

Buck

Let's see the top view so we can see the hole for the handle.

very nice find. im voting banner.

Just looked on your link... the real rusty one is me holding the one I found at an early french site...forgot about that site...
thanks for the link...

Before you decide to start cleaning and soaking in ACV check out this article on that style of axe. Nice find sir!

Page 3 Spike Tomahawks

Thanks for all the banner votes guys. Here's some pictures of the eyelet for the handle. I've been in contact with a conservationist at the nys museum in albany. How rare is it find one of these? I've found two Washington inaugural buttons which I know are rare, but I've gotten a lot more feedback on this item. Is it the subject matter, being American Indian? Thanks

Attachments

• image-2747731895.jpg
    image-2747731895.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 130
  • image-3867606820.jpg
    image-3867606820.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 111
Well I can personally tell you they are rare to find and I know only of one other here in Canada that was found and that one is questionable by the museum as it was found in a old home and may be a later reproduction... So rare like hen teeth here...

Yours is in really good shape. Thing is you may never get a positive I.D and if it was cleaned it might have a makers mark . Here is a trade axe pretty far gone from a site that was raided and they auctioned all the goods in 1779. I found it less than a block from the actual raided Indian site. It is just dipped in Polyurethane. It will never be any more than it is which is not much. You may want to consider electrolysis if you have a set up. I cleaned a giant orange mass and ended up with a nice hatchet with maker marks. Apple cider vinegar in my opinion is pretty nasty stuff long wait and I have trouble with flash rust when drying it out.
At least you can get a positive ID. I also think some old iron would look great on top.
Here is the one just cleaned and dipped in poly. I think yours deserves better than this.
100_4345.JPG

Last edited:
UPDATE.... Spike tomahawk, sent this out to mark miller, a tomahawk expert and has a great web page about axes, tomahawks and early trade items. I can't recommend him enough. He did an excellent job of conserving it and get me a coa which was very informative. I will warn you that he does NOT charge enough for his expertise. Thank all of you that make up a community that make treasurenet so great.

Attachments

• image-2736994817.jpg
    image-2736994817.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 189
  • image-377453414.jpg
    image-377453414.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 177
I am having a hard time reading the COA. Is there any way you can give a brief over view? I have enjoyed watching this find.......

Congrats,That is an awesome find!

I would be tickled to death if I dug one of those:icon_thumright:

HH,
Chris

Sorry my ipad doesn't take the best photos. 1750-1780 iriquois, probably Mohawk. Mostly found western ny but could easily been traded into the area I am in (30 miles east of albany right on the mass line) the area I am in was traveled greatly by Indians because of fort albany. Where I live used to be the main turnpike between albany and Boston. The coa tells measurements, angles and value.

Sorry my ipad doesn't take the best photos. 1750-1780 iriquois, probably Mohawk. Mostly found western ny but could easily been traded into the area I am in (30 miles east of albany right on the mass line) the area I am in was traveled greatly by Indians because of fort albany. Where I live used to be the main turnpike between albany and Boston. The coa tells measurements, angles and value.

They are a rare item and hard to identify. You did well with the COA. May I ask what was the value for a dug artifact?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back