Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out one more time before the heat returns another broke… funny with such a slender spot in the notches it broke the way it did… huffaker in my neck of the woods
IMG_2598.jpeg
IMG_2597.jpeg

Upvote 14
so feel like I’m close to a good one but keep coming up short

First one was a point buy maybe on its way to being a drill? Base and tip are missing
IMG_3105.jpeg
IMG_3102.jpeg
IMG_2979.jpeg

Next one i thought was interesting because it crosses over into the uniface post. It’s a flake that has been retouched along the edges, I think it’s the base of a triangular point judging by the geometry of the triangle points I find in the same place
IMG_3088.jpeg
IMG_3081.jpeg
IMG_3078.jpeg
IMG_2978.jpeg

Next may just be a flake but it does seem to have a little extra work along the one edge but it doesn’t seem super functional
IMG_3032.jpeg
IMG_3029.jpeg
IMG_3031.jpeg
IMG_2975.jpeg

Last is a larger broken biface that kind of shows an older flaking style, but again a little something going on in the break, maybe someone was considering making a drill or awl?
IMG_3024.jpeg
IMG_3028.jpeg
IMG_3013.jpeg
IMG_3012.jpeg
IMG_2974.jpeg

I have wondered how likely it would be for a point to be lost in an animal. this area has shell and broken pottery and flakes and such along with whole and broken points. I’ve kinda thought it was odd for a complete point to end up in the trash, but if you make a kill and maybe the shaft breaks free I can see how a point could get lost in an animal and discarded during processing…. Then again they were pretty efficient in their use of animals… but if you’re right about it hitting bone to break that way, it would be a plausible explanation.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back