VERMONTIS

Mar 27, 2013
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites PI 1000, whites xlt, whites v3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to a favorite sit the other day and thought I cleaned out my pouch, found this hiding in the bottom corner. At fist I thought it was a Indian head. After cleaning it up its not . Some kind of pendant ? Looked at first like the writing is scratched in but the letters seem to be raised? Birthday, wedding, memorial? Its just a touch thicker than a penny. Any help would be greatly appreciated =ED

Attachments

• A234 - 20130524_120233.bmp
    900.1 KB · Views: 131
  • A235 - 20130524_120346.bmp
    900.1 KB · Views: 128
  • A236 - 20130524_120511.bmp
    900.1 KB · Views: 147
  • A237 - 20130524_120557.bmp
    900.1 KB · Views: 145
  • A240 - 20130525_085430.bmp
    857.4 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
Possibly Love token Made from an Indian cent

Upvote 0
Thanks Jeff, but its thicker than a penny and the letters are raised? Kinda different ? Thanks for responding the other night ,I just didn't want to see a run away train with out pics LOL=ed

Upvote 0
metal_detector_vpnavy.gif
That (Alice Jones) is really a neat find VERMONTIS! Imagine - that puppy is over 130 years old...

Upvote 0
Possibly real. But for some reason not sitting right with me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Not quit sure how to take that?

Upvote 0
Don't know who she is, but that is a very cool find! Did you find it at a house site or in a location that might yield some clues?

Upvote 0
Found at a house site in a plowed field. I no I'm in the right spot when I see all the broken glass and pottery

Upvote 0
I was just talking out loud. There's a guy I know who has a couple similar items that were engraved but they were fake. Didn't mean to down it. The raised lettering of the name and the scratched in date just through me off that's all. Like I said it could be real.

Upvote 0
Found at a house site in a plowed field. I no I'm in the right spot when I see all the broken glass and pottery

Just wondering if tracing the tenancy of the old house might give some clues about that token.
[h=3][/h] of the old house

Upvote 0
The name on the 1850s map doesn't match Jones. Maybe a relative?

Upvote 0
If you can look a little closer :dontknow: there is nothing scratched in . All the letters are raised

Upvote 0
I could understand if the date was scratched in. What do you think about it being raised lettering? Not being rude.. I would like to know from a knowledgeable person.

Upvote 0
I could understand if the date was scratched in. What do you think about it being raised lettering? Not being rude.. I would like to know from a knowledgeable person.

That is a fine work of art .. a labor of love. It was all hand done by carefully removing the material from around the lettering which, by the way, is in period style. I forget what the method or relief is called, but "shaving" is what comes into mind. To me, that piece is a banner find..it is simply gorgeous!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back