wi prospecting report

BadgerGold

Mar 21, 2013
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey guys,

Have yet to get a flash in the pan here in SE Wisconsin since I started about 8 months ago. Have tried two creeks by lake Michigan and panned lake michigan black sand as well.

Yesterday I went to black earth creek by cross plains Wisconsin west of Madison about 20 miles. Wisconsin mining website said placer gold can be panned there. Only dug two shallow holes got there late in the day cause I spent 3hrs at us cellular getting phone fixed but as I got deeper, about 3/4 of a foot only I saw more black sand, material was getting harder too so I think there could be gold deeper down. Spent alot of time trying to get sluice set up I'm like **** its almost dark I only did one test hole! Definitely gonna go back though its the only close report on the mining guide.

I'm going to try a different spot in WI in a couple weeks stay a night at a cheap motel nearby so I can hopefully get a full two days. I KNOW for a fact there is a gold producing creek where I'm going so I will hopefully update this in a few weeks.

Just joined the gpaa and will be going to the WI meeting next Saturday and hopefully get some knowledge as well as maybe more areas to go. I know where to look for gold and how to pan and sluice, spent almost all the time since I got into prospecting.reading.books and threads on here, as well as setting.up the sluice.perfectly.

So I'm not a total idiot lol obviously have alot to learn especially the little things that you all know what I mean, what to bring what not to bring, tricks of the trade etc. I envy you guys that live where there's gold everywhere even nuggets cause here in WI especially the SE...glacial gold is a bi--- to find.

Anyways any other wi prospectors or anybody in general wanna share their thoughts feel free, hope to have some good news in a couple weeks! Have to find at least one flake before winter, I'm a newer prospector but have the fever like all of you :)

Ben "BG"

Upvote 0
63bkpkr

Sounds like you have led an extremely adventurous life and still continue to this day. I love reading about it, have you ever considered writing a book? I would definitely read it.

Going to be doing some serious thinking/soul searching about where I'd like to live. No matter what though its gotta be somewhere with the yellow stuff close by! Preferably in large quantities!

PS 63bkpkr, if you like talking about your gold adventures I'd LOVE to hear more if you're willing to share. You inspire me and have lived/are living my ultimate dream seriously!

Ben

Last edited:
Thats pretty nice gold for anybody,gives me some hope for northern Illinois. I did find 2 lode gold deposits in SW Wisconsin on a relatives property.One assayed at 0.02 ounces a ton in this greenish/white rock outcropping along his creek.The other was for 0.13 ounces a ton in a chunk of galena/lead ore I sent in for an assay ,but was lookin fer silver....Wisconsin has some pretty strict rules for gold panning but they did loosen up a bit recently.I was told no dredging even on private property, altho sluicing is now permitted but don't quote me on that...look on the Wisconsin DNR website...

-Tom V.

milwaukee resident

I'm in SE Wi also. Tvan u are correct. No dredging whatsoever in wi. Even tho I've read a guy in Ashland asking questions how to hook up his high banker I warned him no matter where u are no mechanical stuff can b used. In wi it's sluices, classifiers, pans and sore backs. Lol. But I'm in Milwaukee I have found some gold in pierce county. Defiantly would like to check out black earth creek but was under the assumption can't did black earth creek due to the trout that swim in the creek so dnr controlled waterway cannot b disrupted. Badger I work in cudahy. Maybe if u still have the fever we could get together a weekend. Anyone else in WI also. I'm down to go on an adventure.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back