1682 Schilling- My oldest dug coin! UPDATED CLEANED PHOTO

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I dug this coin this past Sunday at a former homesite. It is in rough shape, but I am excited anyway, as it is my oldest dug coin: 1682, and silver to boot! It is a schilling of Duchy of Schleswig-Holstein-Gottorp (German States). I originally had no idea what it was, so I posted it on the What is It forum. A big shout out to Bramblefind, who nailed the difficult ID and provided me with links and photos. So interesting to find an example of the different foreign coinage the colonists used in early America. Also found eight buttons, including this tiny anchor button. Could this be a Navy cuff/sleeve button? Also found this unknown item with the word TENT on it, which I am guessing once said PATENT. Thanks for checking out my post and good luck out there.
IMG_7749.jpeg
IMG_7750.jpeg

IMG_7713.jpeg
IMG_7707.jpegIMG_7708.jpegIMG_7714.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 57
Cant help but notice the back and forth scratch marks...
Let me ask... was it like this ?
Or your cleaning did it ?
If I had to guess, I did it when I was “scraping” at it with Andre’s pencils before I knew it was silver. They could be pre-existing scratches beneath the corrosion I removed, I suppose, but they do look new. They show in the photo, though I can’t see them with the naked eye. But then again, my eyes aren’t that strong anymore.

Reactions: ARC
If I had to guess, I did it when I was “scraping” at it with Andre’s pencils before I knew it was silver. They could be pre-existing scratches beneath the corrosion I removed, I suppose, but they do look new. They show in the photo, though I can’t see them with the naked eye. But then again, my eyes aren’t that strong anymore.
Next time you get an oldie you might consider setting up a small electro bath to bring it back.

IF you get something like a pine tree or chain or other rarer types you would not want those type of scratches or etc on it.

FOR... even though any coin in this condition would grade enviro it still would be worth something in the levels that justified the baths.
Some super rare ones will still sell for big bucks no matter the condition... BUT scratched like that will totally bunk it out.

Next time you get an oldie you might consider setting up a small electro bath to bring it back.

IF you get something like a pine tree or chain or other rarer types you would not want those type of scratches or etc on it.

FOR... even though any coin in this condition would grade enviro it still would be worth something in the levels that justified the baths.
Some super rare ones will still sell for big bucks no matter the condition... BUT scratched like that will totally bunk it out.
Not saying your find is not still desirable to someone besides yourself... but IMO the saving / restoring the history is yet still important.... at least to me it would be.
Any cleaning techniques that could ever deface one should be avoided at all costs simply for the custodial part of your finds for posterity... again IMO.

Not raging ya... :).... But because i am a believer in treating finds as gifts from the spirits of yester-years i try and be as respectful to them as possible.

Just MY "Modis Operandi".

Thanks. As I suggested, I am not 100% sure I put those scratches on it, but I was being a little more aggressive than usual with the mechanical cleaning, as the corrosion was exceptionally stubborn and I was convinced it was copper. I do have a little electrolysis set up, but I didn’t think I could use it on copper. Once I knew it was silver, I did a “gentle “ electrolysis with the foil trick. I think it came out pretty nice, though some might want it cleaner or not cleaned at all. I have no plans to sell it and can’t really see the scratches unassisted. Hopefully my descendants won’t see them easily either.😁

Not saying your find is not still desirable to someone besides yourself... but IMO the saving / restoring the history is yet still important.... at least to me it would be.
Any cleaning techniques that could ever deface one should be avoided at all costs simply for the custodial part of your finds for posterity... again IMO.

Not raging ya... :).... But because i am a believer in treating finds as gifts from the spirits of yester-years i try and be as respectful to them as possible.

Just MY "Modis Operandi".
Points well taken. I just do the best I can with whatever talents God has given me. I am happy with it now, and do try to be careful with all my finds. Thanks for the comments, insights, and perspectives.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back