Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was able to get back to my new spot that produced a number of silver coins and two musket balls back on June 7th. I was hoping there might be a colonial era coin somewhere in these woods, and I was right. About an hour into my hunt I popped out a large copper. I believe its a Connecticut Copper, but have no idea about the specific variety. If anyone has some thoughts on that topic, please let me know. The coin is in pretty great shape, but slightly bent. This made it difficult to get a clear picture.

01.JPG
02.JPG
03.JPG

Next up I found a kid's wallet. It's in very rough shape, but you can still see what looks like an ID card on the inside. The wallet had a 1926 buffalo nickel, a 1944-P war nickel, and a few wheaties. I'm guessing it was lost about 80 years ago.

04.JPG05.JPG06.JPG07.JPG

The day ended with a small coin spill, featuring a 1896 IHP, and a pair of interesting bracelets. A great day of detecting all around.

08.JPG
09.JPG
012.JPG

Thanks for taking a look. If anyone has a guess about the age of these two bracelets, please let me know. HH.

Upvote 19
Good day of detecting.
The copper has lots of detail that's for sure.
Cool recovery on the wallet

Those are some great finds! That wallet is a cool find. That CT copper has some great detail. It looks a lot like the one in this picture. (The dots look different on obverse though). I found a rough one of this type earlier this year and was told it was an 15 F variety. Hopefully someone can definitively ID the variety for you. Congrats!IMG_7326.jpeg

Last edited:
Those are some great finds! That wallet is a cool find. That CT copper has some great detail. It looks a lot like the one in this picture. (The dots look different on obverse though). I found a rough one of this type earlier this year and was told it was an 15 F variety. Hopefully someone can definitively ID the variety for you. Congrats!View attachment 2154723
Thanks lenmac65. That looks like a pretty good match to me. I'm amazed at the detail, especially on the obverse. I greatly appreciate everyone's comments! Cheers!

Thanks lenmac65. That looks like a pretty good match to me. I'm amazed at the detail, especially on the obverse. I greatly appreciate everyone's comments! Cheers!
Unfortunately, that’s a photo of a non-dug example of the one I found. Mine was chipped and corroded😞. Your copper looks great!

I was able to get back to my new spot that produced a number of silver coins and two musket balls back on June 7th. I was hoping there might be a colonial era coin somewhere in these woods, and I was right. About an hour into my hunt I popped out a large copper. I believe its a Connecticut Copper, but have no idea about the specific variety. If anyone has some thoughts on that topic, please let me know. The coin is in pretty great shape, but slightly bent. This made it difficult to get a clear picture.

View attachment 2154631View attachment 2154632View attachment 2154633

Next up I found a kid's wallet. It's in very rough shape, but you can still see what looks like an ID card on the inside. The wallet had a 1926 buffalo nickel, a 1944-P war nickel, and a few wheaties. I'm guessing it was lost about 80 years ago.

View attachment 2154634View attachment 2154635View attachment 2154636View attachment 2154637

The day ended with a small coin spill, featuring a 1896 IHP, and a pair of interesting bracelets. A great day of detecting all around.

View attachment 2154638View attachment 2154639View attachment 2154640

Thanks for taking a look. If anyone has a guess about the age of these two bracelets, please let me know. HH.
That's a really nice Connecticut you got there. You must be playing in some really good ground. Nice save!

The Connecticut is a 1787 14-H this is a rarity 3 variety, which is an estimated 201 to 500 known. Nice shape on that one!

I’ve never understood how they arrive at those rarity numbers. It seems to me a coin with only 200-500 known would be extremely rare. ???
Actually with Connecticuts that’s quite common. Actually R5 varieties outnumber all others in the series. Admittedly the rarity rating is not a definite thing, so many of these coins are out there unattributed. Also, there may be fewer than 100 dedicated variety collectors out there, so anything with a population of over 100 would be considered quite common.

The Connecticut is a 1787 14-H this is a rarity 3 variety, which is an estimated 201 to 500 known. Nice shape on that one!
Wow! Thank you so much I.cutler!! I greatly appreciate your efforts in id'ing this coin!

Wow! Thank you so much I.cutler!! I greatly appreciate your efforts in id'ing this coin!
No problem. I collect them by variety so I have the references. Even though the dates only range from 1785 to 1788 there are over 350 varieties.

View attachment 2154631View attachment 2154632View attachment 2154633

View attachment 2154634View attachment 2154635View attachment 2154636View attachment 2154637

View attachment 2154638View attachment 2154639View attachment 2154640

Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back