WOW, What a finish to a great year of Pit Diggin!!!

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
All I can say is WOW what a finish!
Don(Donerizer) and I got out and did a couple of properties that I had my eye on for quite awhile. After securing permission to dig we thought that maybe we should have tried these next season when the weather would be more favorable. But you know how long that thought lasted :tongue3: About 20 seconds I think. So we decided to give the places a last "ditch" effort and we started to probe. I must say Don does not like to probe too much but I don't mind. I think it's fun to actually locate a privy let alone dig it. ;D

So we found a couple of pits to start off with. Mind you this area we were at was a corner lot area with 3 houses. One of which was a store and home back around 1870 or so the story goes. So we had to prove that by the finds. We started off with some typical blank medicines and some broken pottery and plates. Not much to show until I was able to pull out a very nice amber blob beer from the 1880's early 1890's. Then we pulled out a decent Mason with the german cross. Not too bad of a start but we knew there was more :thumbsup:
So we continued to probe after that pit in hopes of older and more significant finds. I was focusing on any kind of variation with the ground strata, any slight change that would signify soil that was disturbed over the years. I told Don that maybe we should just do some test holes, maybe 3 feet down so that our 6 foot probe might reach a deeper use layer. Well our first try was a bust but then the second one we hit "Paydirt." :headbang:

We tried the 3 foot starter hole and then probed it again. At around 8 feet we brought up wood ash on the probe tip. That tells us this pit is older, at least older than the usual coal ash. :thumbsup: So let the games begin!! We dug down and hit the gray wood ash and immediately found some old leather shoe soles. Good sign :) Then some broken glass and a couple of nice medicines. Dr. Prices and a Hoods sarsaparilla. Don got a bit aggravated by not pulling up anything really great so he let me jump in to try and change the luck!!! So I started and pulled out an absolutely fantastic Staffords Master Ink :o It was a beautiful green color. So I was out of the pit and I let Don go back in.....Frustration mounted and he again got the feeling of getting skunked :( Not much to show so he let me back in. And would'nt ya know the first thing I pulled out was another Staffords Master Ink. Unfreakin believable!!! We had never dug one of these and now we had two. :thumbsup: Don told me to stay put and dig another one, so I continued on and low and behold I pulled out a clear Sanfords ground lip Master Ink. This was just crazy now. I then topped it off with a small Staffords barrel ink and a cone ink. ;D

Then it was Don's shot at Glory!!! We were down around the 9 foot level and found the base so it was time to circle around the bottom and search for the possible fabled "Late Throw". Don was digging at one of the corners and yelled up to me that he see's a flask, not sure what kind but its way back in the corner. So after a couple minutes of very careful digging and obvious shaky hands, he jumps up with the prize. :thumbsup: A Violin or Scroll Flask in perfect condition :thumbsup: Can you say WOW, we did and it even got better when he looked at the base and saw a great Pontil Scar!!! Wow, a Scroll Flask that easily outdated anything in the pit by 20 to 30 years. A Fabled Late Throw come true. What a day and What a possible end to a great year.( we may get out again :tongue3:) All in all we found a pile of glass, a nice jug from New York, multiple keepers and the thirst to get back out next season and do it again. I told Don that "that makes ya wanna dig again huh?" He said maybe we shall dig in the snow! :icon_sunny: Hope ya all enjoy the pics and the season to come. Goodluck out there and be safe everyone. Now Go Eat Some Turkey!!!! :tongue3: jgas

Attachments

• s1.JPG
    s1.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 1,621
  • s9.JPG
    s9.JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 1,621
  • s8.JPG
    s8.JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 1,639
  • s7.JPG
    s7.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 1,618
  • s6.JPG
    s6.JPG
    54.8 KB · Views: 1,618
  • s5.JPG
    s5.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 1,623
  • s4.JPG
    s4.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 1,613
  • s3.JPG
    s3.JPG
    76.3 KB · Views: 1,609
  • s2.JPG
    s2.JPG
    83.8 KB · Views: 1,621
  • s13.JPG
    s13.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 1,612
  • s12.JPG
    s12.JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 1,610
  • s11.JPG
    s11.JPG
    73.6 KB · Views: 1,624
Upvote 0
More Pics.....

Attachments

• s21.JPG
    s21.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 1,620
  • s20.JPG
    s20.JPG
    51.8 KB · Views: 1,612
  • s19.JPG
    s19.JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 1,612
  • s18.JPG
    s18.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 1,619
  • s17.JPG
    s17.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 1,606
  • s16.JPG
    s16.JPG
    63.5 KB · Views: 1,599
  • s15.JPG
    s15.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 1,590
  • s14.JPG
    s14.JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 1,603
  • s25.JPG
    s25.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 1,616
  • s24.JPG
    s24.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 1,606
  • s23.JPG
    s23.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 1,618
  • s22.JPG
    s22.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 1,624
And Finally some more pics.....Enjoy!!! We Did :thumbsup:

Attachments

• s29.JPG
    s29.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 1,592
  • s30.JPG
    s30.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 1,587
  • s31.JPG
    s31.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 1,588
  • s32.JPG
    s32.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 1,582
  • s33.JPG
    s33.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 1,575
  • s28.JPG
    s28.JPG
    82.3 KB · Views: 1,589
  • s27.JPG
    s27.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 1,603
  • s26.JPG
    s26.JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 1,605
  • s36.JPG
    s36.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 1,585
  • s35.JPG
    s35.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 1,587
  • s34.JPG
    s34.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 1,583
Great bottles, great story and great pictures. Congratulations. Thanks for sharing your story with everyone.
:headbang:

Tom

Awesome story. I'd love to watch that dig in person!

Ok now !!! My ground is frozen,and you show me,emerald green master inks,a beautiful jug,DONT EVEN GET ME STARTED ON THE SCROLL FLASK !!!!! :tongue3: Good job !!!!! :notworthy: :headbang: Keep on diggin

Love to see pics of your digs. Great stuff.
Do you keep it all or sell it off.
I was a [ shallow ] bottle digger as a kid and still have them.

Fantastic post!!! Incredible finds! Congratulations :headbang:

Does the New York stoneware jug have any more than that to the mark on it?

Wow! Nice bottles! I always wanted to try privy digging but just never have. Got to be better than my feeble relic hunting lately.
Mike ;D

nice, love the staffords,the scrool and the jug......nice stuff...well done...

You two amaze me. Nothing keeps you two Hoosiers indoors, not even cold. :laughing9:
Great dig guys. Those bottles are beautiful. :thumbsup:
Have you ever dug one from Sage's in LaPorte? :icon_scratch:
Congrats,
Dug (The other Hoosier) :thumbsup:

Here are couple of lamps similar in date to yours for comparison. :thumbsup:
The lamp you found was likely made by the New England Glass Co., not by Boston & Sandwich.

LIGHT GREEN SANDWICH FINGER LAMP & LIGHT AMETHYST SANDWICH FINGER LAMP
Both lamps are Mid 19th Century in date. Size 3-1/2" h.

Fantastic colors and rare. These finger lamps have looped paneled sides with applied handles. These are getting to be much difficult to obtain in today's market place. Value $300 - $600

Attachments

• Whale Oil Lamp 001.JPG
    Whale Oil Lamp 001.JPG
    8.4 KB · Views: 1,169
  • Whale Oil Lamp 002.jpg
    Whale Oil Lamp 002.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 1,172
  • Whale Oil Lamp 003.jpg
    Whale Oil Lamp 003.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 1,175
Another great Diggin post ! !! :hello2:

Great digs. Love the Stafford's Inks and especially the Scroll Flask which gets my Banner vote!

Steve in PA said:
Great digs. Love the Stafford's Inks and especially the Scroll Flask which gets my Banner vote!

You know what Steve, you're right! :thumbsup:
That Scroll Flask definitely deserves a BANNER vote! :hello2:

Dave

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back