Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Went to the 1820’s property for a hour and did pretty good. I got a gold guilt, looks like another floral and can’t read what is says on the back, a clay marble, glass marble, old car and a black glass bottle neck. Looks like I’ll be starting bottle digging in 2019. Any opinion on the button feedback would be appreciated. Thanks for looking. IMG_1553.jpgIMG_1551.jpgIMG_1552.jpgIMG_1554.jpgShould I lemon juice the button?

Upvote 27

Attachments

• IMG_2108.jpg
    IMG_2108.jpg
    371.8 KB · Views: 62
So there is a Sandland Eaves & Co. button which is great odds that’s what it is, just can’t find anything on them.
Me neither.....Brightside: You are this far...:tongue3:

I’d like to thank my Tnet friends who spent their time helping me I’m very humbled. I’m satisfied with 1830-1850 and a name. I’ll leave it there.

Unless I can’t sleep tonight

Anytime Buddy... love this stuff...

So there is a Sandland Eaves & Co. button which is great odds that’s what it is, just can’t find anything on them.

I am almost certain lairmo hit a home run on this one as it definitely appears to have "Sandland Eaves & Co." as a backmark. I had pretty much determined that it said "Sandland" and first what I thought was "Davis & Co.", then "Eaves & Co" but no matter what configuration I thought of, did not match any backmarks on the web. Excellent ID lairmo!

I am almost certain lairmo hit a home run on this one as it definitely appears to have "Sandland Eaves & Co." as a backmark. I had pretty much determined that it said "Sandland" and first what I thought was "Davis & Co.", then "Eaves & Co" but no matter what configuration I thought of, did not match any backmarks on the web. Excellent ID lairmo!

It’s a shame that they didn’t have more information or pictures of more buttons than 1 and none on the whole entire internet.

I am wondering if the Eaves & Co. is the same William Eaves who was a famous Die Sinker/Engraver and significant figure in American History (see link below) or his' sons who likely carried on after their' Dad died!!?? Although William Eaves never signed his works (not sure if that meant he did not put Eaves & Sons or Eaves & Co. on buttons), I am thinking that the button was made by his' sons for Sandland which may have been a Clothier.

Eaves, William - Dick Johnson's Databank

I am wondering if the Eaves & Co. is the same William Eaves who was a famous Die Sinker/Engraver and significant figure in American History (see link below) or his' sons who likely carried on after their' Dad died!!?? Although William Eaves never signed his works (not sure if that meant he did not put Eaves & Sons or Eaves & Co. on buttons), I am thinking that the button was made by his' sons for Sandland which may have been a Clothier.

Eaves, William - Dick Johnson's Databank

More good info!

Brother I've looked all over and nothing!!! The only thing I could find was a reference to "Sandland & Hayes Co. showing the were in business from the 1830's to 1850. I'll keep looking Bro, but regardless, it's still a beautiful piece of 19th century history, Congrats!!! "D"

With things like this, all we generally find is vague information, sometimes a birth year for one of the owners, who they worked for, and what approximate years and the cities they were in business. Also if there is a military button with that backmark on it, those buttons get mentioned. You have a pretty good time frame delineated now. Think of this like trying to date an Everready battery. Well, they were made between BLANK and BLANK by this here company, owned by whoever, and on and on. That's about all. Scovills, Horstmann and Waterbury, especially Waterbury have more detailed information due to their extensive history, the small companies, not as much. Now if you wanted to do some flying you could of course look up land records, marriage records and generalogical records, but that would be relatively pointless.

Brother I've looked all over and nothing!!! The only thing I could find was a reference to "Sandland & Hayes Co. showing the were in business from the 1830's to 1850. I'll keep looking Bro, but regardless, it's still a beautiful piece of 19th century history, Congrats!!! "D"

Thanks my brotha for doing that for me it might be Hayes that’s something I didn’t even see.

Awesome relic Well done

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back