Sword ID needed, can you help? Civil war?

finderzzs

Bronze Member
May 2, 2007
Sunny South Florida
Detector(s) used
White's PI Pro Dual Field, Garrett Ace 350,

Attachments

• CW US SWORD1.JPG
    CW US SWORD1.JPG
    28.3 KB · Views: 36
  • CW US SWORD2.JPG
    CW US SWORD2.JPG
    76.6 KB · Views: 37
  • CW US SWORD3.JPG
    CW US SWORD3.JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 35
  • CW US SWORD4.JPG
    CW US SWORD4.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 36
  • CW US SWORD5.JPG
    CW US SWORD5.JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 37
Upvote 7
I does not resemble any Masonic swords that I’ve seen. If a lodge sword, possibly from Oddfellows, Knights of Columbus, etc.
I would think someone will be able to
Do a positive ID if it is a CW sword.👍🏼

I bought this at an auction, they thought it was a "lodge" sword. But anyways, I Need help to ID this sword. Appears to be a civil war model 1850, but there are differences. The US is much smaller among other aspects. Overall length is 37", the blade is 31½", no markings anywhere. Not an expert so your help will be greatly appreciated.
Online or in person auction?
Was the sword presented with other lots that reflected the era.
Or it was a one of in the auction?

Online or in person auction?
Was the sword presented with other lots that reflected the era.
Or it was a one of in the auction?
Online local auction. Yes I bought a Civil war NCO sword and an Model 1902 sword. Ys there were 2 masonic swords, I know this is a rural backwoods auction house and they don't have a clue, so they just called them all Lodge swords.

I does not resemble any Masonic swords that I’ve seen. If a lodge sword, possibly from Oddfellows, Knights of Columbus, etc.
I would think someone will be able to
Do a positive ID if it is a CW sword.👍🏼
Yes I knew this and the other two I bought were not Fraternal, they had 5 swords and called them all "lodge" swords. Good for me.

Unless of course you can find some marking ... look up where the blade is going into the handle / grip.

Will revisit this later... and take a close up look at the expanded pictures view etc.
PS...
There are many people here that know these... so be patient and someone will be along.

It could be VERY small dot like marks barely visible on one side WAY up near handle... handle may even be partially covering them.
TINY marks.
If not then prolly could be a chance of Horstmann
Nope, no tiny dots near the handle. There is this round indented spot on the blade, 7Âľ" from the tip, no idea wht that's there. Notice the nicer handle butt, it has oak leaves & acorns. Fancier than many.

Attachments

• cw swrd.JPG
    cw swrd.JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 8
Yes we need pics of both sides of the blade where it meets the guard.

It probably is a non-regulation imported m1850 saber.

Yes we need pics of both sides of the blade where it meets the guard.

It probably is a non-regulation imported m1850 saber.
Here are those photos including the top edge of the blade. As you can see there is no markings as stated twice before. Thanks again.

Attachments

• cw us1.JPG
    cw us1.JPG
    107.5 KB · Views: 11
  • cw us2.JPG
    cw us2.JPG
    154.5 KB · Views: 11
  • cw us3.JPG
    cw us3.JPG
    126.2 KB · Views: 11
Here are those photos including the top edge of the blade. As you can see there is no markings as stated twice before. Thanks again.
Thanks for posting. I'm going with a non-regulation imported sword.

From a buddy of mine who is good in this field….

“i couldn’t see any markings, can’t zoom in on blade enough. It’s a foot officer’s as opposed to a staff & field, probably an import.”

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back