🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax

Attachments

• conical weight.jpg
    conical weight.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 503
Re: What's this weight

The pic looks like it has a hole through it. If so it is probably a fishing weight of some kind. Monty

Upvote 0

Is it possible to get some more pictures? Maybe a little larger with several views.

I appreciate the coin for scale but have no idea how large a 1 pound coin is.

Thanks,

Daryl

Upvote 0

Yes a unit of measurement, there is an hole through it but I still think weight. I'm sure years ago I've seen a picture of one of these things, Just can't fully remember the details, frustrating !.

Robert

Upvote 0

robfinds said:
Yes a unit of measurement, there is an hole through it but I still think weight. I'm sure years ago I've seen a picture of one of these things, Just can't fully remember the details, frustrating !.

Robert

Well... weigh it.

See where it gets you... if it's some goofy weight fraction you know it's possibly something else... right? I would think a museam could ID it IF it was a unit of measurement weight... Or? I don't know...

:) Good luck!

Upvote 0

BioProfessor said:
Is it possible to get some more pictures? Maybe a little larger with several views.

I appreciate the coin for scale but have no idea how large a 1 pound coin is.

Thanks,

Daryl
It's about two dollars ( only joking ) will do some more pictures tomorrow.
Robert

Upvote 0

BioProfessor said:
Or a liter of gas. ;D

Daryl

Is that lots of little gases :D

Upvote 0

I was thinking about a fish net weight instead of a fishing line weight. The net would have several around the edges. I think I have seen similar on commercial fish nets? Monty

Upvote 0

Can see what you mean about the net weights, the lead "colour" ( correct spelling even the spell checker says so) is very white which shows great age.

Robert

Upvote 0

Perhaps it is a Plumb-bob. A plumb-bob or a plummet is a weight with a pointed tip on the bottom that is suspended from a string and used as a vertical reference line. It is an ancient tool that goes back to the Egyptians.

Upvote 0

Done some better pictures this morning.

Robert

Attachments

• coins 001.jpg
    coins 001.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 327
  • coins 002.jpg
    coins 002.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 326
  • coins 003.jpg
    coins 003.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 325
Upvote 0

I would place it as Late Saxon-Early Medieval. Possibly a loom weight but its not the traditional shape. As you know we find all kinds of different shaped bits of lead & even the experts can only guess what the maker intended it for.

I can see the similarities with the Anglo-Sandinavian (Viking) gaming pieces.

Upvote 0

Hi Daryl, This is how much gas £10 got me today.

Robert

Attachments

• today 003.jpg
    today 003.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 312
Upvote 0

Would the hole through the center admit a cord about 1/16 inch in diameter? It reminds me of weights used on the draw cords of vertical blinds. The ones I am thinking of hung with the point of the weight up. They had a striated pattern like your picture; and a plastic covering with a lead weight inside. The plastic part was long enough to conceal the knot at the end of the cord. Probably not made anymore since folks got upset about lead in the home.

More free bad advice,
Chip V.

Upvote 0

Hi Chip, the colour of the lead weight is almost white, for lead to reach this level of oxidation in the soil takes at least centuries. Having said that maybe someone was well ahead of their time, and actually invented blinds before the introduction of glass windows. At the time he would have been considered an idiot, but now a visionary !. A lesson to us all I think.

Just remember a bird in the hand gathers no moss.
Regards Robert

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back