What would you have done ?

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Yesterday as I dumped my bag of dimes in one of my several bank branches coin counters, took my cash-out voucher, and checked for reject coins in the tray below. Yes there was two bent clad quarters which I put in my pocket. Proceeded to one of the open (no line at the time) counter cashier tellers to get my exchange cash for coins. As I got to the window and out of sight of the teller was a letter size envelope on the counter. I picked it up, opening it and saw several bills inside ($50's, $20's, etc). The teller not having sight of it I very easily could have put it in my pocket, but didn't. Don't know how many minutes it may have been laying there, but I handed it over to the window teller none the less. To pick up a few coins out of a reject bin is one thing, but to pickup an envelope with possibly several $100 total would not sit well with me. It could have been someone's payroll check just cashed but may have forgotten it on the counter. How would you have felt if it was yours left on the counter? I proceeded to give it to the teller only to say that "someone just left this by mistake", and just gave her my coin voucher from the coin machine and left it at that, no questions asked. I'm sure that in the course of the morning that person retraced their steps looking for the cash. I felt BETTER to do the right thing. WHAT WOULD YOU HAVE DONE ???

Upvote 0
I dont know until it happens to me. I can say that I have seen people drop money and I have always stopped them and let them know. I know if I was behind them in line and seen them leave it there I would stop them and give it back.

I have found cash laying on them he ground countless times on the beach or in random places and have always kept it because you have no way of knowing who's it is. Unless I saw somebody actively searching for something.

The sad thing is I hope the teller does the same right thing that you did.

I'd like to Think I would go home a Rich Man :thumbsup:

But... Of course I'd do like you did :BangHead:
besides cameras can be anywhere these days :unhappysmiley:

I don't know that I'd 100% trust the person who Lost it would ever really get it back though
by handing it to someone else.

If they go home and forget to tell the Next shift money was found,
Then the person comes in and asks.
There is a Slight chance of getting a "Not that I'm aware :dontknow: "
from someone who is too busy , at least in their own Mind, to ask around .

Last edited:
...WHAT WOULD YOU HAVE DONE ???

Same as you. You did right.

I once found a bank envelope with over $400 cash on the floor of the home improvement store. I went to the contractor desk and had them page the store for "anyone who lost an envelope" to come to the contractor desk. No one came. I left my cell phone number with the contractor desk and the customer service with the instructions to have anyone who is looking for an envelope of cash to call me and describe the contents. I did not tell the contractor desk nor the customer service desk how much was in it. (Both wanted me to leave the envelope with them. I refused.)

I then called the bank whose phone number was on the envelope. I told them that if anyone was looking for the lost cash, they should call me. I did not tell them how much was there. (The bank wanted me to bring the envelope in to them to hold. I refused.)

I got a call in the middle of the day from the roofing contractor who had dropped it. He described the contents fairly accurately and so I told him where to meet me. He tried to give me $50, but I refused. He was quite pleased.

If it would have been less than $100, I probably would have kept it. But, I figured over $400 would likely really hurt whoever lost it.

Last edited:
One branch of my primary credit union has a small branch office with three teller windows and two office cubes. In this small branch are 9 visible cameras. I have been told by employees that there are more that are not in standard housings and are hidden. Were your incident to happen to me, I believe it would have been recorded.

Same as you. You did right.

I once found a bank envelope with over $400 cash on the floor of the home improvement store. I went to the contractor desk and had them page the store for "anyone who lost an envelope" to come to the contractor desk. No one came. I left my cell phone number with the contractor desk and the customer service with the instructions to have anyone who is looking for an envelope of cash to call me and describe the contents. I did not tell the contractor desk nor the customer service desk how much was in it. (Both wanted me to leave the envelope with them. I refused.)

I then called the bank whose phone number was on the envelope. I told them that if anyone was looking for the lost cash, they should call me. I did not tell them how much was there. (The bank wanted me to bring the envelope in to them to hold. I refused.)

I got a call in the middle of the day from the roofing contractor who had dropped it. He described the contents fairly accurately and so I told him where to meet me. He tried to give me $50, but I refused. He was quite pleased.

If it would have been less than $100, I probably would have kept it. But, I figured over $400 would likely really hurt whoever lost it.

Sometimes I think the Small amounts can be missed more then the Large amounts.

Or at least mean more to the Loser.

Think about that :thumbsup:

I think if I found a Suitcase Stuffed with packs of $100.00 bills

& the Same day Find a Bank Envelope with $350.00 in it.

I'd be feeling more sorry for the person who cashed the $350.00 check going Hungry or
being late on a Power Bill .

:skullflag: I still watch for that Suitcase along the road, Every time I go off though :skullflag:

Last edited:
Don't know where you're from but there's a law in CA where if you find money, technically you have to do your part to locate the owner or turn it in where the owner can be located/owner can find it. After a certain time period like 30 days, if the owner doesn't collect, then the finder can collect.

So if one finds a suitcase of money on the road in CA, technically they're supposed to turn it in to say Police or try to locate the owner. If no one collects after a time period, then finder can collect. Money would be labeled as found property. If you didn't, you'd be breaking the law.

485 PC

Last edited:
I would have took it and ran with my cash. NOT. I would have held it and asked for a manager to come over. the whole bank would have known I found the money, This way No one can swipe up the cash. Then hand over the money and hope it gets back to the rightful owner.... One time i was at a TD bank cashing out coins just like you Dover, but i had a guy in front of me picking up a box of coins for a restaurant or something. Well he left in a hurry, when i stepped up to the teller he was out the door and near the street already. I notice on the counter was a cell phone. I picked it up and placed it at the top counter where the teller could see and said He just left this, Im sure he will be back for it.

Don't know where you're from but there's a law in CA where if you find money, technically you have to do your part to locate the owner or turn it in where the owner can be located/owner can find it. After a certain time period like 30 days, if the owner doesn't collect, then the finder can collect.

So if one finds a suitcase of money on the road in CA, technically they're supposed to turn it in to say Police or try to locate the owner. If no one collects after a time period, then finder can collect. Money would be labeled as found property. If you didn't, you'd be breaking the law.

485 PC

:tongue3: i'm sure it's the same here...

And of course I would go directly to the Police Station :laughing7:

You absolutely did the right thing. Like SF stated most states will give it to the finder if no one claims it. Is it a regular dump bank of yours? Would the teller remember that you turned it in?
Last year I went to my regular grocery store and found a shopping cart in the parking lot with a purse in it. I took it into the store and turned it in to customer service. A week later the customer service lady saw me and came over to tell me that the lady that owned the purse came running into the store about 1/2 hour after I left all in a panic. She was thrilled to get it back all intacked.

You did the right thing. I would have done the same, and I believe most people would as well. As others have stated, had you pocketed the money, you'd have been on camera and legally guilty of theft or some similar crime.

With that said, I'll regretfully admit there is a number and certain situations (no cameras, for example) that would possibly cause me to be dishonest. I could easily give a few thousand back to its rightful owner. But $100,000? I honestly don't know.

you reap what you sow.did the right thing and you will be blessed for it.always works out.only way to gain peace of mind and blessings is to give it back.good man,be proud of yourself for being honest.a rare quality now days.

A few years ago I was the one who forgot an envelope of cash on the bank counter. I was out on a CRH road trip and had a couple grand in the envelope. The bank I left my envelope at had lots of rolls I could buy and in the excitement, I forgot to put the envelope back in my pocket. I drove around to a few more banks until getting to a bank that had some halves. I reached in my pocket and panic set in. Eventually, I traced my steps back to the bank which I left it and the teller informed me that a customer handed over the envelope. After describing the amount of cash that was in the envelope, she gave it back to me.

That person could very well have walked off with the cash, but decided to hand it over to the tellers.

I would have done the same thing you did.

A few years ago I walked up to a coin counter to cash out some dimes. I was about to pour the first hopperfull but noticed that the screen showed the machine had a ~$300 balance. Someone dumped and walked away. I printed the ticket and turned it in to the main desk receptionist before I went up to the teller to cash out my own.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back