2nd Time Out and Struck Gold!

Hockey_Detectorist

Aug 15, 2016
North Eastern NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 200 & 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well Folks, I have done it! On my second time detecting the beach I have struck gold. It has been a long road (insert sarcasm here) to get to this point. I figured on being about 20+ hours until I hit a big score like a gold wedding ring, but only too about 3.5 hours of detecting. I am beyond happy.

The gold wedding band was sitting right where a beach access was leading to fairly ritzy condominiums. Only sitting about 2 inches from the top, the ring was just waiting to be claimed! Apart from the ring, I also came up with $1.05 in change, a wood file for carpentry, and a pair of reading glasses.

I did have just one question to ask anyone interested in answering. Now that I have found some gold what is the best method for me to yield the most for it? I've heard that pawn shops really take a lot off the top from the melt value so I wasn't wanting to go that route. Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Anyway, here are the pictures of the finds from both the 12th and the 13th. Enjoy!

Happy Hunting

Hockey_Detectorist

20160912_224617.jpg
20160912_210042-2.jpg
20160913_141654.jpg

Upvote 22
First see if there is a date and initials inside. If there are initials or identifiable marks, chances are the owner would be very happy to get it back. I have returned wedding rings for rewards from a hug to $200 . I ask if there is a reward when someone flags me down to help them find something. They can offer a hug or money. I don't set the reward amount, I just like to know if there is one so I can decide how much of my time to give them. I work harder for money most times lol. Maybe others can chime in on how to help the owner find you.
If there are not identifiable marks figure out the value of the gold weight subtracting the copper (if that says 18 k multiply the total weight in grams by 0.75 x $42.36 on 9.13.16 ) and set that as the price for the ring. Then put it on Craigslist, weed thru the robo offers and sell it! Someone would be thrilled to pick up a ring at cost. Meet them someplace public with security (your bank, a mall etc). I am curious what others will tell us.

First see if there is a date and initials inside. If there are initials or identifiable marks, chances are the owner would be very happy to get it back. I have returned wedding rings for rewards from a hug to $200 . I ask if there is a reward when someone flags me down to help them find something. They can offer a hug or money. I don't set the reward amount, I just like to know if there is one so I can decide how much of my time to give them. I work harder for money most times lol. Maybe others can chime in on how to help the owner find you.
If there are not identifiable marks figure out the value of the gold weight subtracting the copper (if that says 18 k multiply the total weight in grams by 0.75 x $42.36 on 9.13.16 ) and set that as the price for the ring. Then put it on Craigslist, weed thru the robo offers and sell it! Someone would be thrilled to pick up a ring at cost. Meet them someplace public with security (your bank, a mall etc). I am curious what others will tell us.

Yeah that was the first thing had looked for was initials or a key date of the sort. Nothing. I am a little nervous posting it up on craigslist due to the fact that there are a lot of weirdos on it ha.

Nice finds.

Returning wedding rings is hopeless even with dates and initials. You have to know what county they were married in on top of that. Impossible to search every county in a state for the initials. i tried a couple and gave up. I have returned every ring I have been hired to find. Totally different. Class rings you can contact the school librarian and most are totally willing to help give you the name of the graduate.

Now for your ring. Go here:

Ultrafast Live Scrap Gold Calculator [USD] from Dendritics

Plug in the weight in grams and the karat. Then hit calculate. That is the value of it in scrap. Subtract 2% and that is what ARA in Texas will give you. I have been using them for years and they are the best by far. Better than jewelers, Midwest in Michigan and pawn shops.

Welcome to - American Recycling Associates - Gold Refining, Karat Melting, Stone Recovery in Dallas, Tx

If you need help PM me. You can send one ring or as many as you have to them. Turnaround time is around 10 days.

So if your ring is worth 150.00, subtract 2% or 3.00, as long as the marking is true you should get 147.00 for it after shipping costs. I never insure my shipments. I do go priority mail with signature though. never had a problem in 9 years.

Last edited:
Congratulations on your first Gold Ticket! To get the most for it, you'll have to list it on Ebay and sell it as a ring, rather than weight. I started a relationship with a local jeweler here over 20-years ago now, and I take all my gold to him. I get 79% of spot in cash.:skullflag:

If you visit the beach often, you just may want to keep an eye out for "lost ring" posters close the beach. I have a couple of men's wedding bands that I've tried to owner ID for a long time, but it just hasn't happened. I wouldn't post anything on Craig's list or other sites. After a month or so, I'd scrap it. Congrats on finding your first gold ring so quickly!

Congratulations on your first Gold Ticket! To get the most for it, you'll have to list it on Ebay and sell it as a ring, rather than weight. I started a relationship with a local jeweler here over 20-years ago now, and I take all my gold to him. I get 79% of spot in cash.:skullflag:

Terry, Why take so little? If I found 5 grand in gold this year scrap, your jeweler would give me 3950.00 for it. I spend 6.00 to send it priority to ARA and i get 4900.00 for it. That is a 950.00 difference. I know it is just found money, but I like to get the most I can out of it. I can ask for an advance and get 90% of the value shipped out the day they receive it and the other 8% after they refine it also.

I also have found unless it is a very unique ring, E-Bay is worthless, MY EXPERIENCE.

Everybody does what they want with their gold. I lived off mine for a few years so I needed top dollar.

Returning wedding rings is hopeless even with dates and initials. You have to know what county they were married in on top of that. Impossible to search every county in a state for the initials. i tried a couple and gave up. I have returned every ring I have been hired to find. Totally different. Class rings you can contact the school librarian and most are totally willing to help give you the name of the graduate.

Now for your ring. Go here:

Ultrafast Live Scrap Gold Calculator [USD] from Dendritics

Plug in the weight in grams and the karat. Then hit calculate. That is the value of it in scrap. Subtract 2% and that is what ARA in Texas will give you. I have been using them for years and they are the best by far. Better than jewelers, Midwest in Michigan and pawn shops.

Welcome to - American Recycling Associates - Gold Refining, Karat Melting, Stone Recovery in Dallas, Tx

If you need help PM me. You can send one ring or as many as you have to them. Turnaround time is around 10 days.

So if your ring is worth 150.00, subtract 2% or 3.00, as long as the marking is true you should get 147.00 for it after shipping costs. I never insure my shipments. I do go priority mail with signature though. never had a problem in 9 years.

Really appreciate the information Scuba Detector. I will PM you once I am through with my wedding and honeymoon so I don't have to feel the wrath of my future wife ha. By chance, how much do you usually send at a time?

If you visit the beach often, you just may want to keep an eye out for "lost ring" posters close the beach. I have a couple of men's wedding bands that I've tried to owner ID for a long time, but it just hasn't happened. I wouldn't post anything on Craig's list or other sites. After a month or so, I'd scrap it. Congrats on finding your first gold ring so quickly!

Thank you Tommy G. Which section of Virginia are you in? Nova?

Was it found with the Ace 250? Best all round detector by far!

Really appreciate the information Scuba Detector. I will PM you once I am through with my wedding and honeymoon so I don't have to feel the wrath of my future wife ha. By chance, how much do you usually send at a time?

When I was living off of it, I was sending it as soon as I found it. Some days one ring at a time. Other days I would find 6 rings a day. They don't care. Sometimes I saved enough to get a few grand.

When I was living off of it, I was sending it as soon as I found it. Some days one ring at a time. Other days I would find 6 rings a day. They don't care. Sometimes I saved enough to get a few grand.

That sounds like it was a struggle. Sounds like a simple life with a tiny house and a metal detector! (at least that is my retirement goal)

congrats for the sweet gold.usually on e bay you will make a little more than the gold buying places.and after you pay ebay there 10% and pay pal thete fee it usually comes out to the same unless someone really likes it.

congrats for the sweet gold.usually on e bay you will make a little more than the gold buying places.and after you pay ebay there 10% and pay pal the fee it usually comes out to the same unless someone really likes it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back