Oct 25, 2020
Reno Nevada summers, Las Vegas winters
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400, Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Legend, Nokta Accupoint
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went out to one of my favorite spots yesterday. Was a beatiful sunny day and 75 degrees f.

IMG_7712.jpg

Got a nice hardstone mano, a flat disk mano (peculiar to this area), a little humboldt point, an eastgate point, a little trade bead, a marble disk (looks like they started to drill it on both sides, probably for a pump drill flywheel) and a very peculiar piece of pottery.
Pottery is VERY uncommon in the Great Basin and this is only the 3rd time I've found any in 30+ years.
IMG_7713.jpg
IMG_7714.jpg
IMG_7698.JPG
IMG_7699.JPG

Upvote 19
Went out to one of my favorite spots yesterday. Was a beatiful sunny day and 75 degrees f.

View attachment 2168724

Got a nice hardstone mano, a flat disk mano (peculiar to this area), a little humboldt point, an eastgate point, a little trade bead, a marble disk (looks like they started to drill it on both sides, probably for a pump drill flywheel) and a very peculiar piece of pottery.
Pottery is VERY uncommon in the Great Basin and this is only the 3rd time I've found any in 30+ years.
View attachment 2168725View attachment 2168726View attachment 2168727View attachment 2168728
well done. with these findings

I love what appears to be an obsidian point! Congratulations on all those great finds.
Thanks AB, yes it's obsidian. About 9 out of 10 points I find are obsidian as there are many sources out here.

Beautiful points found in your area. I used to make regular trips to the mines in Northern Nevada. I'd start from our shop in Carlin and head west to Golconda and from there to Midus. From the last stop in Midus I'd head back to Elko for the night on the Midus-Tuscarora County Rd. I'd stop along the way on that road to look for artifacts and enjoy the late afternoon far and away from the civilized world. I found a nice black obsidian point and left it on a file cabinet in Carlin Shop. Someone must've took it, as it wasn't there the next time I was out that way. I'll probably never get out that way ever again, as my peddling on the road days are over.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240914_194254_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20240914_194254_Maps.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 4

View attachment 2168724

View attachment 2168725View attachment 2168726View attachment 2168727View attachment 2168728
Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Thanks AB, yes it's obsidian. About 9 out of 10 points I find are obsidian as there are many sources out here.
Indeed. Kinda why they named the one area Nevada the Black Rock Desert.

You had a real good day out finding artifacts.
Congratulations

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back