VERMONTIS

Mar 27, 2013
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites PI 1000, whites xlt, whites v3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to a favorite sit the other day and thought I cleaned out my pouch, found this hiding in the bottom corner. At fist I thought it was a Indian head. After cleaning it up its not . Some kind of pendant ? Looked at first like the writing is scratched in but the letters seem to be raised? Birthday, wedding, memorial? Its just a touch thicker than a penny. Any help would be greatly appreciated =ED

Attachments

• A234 - 20130524_120233.bmp
    900.1 KB · Views: 131
  • A235 - 20130524_120346.bmp
    900.1 KB · Views: 128
  • A236 - 20130524_120511.bmp
    900.1 KB · Views: 147
  • A237 - 20130524_120557.bmp
    900.1 KB · Views: 145
  • A240 - 20130525_085430.bmp
    857.4 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
A while back I have seen one of these in a relic shop with the name on it like that but don't think it had a year. Anyway - Should be fairly easy too research the name and since you got the year also you should be able too pull up info on her (If not I think you should be able too find someone who is good on researching historical records,etc, shouldn't take them but a few hours if that) I'm pretty sure she lives close by or in New York somewhere. She was probably born sometime in the late 1840s or 1850s so look for Alice Jones around that time frame. I hope someone can help you out on researching her, if i get time tomorrow I will do some research if no one else is found her.

Upvote 0
Thanks H.S.D ,I'm gonna see the word Jones in my sleep. There are 2 many people with the name Jones .My thought on birth wedding or something worse

Upvote 0
Thanks Jeff, but its thicker than a penny and the letters are raised? Kinda different ? Thanks for responding the other night ,I just didn't want to see a run away train with out pics LOL=ed

How much Thicker ? Flying Eagle Cent ? / Fatty Indian Cent "1859" Thick ? or way thicker ?
letters could still be raised if the person scooped out the metal around.

Could also be foreign coin. I'm standing by coin / love token even if I am wrong :laughing7:

Possibly real. But for some reason not sitting right with me.

It's the name Alice Jones , Bryan
thumbsup.gif

Not only is Jones a very common Anglo-Welsh surname, Alice is very common
also. & Yes when put together the name sounds fake.
almost sounds like the title of a sappy song, or title of a woman's romance paperback.
However the time consuming task of creating the piece tells my it is almost definitely real. if it weren't so crude I'd say fantasy piece.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I do genealogy. If you want to PM me with more details - the county, the house owner's name in the 1870s, I will see what I can find, or I can help you out with things to look for if you want to research Alice on your own.

In any case, you have a great find there!

Upvote 0
When you get a chance if you can PM me the county you found this in, I will search through records. Already came across a bunch of Alice Jones of that time period and a few in New York! Gonna be hard then "Fairly Easy" I think.

Upvote 0
Hey Jeff I just added a pic showing the thickness for you ,thanks for the help. Indian head against the token

Upvote 0
Where are the pics?

Scouts out!

Upvote 0
Hey Jeff I just added a pic showing the thickness for you ,thanks for the help. Indian head against the token

Your right the edge doesn't look like an indian.
But was probably altered

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks Jeff! Your right it's almost got a rounded over edge and a touch thicker. Couple people trying to find more info on it for me . Seems like all I have seen are tomb stones ,right name wrong date

Upvote 0
That is a fine work of art .. a labor of love. It was all hand done by carefully removing the material from around the lettering which, by the way, is in period style. I forget what the method or relief is called, but "shaving" is what comes into mind. To me, that piece is a banner find..it is simply gorgeous!
i agree and i think it might have been done to a fatty indian or maybe even a flying eagle

Upvote 0
Honey I FALZ=that's a Indian name ? In your front yard :icon_thu mright: Getting closer on and ID . ancestry.COM from a good tip -

Upvote 0
I think I can narrow it down to a county just bordering me. They settled or passed threw at some point, there are some really big names involved in the surrounding towns ! :walk: I think I can see a shadow in my foot prints-always look behind you .Charles Williams married Alice Jones and had two children ,Harvey and Eva . Alice could have been born in 1859 and passed 1891. To recover something like this is mind boggling .Thank you{hsd} to all those who helped !!

Upvote 0
PAST THOUGHTS STILL CHASE ME...ALICE JONES...HOW WAS THIS MADE . WE STILL WOULD LIKE TO KNOW HOW THIS WAS MADE,CARVED.......

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back