Yet another great day out hunting!! Silver, Gold and even an Artifact!!!!

cerF

May 15, 2008
NorCal
Detector(s) used
XT 705
Well after trying to find an old mining camp, and burning about $15 of fuel in the process, I gave up and headed to the nearest town.
I started at the school and came up with this great Navy challenge coin. Its gold plated and very heavy. After plucking about 12 quarters and some other clad, I came up with the 1953 S dime. MY FIRST SILVER COIN!!!!! I was so happy. Ive been finding gold rings lately, but i really wanted to find an older coin, call me crazy. After a brief happy dance, I kissed it and put it in my finds bag and continued to hunt. A few more quarters later, i found the cars. They were next to a tree about 4 inches down and a foot away from each other. I also found a couple cool buttons (one looks very old) and a couple necklace pendants. The larger one is 18kgp white gold with a freshwater pearl. I did the happy dance yet again for this one.

I'm saving my favorite find for last. I finished up hunting the school (actually i was just hungry and went to go get a bite to eat). I really only covered about 10% of the field there. After lunch I decided to head down to the river adjacent to the town. I decided to take the path less traveled down to the river and swing the detector on the way and dig all signals. I found the old nozzle thing at about 6 inches down. It kinda looks like a seltzer bottle top. About 10 feet away I get a really strong, and small signal, which ended up being my FIRST METAL ARROWHEAD. I have found regular arrowheads before, but never a metal one. This area had a ton of native american activity in the mid to late 1800s and artifacts are pretty commonplace around here. I'm guessing the metal was obtained by trading with or robbing the palefaces. :)

Thanks for looking and happy hunting.

Attachments

• P1000141.JPG
    P1000141.JPG
    137.3 KB · Views: 1,006
  • P1000142.JPG
    P1000142.JPG
    106.5 KB · Views: 1,008
  • P1000143.JPG
    P1000143.JPG
    112.8 KB · Views: 997
  • P1000144.JPG
    P1000144.JPG
    101.9 KB · Views: 994
  • P1000145.JPG
    P1000145.JPG
    90.5 KB · Views: 982
  • P1000146.JPG
    P1000146.JPG
    94.5 KB · Views: 983
  • P1000147.JPG
    P1000147.JPG
    107.3 KB · Views: 982
  • P1000149.JPG
    P1000149.JPG
    107 KB · Views: 974
  • P1000148.JPG
    P1000148.JPG
    119.1 KB · Views: 971
Upvote 0
Congrats on your first silver and 18k is always worth a dance or two!! Looks like a great place to stop after burning a little fuel!! Sweet finds!!

Cerf you are hotter than a pistol man!!!!!!!!!! Great looking finds and the arrowhead is awesome! Is it copper? Up here in Michigan we stumble across copper arrowheads and spearpoints now and then as the native americans here mined copper for thousands of years and were known to trade it with other tribes, Thats how they got flint to make arrowheads here as there is no flint native here in Michigan so trade was the only way they could get it.. Keep up the great work and can't wait to see the next finds!

HH
Slipperyjack47

Now that is a mixture of treasure...Great finds. ;D jgas

Slipperyjack47 said:
Cerf you are hotter than a pistol man!!!!!!!!!! Great looking finds and the arrowhead is awesome! Is it copper? Up here in Michigan we stumble across copper arrowheads and spearpoints now and then as the native americans here mined copper for thousands of years and were known to trade it with other tribes, Thats how they got flint to make arrowheads here as there is no flint native here in Michigan so trade was the only way they could get it. Keep up the great work and can't wait to see the next finds!

HH
Slipperyjack47

It probably is copper. It rings up as a penny on the 250. I think it was made out of a preexisting item though, as it is flat on one side. We were thinking maybe an old spoon or something. Then again, it could have been moulded flat and only shaped on one side after it cooled, who knows. I think I like it more than my gold rings though!

Thanks again for the praise Jack. :icon_pirat:

Great items! I think the piece of equipment is manual transmission linkage (the rods from the bottom of the shifter box to the levers on the side of the tranny)--or else some other sort of linkage.

Whoever lost that nice-looking challenge coin must've had to buy some drinks..

Great Assortment of Finds! WTG :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

The "arrowhead" is intriguing...it looks to be cast and doesn't have a copper look (green corrosion/patina). Can you really see a copper color? The photo is a bit ambiguous an chance for more? Sure an interesting find and the kind of find I personally really enjoy!

HH Joe

Super finds! I like the pendant on the left, the thing that looks like a pearl in the middle. I'm still waiting for a silver coin. Found a Swedish silver coin but no American ones.

I think the "Artifact" is the coolest thing. See, I never knew they worked with metal. Gratz on the coin, it was a great day.

Nice post,

Keep @ it and HH!!

Very nice job on your very first silver coin and the white gold! Also great job on your artifact! :thumbsup:

A Nice assortment of a little bit of everything. Congrats on a very cool outing! :thumbsup:

I hope the arrowhead turns out to be a period correct, authentic artifact ;D

HH, Mark :icon_pirat:

The arrowhead looks to be the real deal to me . Could be an atlatle head . And no I do not have specific knowledge that they had copper heads in that period but , I think it is in the realm of possibility .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back