Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
1840's Farmhouse Gives Up New Silvers

Hi all. Hope everyone's Monday was good to them. I got in about a 2 hour hunt this afternoon after working 10 hours. I have had my eye on this house for a long time, but it has been frustrating trying to catch the owner at the house. Yesterday morning I saw his truck there on my way to work but he wasn't there after work. This morning, the truck was there again, but I wasn't about to tick him off at 6:30 am on either morning, lol. Tonight, luck! He was there after work, so I whipped in and knocked. A giant answered the door, lol. Huge man. As it turned out, he was super nice and told me to have at it, but there had been MANY people over the years trying their luck. None had really found too much, according to him. I didn't care. This was my chance to try it, lol. As you can see from the pic, I didn't get a lot either but did score 2 more silvers and 2 more wheats. At least I don't have to drool every time I pass this beautiful old house now, wondering what is hidden there.
ju3uze5u.jpg

Upvote 10
1840's Farmhouse Gives Up New Silvers

This yard had the dark loam that doesn't let you dig a plug that will hold together. It was very loose, so I was really trying to dig as small as I could. Usually in this situation, I "bell" the hole. I dig a small opening and make it larger UNDER the surface. Many use this technique to pour concrete around a post. I hope this made sense, lol.

Last edited:
This yard had the dark loam that doesn't let you dig a plug that will hold together. It was very loose, so I was really trying to dig as small as I could. Usually in this situation, I "bell" the hole. I dig a small opening and make it larger UNDER the surface. Many use this technique to pour concrete around a post. I hope this made sense, lol.

Oh yeah, I know. When it gets this dry it's next to impossible to get a proper plug. In those cases, I pinpoint just as tight as I can and then do pretty much what you said. Open the grass, then use the pro-pointer to get a direction. The coin on the side of the pointer helps to find the target a lil deeper than usual. Gives a fair indication. Not a perfect situation. But, the alternatives are no fun either. ;)

Good for you Dave for keeping on trying to get to talk to the home owner and it paid off for you too! :occasion14:

Sorry I missed this post earlier,
Dave

Well done Dave. Congrats on the silver. I love finding skeleton keys. Maybe Dman could put a picture of that one in his new book. Unfortunately I think we will all be skeletons by the time he finishes that book. :tongue3: He's been using Quindy's quill pen to write the book with. :laughing7:

The best part of this hunt is that you proved it doesn't take Cjon's good looks to score permission. You must have a purdy mouth too Boy. :laughing7:
Nice job!
-DUHg-

Thanks, Doug. I could have used his boyish charms the last 4 places I stopped at lol. They all said no!

Don't make fun of Jovan Musk....

Hey Old Dude... I didn't see these the other week. Nice Haul. GL&HH!

Good job on the old key, and 2 bouns silvers

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back