✅ SOLVED Any Ideas what this Brass item is??

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

I found two of these items--flat brass items with two holes for rivets/nails in them. They looked at the time like they would have some sort of stamping on them, but both are plain... The older one has some design and it is cast. It also has a part of an old nail still in one hole of it...

2008 8-14 001.jpg

2008 8-14 003.jpg

2008 8-14 002.jpg

I found this one online that was stamped "CS" from a CW camp--the finder at the site says that it's a "watch fob" but it obviously isn't...and it's the same dimensions as the plain oval one I found (pictured above). I'm not suggesting that these are war related, but I'm just wondering what the heck they are... :icon_scratch:

CS disk.jpg

http://www.midtenrelics.com/buttons.htm (See #2, second photo...)

Regards,

Buckleboy

Upvote 0
But what the heck is it? Do you think it has anything to do with that acorn thing? :wink: M ;D nty

Upvote 0
4-H staff said:
Hey BB, here is mine found at a Rev Site in NC. I was told they are called (excuse me if its spelled wrong) Escutcheon plates. a rifle part. ???
Escutcheon Plate:
1. Heraldry A shield or shield-shaped emblem bearing a coat of arms.
2. An ornamental or protective plate, as for a keyhole.
3. Nautical The plate on the stern of a ship inscribed with the ship's name

Its unlikely to be any of the above, especially a rifle part. Its horse related, in my opinion.

Upvote 0
CRUSADER said:
4-H staff said:
Hey BB, here is mine found at a Rev Site in NC. I was told they are called (excuse me if its spelled wrong) Escutcheon plates. a rifle part. ???
Escutcheon Plate:
1. Heraldry A shield or shield-shaped emblem bearing a coat of arms.
2. An ornamental or protective plate, as for a keyhole.
3. Nautical The plate on the stern of a ship inscribed with the ship's name

Its unlikely to be any of the above, especially a rifle part. Its horse related, in my opinion.

I think they're horse-related too, but we haven't been able to find one listed anywhere yet. It seems that these items should not be so hard to find in a book or online non-dug somewhere, since they are so prevalent in the U.S. and Europe. :icon_scratch:

After looking again at the photos of saddles posted here, I strongly suspect that they're some sort of saddle brass. I'm not to the stage yet where I'm willing to offer a Reward for an ID, but I'm getting there. 8)

-Buckles

Upvote 0
Hey BB, I was just told that there is Revolutionary war refference book with the name of something like "Crabboks" or something similar to that name that shows these as a rifle part. I haven't seen it but, the guy from up state New York swears it's there. I'll keep looking...mike

Upvote 0
4-H staff said:
Hey BB, I was just told that there is Revolutionary war refference book with the name of something like "Crabboks" or something similar to that name that shows these as a rifle part. I haven't seen it but, the guy from up state New York swears it's there. I'll keep looking...mike

If there is a similar shaped object which is a rifle part, then OK. But with the amount found in the UK, it CAN'T account for them all.

Upvote 0
4-H staff said:

See if you can track that book down.

I like to post the toughies--the stuff that everyone finds, but no one can ID. :-\

Seems like if it were in a relic reference book, someone would have ID'ed it on this post already--but hopefully I'm wrong. And I agree with Crusader--if there are a lot found over there, then almost guaranteed horse furniture.

See what you can find out though. Any information will help.

Best Wishes,

Buckles

Upvote 0
4-H staff said:
Ok, BB The Author of the book is "Newman and Crabboks" or something like that. One of my digging buddies brother Is a broker of sales of CW items who has the book. I will post what the title of the book is when I find out more. Take care , mike

Thanks! Keep me posted. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
Obscure records reveal that in 1862 Lincoln decided to address the problem
of lackadaisical morale in the troops by authorizing troupes of entertainers
to perform near the front lines all across Dixie. His cabinet refused to fund
any endeavor until Abe convinced them to utilize freed slaves to perform tap
dancing routines free of charge.

Hence the abundance of shoe taps across the theatre of war.

lastleg

Upvote 0
BB, Hey, I got a reply back and here is Steves comment:---->That’s George C. Neumann and Frank J. Kravic who authored “Collector’s Illustrated Encyclopedia of the American Revolution.” I believe it is out of print, but now that you have the title and correct spelling of the authors’ names you might have better luck locating a copy.

I am pretty sure your oval is simply an escutcheon of some type. It isn’t an accoutrement plate. The two holes were for attaching to wood or leather, most likely as a name plate or for decoration. I presume it is flat?

Steve

Upvote 0
lastleg said:

lastleg

Did Lincoln ship the slaves over to England to tapdance there too? That must explain why so many taps are found there as well. :tongue3:

Upvote 0
BuckleBoy said:
lastleg said:

lastleg

Did Lincoln ship the slaves over to England to tapdance there too? That must explain why so many taps are found there as well. :tongue3:

of course all our farmer workers were proficient in tap, it help bring in the harvest

Upvote 0
I believe what was pictured in the first post of this longggg thread is, I believe, an escutcheon plate. It is indeed part of a pistol or musket rifle. They come in brass and sometimes were individualized by the person that carried it. I have also found two on a rev war to 1813 site. One of which has engraved wheat leaves along top and bottom and serations around holes. Go to yahoo search and type in "escutcheon plate" and the descriptions are paired with the rifle or pistol and show plainly what it is. I can't speak for the other pics (there are many, but the one that started this is an escuteon plate. Hope this helps. I have included my pics here as well with some of the relics found on the site.

Attachments

• escutcheon1.jpg
    escutcheon1.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 668
  • escutcheon2.jpg
    escutcheon2.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 667
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back