Am I the only one who packs heat while detecting?

I always carry, A little hard when in the water but I have other means at that time to take care of any problem. Just use you head out there. And don't carry in any Kiddie Lots!!!!

I'll tell you all that you won't find me
out in the woods without some heat.

I carry double heat :o

bengay.jpg

all have a good un..........
SHERMANVILLE

Here's my carry piece. A Kimber Ultra Carry II, 45ACP. It's a very safe piece to carry cocked and locked. I'm a lefty as you can see by the IWB and the safety is not ambi but I've gotten used to it. it's usually loaded with +P 165gr jhp's

Here's another one. I have to put wheels on this one and drag it behind me.

Attachments

• Kimber.jpg
    Kimber.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 1,571
  • Ruger 002.jpg
    Ruger 002.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 1,577
I usually carry a .40 glock 23. But, then again, that's not only while detecting. Just about the only place it doesn't go with me is into the courthouse.

Not to turn this into a gun control/"assault weapons" argument, but my "assault rifle" is a 24" AR-15. It shoots sub MAO groups at 700 yds. I use it to pick off woodchucks and coyotes at my parents' farm. Granted, it isn't the only one I have, but classifying and more importantly prohibiting/legislating, any weapon based on its attributes (magazine, pistol grip, folding stock, etc) is foolish.

When we had the '94 weapons ban, there was essentially 0 difference between some of the banned and unbanned weapons. A thumbhole stock, does not make a rifle any less dangerous than a pistol grip. A folding stock doesn't make a rifle more dangerous (acutally it makes them less accurate), and only marginally more concealable. A flash hider/supressor (not silencer) doens't make the rifle any quieter or less noticable. And having a limit on magazine capacity just means that it takes a competent person 2.5 seconds more to discharge 10 rounds.

Most of the gun control laws are knee jerk reactions to actual events. (Colombine shooting, North Hollywood bank robbery, etc). the laws are very seldom written by people who have even the slightest clue about firearms. The intentions are good, but the results are bad. We don't need more laws, we need to enforce the ones that already exist. Gun control takes firearms out of the hands on honest, law abiding citizens, and leaves them in the hands of criminals. Just about every study shows that there is lower violent crime (robberies, burglaries, rapes, etc) where there are liberal carry laws.

Wow... that turned into a complete rant. sorry to hijack the thread. Guns are good. Yes I "pack heat", and like someone already mentioned... i'll make the news if they come and try and take em.

BioProfessor said:
Carrying a weapon (pistol) while out in the woods MDing is a good thing.  Most of the time.  There are poisonous snakes to deal with, the occasional target for dinner, some dangerous critters that will attack (mountain lions for one in some parts of the US).  So having something better than a shovel can be the difference between life and death.  But there is a huge downside.  Most states have laws that pretty well define when you can legally shoot someone.  It usually involves danger to life and limb and USUALLY deals with people in your house who may be armed while they rob you so you are justified in shooting (killing) them.  There is an old saying about making sure you drag somebody you shoot and kill in your yard INSIDE the house before calling the police.  It's just the way the law is.

If you carry a weapon, it should NEVER be drawn and pointed at anything unless you intend to kill it.  That's why if someone points a weapon at you or at a police officer, deadly force is OK.  In the woods, it's going to be different.  You need to make sure you know the letter of the law about defending yourself outside your house (or car).  You need to be able to make the quick decision and make sure you are in the right.  Anything less may cause you to wind up in jail for quite a long time. 

So know the law backwards and forward and if you draw and point your weapon make sure you have made the decision to shoot to kill.  It's a difficult situation to be in.  Just be informed.

Daryl

Here are my laws explaining the use of deadly force...

"a person is justified in using deadly force in self defense to defend against imminent use of deadly force by another"

On March 29 2007, the Oregon Supreme Court ruled that Oregonians have no "duty to retreat" when faced with a violent confrontation. 

That means we can stand our ground when faced with a violent confrontation where there is a imminent use of deadly force.  We are not required by law to retreat or escape....However, it is always better to try to find a safe escape to avoid the use of deadly force.....It's just not required by law.

If I'm carring heat, you are not going to know about it.
Unless there is an invasion.

Is America that dangerous to live in?

I just don't want a to be lunch for bears.

RD

dunn1866 said:
Is America that dangerous to live in?

Yes, It is :-\ 1,823,400 violant crimes happened in the US in 2005....The good news is this rate is going down. In 1993, there were 4,190,000 violant crimes in the US.

ncsucr2.gif

Note the purple line on the graph Vs. the blue one....Thats the number of arrests made for violant crimes

Ok but don't you need a license to carry as well as a permit to own?
ANd what happens when you cross state lines. Won't I need another license from THAT State to carry?

Robert Roy

robert roy said:
ANd what happens when you cross state lines. Won't I need another license from THAT State to carry?

Robert Roy

Depends on your state laws. More then likely, here are the answers to your question.

Permit to own....No

Permit to carry concealed....Yes

Cross state line.... you need a permit for that state unless they recognize your home states permit.

Found out everything you need to know about your concealed carry laws here.... http://www.carryconcealed.net/legal/

robert roy said:

Robert Roy

Some states don't require a permit to own but do require a concealed carry license to pack. Crossing state lines used to be a problem but a lot of the states are reciprocating or honoring another state's CCW license.

http://www.ago.mo.gov/Concealed-Weapons/Concealed-Carry-Reciprocity-Missouri.htm

Each state has certain guidlines, you can click on your state for more info.

Hummmmmm.
I live in Indiana. I do have a prmit to carry. I have been thinking about crossing ove to ILL
to MD. I wonder who I would contact on the internet.
RobR

robert roy said:
Hummmmmm.
I live in Indiana. I do have a prmit to carry. I have been thinking about crossing ove to ILL
RobR

Better contact your lawyer LOL

Ill has no concealed weapon permits allowed and do not even issue them to their own residents. You take a firearm in that state concealed...Good luck!

robert roy said:
Hummmmmm.
RobR

The NRA website has that info. regarding what states "recognize" anothers CCW Permits.

Smitty

I've never carried anything more than my hunting knife while detecting. I guess I have never been anywhere where I felt like I was threatened in any way. You guys must live in a crazy area of the country.

Farmercal said:
I've never carried anything more than my hunting knife while detecting. I guess I have never been anywhere where I felt like I was threatened in any way. You guys must live in a crazy area of the country.

Yea - Me either... never carried while detecting. If I did it would be because of the critters, not the peoples.

However... while at work...

Montana Jim\'s guns.JPG

Can you find and name all 8?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back