1925 Holy Name Society Medal/First Silver coins

Ground Control

Apr 19, 2017
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was looking around my yard today with my AT Pro and finally got some silver with it, along with some sort of religious medal. The medal has the letters HNS along with the text: "6th Triennial parade of the Union of the Holy Name Societies diocese of Providence Sept 1925"

Finds 1.jpg

Finds 2.jpg

I did a little research and I believe the medal is missing the upper clasp and a cloth sash, which most likely weren't dropped with the medal. I also found that 2 similar earlier medals from 1913 are in the possession of the Rhode Island State Archives, with unrestricted access for research. I'm going to get in touch with the curator of the collection to take a look when I can get a chance and see if they have any information on the medal I have.

Think I'm finally getting the hang of this machine!

Upvote 12

The Aluminum Monster

Mar 18, 2015
New Bedford, MA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro, Tesoro Mojave, Garrett AT Pro, 5x8 DD, 15" NEL Attack, Garrett Pro-pointer, Pro Series 5x9 sand scoop, 30" Royal Compact sluice, 36" Bazooka Gold Trap, Gold Cube.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds and welcome to the wealth of knowledge that is TreasureNet! I'll be the first of many to tell you that you should just set the AT-Pro to Pro-Zero mode and learn from there. It's a fairly quick machine to learn with great separation. I recommend picking up the 5x8 coil for it as well. It's great for any trashy areas you may hunt.

I also see you're from Mass. Maybe I will see you around some time. Take care and happy hunting!

-Jay

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
If you are really into the research of this medal pin, I suggest you research the archival records of the NCWC (National Catholic News Service) who would have covered the event.Today, the repository of archived Catholic news events is The American Catholic Research and University Archives at The Catholic University of America, Washington DC. You can reach them by phone or Email via this site: Finding Aid to the National Catholic News Service Records -- University Archives -- CUA
Good luck,
Don.....

Geochem

Dec 11, 2016
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You have treasure in your yard. Nice finds with your AT! She is an excellent detector.

Geochem

Dec 11, 2016
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Treasure Net has experts that are willing to help. A great forum!

OP
OP
Ground Control

Ground Control

Apr 19, 2017
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds and welcome to the wealth of knowledge that is TreasureNet! I'll be the first of many to tell you that you should just set the AT-Pro to Pro-Zero mode and learn from there. It's a fairly quick machine to learn with great separation. I recommend picking up the 5x8 coil for it as well. It's great for any trashy areas you may hunt.

I also see you're from Mass. Maybe I will see you around some time. Take care and happy hunting!

-Jay

Thanks for the advice Jay. I actually picked up the 5x8 coil along with the detector, so it was the first coil I tried out. I was fortunate enough to know someone with the same detector who gave me a pretty good rundown of it and had the same advice about the Pro-Zero mode. Seems to be working thus far! Although I'm interested in trying other coils for different applications, like some of the NEL coils.

And I'm always looking to meet like minded individuals that I can hunt with, so it's definitely within the realm of possibility!

If you are really into the research of this medal pin, I suggest you research the archival records of the NCWC (National Catholic News Service) who would have covered the event.Today, the repository of archived Catholic news events is The American Catholic Research and University Archives at The Catholic University of America, Washington DC. You can reach them by phone or Email via this site: Finding Aid to the National Catholic News Service Records -- University Archives -- CUA
Good luck,
Don.....

Thanks for the information Don. I think it will be pretty helpful, as I'm definitely into the research aspect of the hobby. I try to be as thorough as possible, so there will be more info coming on this as I get in contact with people. It was neat to see an intact version of the medal. Was tempted to buy it so I'd be able to compare the two side by side.

Treasure Net has experts that are willing to help. A great forum!

I appreciate any help I can get. I'm nowhere near an expert, but I'd like to get to that level someday.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
great finds and as you have seen, help abounds here on the net. congrats

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread