Andrea’s Pencils

Amazon site has a selection.
I don’t know what brand to recommend. Here is one set they have.
IMG_3500.jpeg

Can someone give me the address to purchase some of these pencils? Even better, can I get a pic of what they look like and maybe some tips on how to use them? Thanks!
Some years back I made a video of cleaning a large cent with Andre’s Pencils. It’s not great - I’m not a YouTube pro - but maybe it’ll help.

My tips:
- very light pressure. If you push too har you will break off patina
- I only ever used the pencil and the steel wool, in that order. Steel wool pencil very lightly.
- if you use up all the steel wool they give you in the set, you can “refill” the pencil with more steel wool that you twist to fit

I used them on a few of my coppers but wasn't impressed with them.

I used them on a few of my coppers but wasn't impressed with them.
I got mine ~ a month ago. Have only done 3-4 idianhead and wheat Pennies. I was happy with the outcome…..especially seeing as how I have ruined several large cents and an eagle with water and toothpicks.

Yes, Amazon or other - usually less than $20.00 a set shipped.

I use my "Andre Pencils" all the time - they work very well.
I also have a set of the "Composite Pencils" that comes with "Microcrystalline Wax".

Good Luck !

What do you use instead, Rebel? I'm always looking for better tools/techniques.
My method is a warm soapy water bath, followed by a good wash off.

Then I use a wool Dremel pad until I feel it's as clean as it's going to get. I do try to not mess with the patina.

Once I'm satisfied with how it looks, l coat it in ren wax and then buff with a new wool pad.

Some will say not to use water but that makes no sense to me seeing it's been in the ground exposed to the elements since it was lost.

My method is a warm soapy water bath, followed by a good wash off.

Then I use a wool Dremel pad until I feel it's as clean as it's going to get. I do try to not mess with the patina.

Once I'm satisfied with how it looks, l coat it in ren wax and then buff with a new wool pad.

Some will say not to use water but that makes no sense to me seeing it's been in the ground exposed to the elements since it was lost.
Very interesting, and I'm glad this works for you Rebel.

An important note might be that the coins I was finding were from New Jersey farm soils (fertilized and mineral rich), and those soils may differ from your soils.

Early on when I'd find a large copper from those NJ soils I would use water, and I washed away patina layers doing that. What I learned was that many of the large coppers from those NJ soils only had identifiable marks left in the dirt/patina, and once they washed away - I was left with an unidentifiable coin.

Once I started to only use dry methods (toothpicks, Andre's pencils) I got better results.
Now, personally I will not let water touch a large copper - but that's my personal opinion based on my situation. (Not trying to question your method for your coins from your areas.)

When I've pulled a "difficult" coin (one very hard to identify), and when dry methods won't work, I would then shift to using olive oil to try to get a "shine" on some identifiable feature.
As a last resort, I've used a Dremel on a few coins that I couldn't identify any other way, or when the corrosion was so bad that I couldn't remove it with anything else.

- Brian

That's a good point about your soil conditions.

I hunt the woods and our soils may also be different.

That's a good point about your soil conditions.

I hunt the woods and our soils may also be different.
Loamy vs acidic clay.
Get patina more from bush soils than wet clay that's for sure.
2 examples from this previous weeks.
Forest
20240815_182222.jpg
20240815_182211.jpg

1852 wet clay. If I wash it, then it's a brown detailed disk.
20240823_161118.jpg

Every token, LC dug here look the same.
Over 30 coppers

So I hear both sides of what works.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back