Anyone know what this is? Best image search I got is listed below. About the size of a shotgun shell. Will post dimensions soon

KLC

Greenie
Jul 7, 2024
IMG_8654.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_8656.jpeg
    IMG_8656.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 181
  • IMG_8655.png
    IMG_8655.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 128
  • IMG_8653.jpeg
    IMG_8653.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 132
Last edited:
My vote goes for a early lip stick tube holder

Upvote 1
What does the other end look like? I can't tell if it's convex, flat, or concave.

If it is tapered--as it appears--then IDK how it would be lipstick ... unless the whole tube is the cover and it would have to be held by the base. I would also think there would be markings of some kind.

It reminds me of one of those tubes you put wooden matches in on camping trips. :dontknow:

Does it make any noise when gently shaken? (IOW, anything loose in it?)
What's the weight like?
A gentle shake gives off the sound of a broken(internally) lightbulb when you shake it, very subtle sound. It weighs .8 oz. The top is convex for sure. It’s definitely taken a beating throughout the years.

Attachments

• IMG_8664.jpeg
    IMG_8664.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_8667.jpeg
    IMG_8667.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_8666.jpeg
    IMG_8666.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 20
Upvote 3
I’m gonna say

Anyone have a helping suggestion on how to open this bad boy? I think it’s glued shut from weathering 🤷🏼‍♀️
I’d love to settle the color debate if it is in fact lipstick

Upvote 0
The first one I found in the mid 1980's looked just like this one. I grabbed the ribbed end with a pair of pliers and twisted and yanked until it came apart. Damaged it badly, but I HAD to see what was inside.

Upvote 0
I’m gonna say

Anyone have a helping suggestion on how to open this bad boy? I think it’s glued shut from weathering 🤷🏼‍♀️
Could try a little PB Blaster or mix some kerosene with transmission fluid (50-50 mixture). These are common things we use when cleaning guns and getting frozen screws out of guns.

I recently removed the frozen butt stock screws from a M1917 Enfield using the kerosene ATF mix. In my case I dribble a bit of the mixture on the screw heads, and reapplied it thoughout the day. Viola the next day they broke loose with a loud crack (Thought I snapped the screws or cracked the stock, but I didn't), and then out they came.

Take a old container and put just enough of the kerosene/ATF mix to go just above the threaded section. Stand it up in the mix and let it sit for a day. Then apply heat (Hair dryer works great for this) using mechanics gloves, tighten, then loosen, this is done to break the seal, then attempt to unscrew. If it doesn't unscrew, repeat the steps from the beginning. Depending on how frozen up it is, it might take a few days of soaking for it to finally release.

Last edited:
Upvote 1
I’d love to settle the color debate if it is in fact lipstick
Hello sir.... Outside of our off topic comments about any color (humor) I don't think you have anything worth a penny or a nickel. But I do agree that a pair of pliers on both ends might open the "tube" if it is one.

How about this.... put it into a bowl of "something" like WD-40 or something like it then wait, roll around, pull a little and in the end just get mid-evil with it...?

EDIT: I now see I'm late with this suggestion. But I'd soak it and pull on it.

Upvote 0
A gentle shake gives off the sound of a broken(internally) lightbulb when you shake it, very subtle sound. It weighs .8 oz. The top is convex for sure. It’s definitely taken a beating throughout the years.
It must be the angle (or my eyes) but I'm not seeing the taper I saw in the first pics, which changes a lot.

Some type of cosmetic makes more sense now, but I would have thought there'd be some kind of decoration/markings. Brass, right?

Upvote 0
If you're not concerned about dissolving whatever may be left inside, you might try an ultrasonic cleaner to help vibrate loose whatever crud is gluing it shut.

It’s definitely taken a beating throughout the years.
Unfortunately, ultrasonic cleaning (or any solvents) likely won't work if the thing is bent/dented/deformed. That likely will take some brute force.

Upvote 0
You could try this method-

Scrub it really well with a toothbrush.
Put the end you want to open in hot to the touch, but not too hot water(Not boiling water).
Let it get wet and hot.
Take it out of the water.
Place it upright in a freezer for 10 to 15 minutes till it's frozen.
Repeat cycle a couple times.

This sometimes makes things work loose.

Upvote 2

Put the end you want to open in hot to the touch, but not too hot water(Not boiling water).
Let it get wet and hot.

That's really interesting.
Thanks for your reply.

Upvote 0
Hello sir.... Outside of our off topic comments about any color (humor) I don't think you have anything worth a penny or a nickel. But I do agree that a pair of pliers on both ends might open the "tube" if it is one.

How about this.... put it into a bowl of "something" like WD-40 or something like it then wait, roll around, pull a little and in the end just get mid-evil with it...?

EDIT: I now see I'm late with this suggestion. But I'd soak it and pull on it.
Hey now! This is a family show !!!

Upvote 1

Let it get wet and hot.

Thank you! Will for sure keep note of this method 😀

Upvote 0
It must be the angle (or my eyes) but I'm not seeing the taper I saw in the first pics, which changes a lot.

Some type of cosmetic makes more sense now, but I would have thought there'd be some kind of decoration/markings. Brass, right?
I would think there would be markings on it too. It’s so beat up though it’s hard to tell. It is brass. Gonna try to officially open it with methods suggested tomorrow 👍🏼

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back