1682 Schilling- My oldest dug coin! UPDATED CLEANED PHOTO

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I dug this coin this past Sunday at a former homesite. It is in rough shape, but I am excited anyway, as it is my oldest dug coin: 1682, and silver to boot! It is a schilling of Duchy of Schleswig-Holstein-Gottorp (German States). I originally had no idea what it was, so I posted it on the What is It forum. A big shout out to Bramblefind, who nailed the difficult ID and provided me with links and photos. So interesting to find an example of the different foreign coinage the colonists used in early America. Also found eight buttons, including this tiny anchor button. Could this be a Navy cuff/sleeve button? Also found this unknown item with the word TENT on it, which I am guessing once said PATENT. Thanks for checking out my post and good luck out there.
IMG_7749.jpeg
IMG_7750.jpeg

IMG_7713.jpeg
IMG_7707.jpegIMG_7708.jpegIMG_7714.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 55
I like that anchor button. Looked through my books, and cannot find it….but they only go to 1776. If the button is from similar time period of your coin, and if it is in fact military, guessing it won’t be found in an “American” button book

I dug this coin this past Sunday at a former homesite. It is in rough shape, but I am excited anyway, as it is my oldest dug coin: 1682, and silver to boot! It is a schilling of Duchy of Schleswig-Holstein-Gottorp (German States). I originally had no idea what it was, so I posted it on the What is It forum. A big shout out to Bramblefind, who nailed the difficult ID and provided me with links and photos. So interesting to find an example of the different foreign coinage the colonists used in early America. Also found eight buttons, including this tiny anchor button. Could this be a Navy cuff/sleeve button? Also found this unknown item with the word TENT on it, which I am guessing once said PATENT. Thanks for checking out my post and good luck out there.View attachment 2168075View attachment 2168076View attachment 2168077View attachment 2168078View attachment 2168079View attachment 2168080
great saves all around, big time gratz on the schilling

I like that anchor button. Looked through my books, and cannot find it….but they only go to 1776. If the button is from similar time period of your coin, and if it is in fact military, guessing it won’t be found in an “American” button book
Thank you for the comment and for the time you spent checking in your book for me. I am going to try to clean the button better and see if there is a back mark, as perhaps that would give a hint of the age. I have found things here ranging from the date of this coin up until the 1940s, so I am dealing with a wide date range. Thanks again.

Nice work there Lenmac! That beats my oldest by a few. I think you may have a Jacksonian anchor button. That wide rim is typical….
Thank you for the comment and for the opinion regarding the button. I looked up Jacksonian buttons, and the style is indeed similar. The 1820s is the right timeframe for many of my finds here too. Thanks again..

Thank you for the comment and for the opinion regarding the button. I looked up Jacksonian buttons, and the style is indeed similar. The 1820s is the right timeframe for many of my finds here too. Thanks again..
It’s hard to tell from the pics, but looks like maybe a 2-piece, which would make the date later. Once again, not remotely sure it’s military, most anchor buttons aren’t. Back mark/pic will help.

It’s hard to tell from the pics, but looks like maybe a 2-piece, which would make the date later. Once again, not remotely sure it’s military, most anchor buttons aren’t. Back mark/pic will help.
Thanks for the insights. Here is a picture of the back…
IMG_7723.jpeg

Congratulations on your oldest copper, and getting the other recoveries.

I dug this coin this past Sunday at a former homesite. It is in rough shape, but I am excited anyway, as it is my oldest dug coin: 1682, and silver to boot! It is a schilling of Duchy of Schleswig-Holstein-Gottorp (German States). I originally had no idea what it was, so I posted it on the What is It forum. A big shout out to Bramblefind, who nailed the difficult ID and provided me with links and photos. So interesting to find an example of the different foreign coinage the colonists used in early America. Also found eight buttons, including this tiny anchor button. Could this be a Navy cuff/sleeve button? Also found this unknown item with the word TENT on it, which I am guessing once said PATENT. Thanks for checking out my post and good luck out there.View attachment 2168075View attachment 2168076View attachment 2168077View attachment 2168078View attachment 2168079View attachment 2168080
Awesome. Congratulations

Congratulations on your oldest copper, and getting the other recoveries.
Thanks! Believe it or not, this coin is supposedly silver. My cleaning skills are horrible, but perhaps I should try electrolysis. T-net member Glen’s Loyalists posted a cleaning suggestion on my What is It thread, but that was before it was determined to be silver. Not sure if the suggestion still applies. If you have any ideas, I am open to them.

could the unknown piece be a key hole cover? View attachment 2168279
Amazing how you and others on this site can look at an obscure object and can recall where you saw it before in order to produce an image … wow!. That keyhole cover does look very similar and could be an ID. Thanks!

Banner find......
Thanks for the vote! I think if my coin looked like the one in the non-dug photo it would stand a chance. Unfortunately, this is in rough shape, though a cool find in my opinion..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back