Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have a really nice warm spring day and decide to go to the local reservoir to hunt some of the beaches. The water is still too cold to swim and the beaches will be devoid of everyone except perhaps a sun bather or two. When you get to the beach you find that is has been dug up from one end to another by a so called detectorist using a shovel. Thare are large gaping holes all over about a foot or more deep and twice that wide. As you start to leave you notice a guy at one end of the beach sitting in the back of his pickup truck eating a sandwich and drinking a beer. There is a metal detector and a shovel beside him in the bed of the truck. Would you approach him and ask if he dug the holes and if so, would you chastise him? Would you try to contact a park ranger and get him arrested? Or what would you do?

It happened to me last spring. I got out of my car and walked over to chat with him. He was friendly enough and readily admitted that he had been detecting and digging on the beach. His atitude changed when I told suggested that he needed to go back and fill in the holes. He became very beligerent and said it was none of my business. I even offered to help and he told me to go and make love to myself or something like that. I felt like shoving the shovel where the sun didn't shine, but I thought better of it and went on my way looking all the while for a park ranger. Luckily there was one at the entrance gate to the public area and I stopped and made a report, giving the tag number and description of the creep. I iterated that I was also a detectorist and didn't condone that type of behavior regardless. The ranger headed off that direction and I never heard the outcome, but I noticed all the holes had been filled the next time I went to the beach. I have a suspicion that the guy had a choice to fill in the holes or go to jail. I would like to have seen him fill all the holes and pay a hefty fine as he deserved it. Monty

Upvote 0
gmanlight said:
There the same ones that park the car in the handicap spot
because thy cant be bothered to walk the extra hundred feet.

In my profession I run into a lot, a lot of people who feel the rules are for "other" people. For no reason, these people come from all walks of life/social/monetary geographics. You did the right thing. Bring their attention to their actions and let them take responsibility. You would hope that they'd make the right decision but then their pea brains are clouded.

I think you did the right thing!! I hope that people like you will keep this hobby of ours going forever!!!!!! :thumbsup:

Approach him limping and appear to be in a lot of pain. Tell him that you were walking your favourite beach, tripped and fell in one of the many holes that are everywhere and that you think you have broken your leg. Ask him to call the park police for assistance. Tell him that you have no idea why someone would do this to a beautiful lake front beach and that you hope the person responsible is held accountable. If insists on helping, tell him to call the police for you.
Then take a long look at his detector and shovel laying on the back of his truck and then look up at his face, indicating with your expression that you know he's the one responsible and then hobble away, in the direction of the park office.
That one pea that he has for a brain should register and he'll either quickly run out and fill in his holes, or get the hell out of there, never to return again.
Just a thought for next time.
All in all, you did the right thing. :icon_thumright:
Cheers,
Dave.

Muddyhandz said:
Approach him limping and appear to be in a lot of pain. Tell him that you were walking your favourite beach, tripped and fell in one of the many holes that are everywhere and that you think you have broken your leg. Ask him to call the park police for assistance. Tell him that you have no idea why someone would do this to a beautiful lake front beach and that you hope the person responsible is held accountable. If insists on helping, tell him to call the police for you.
Then take a long look at his detector and shovel laying on the back of his truck and then look up at his face, indicating with your expression that you know he's the one responsible and then hobble away, in the direction of the park office.
That one pea that he has for a brain should register and he'll either quickly run out and fill in his holes, or get the hell out of there, never to return again.
Just a thought for next time.
All in all, you did the right thing. :icon_thumright:
Cheers,
Dave.

I like this !!!

Monty said:
It happened to me last spring. I got out of my car and walked over to chat with him. He was friendly enough and readily admitted that he had been detecting and digging on the beach. His atitude changed when I told suggested that he needed to go back and fill in the holes. He became very beligerent and said it was none of my business. I even offered to help and he told me to go and make love to myself or something like that. I felt like shoving the shovel where the sun didn't shine, but I thought better of it and went on my way looking all the while for a park ranger. Luckily there was one at the entrance gate to the public area and I stopped and made a report, giving the tag number and description of the creep. I iterated that I was also a detectorist and didn't condone that type of behavior regardless. The ranger headed off that direction and I never heard the outcome, but I noticed all the holes had been filled the next time I went to the beach. I have a suspicion that the guy had a choice to fill in the holes or go to jail. I would like to have seen him fill all the holes and pay a hefty fine as he deserved it. Monty

Monty, :notworthy:

Only thing I would have done different is, I would have had to go back and watch what happened :laughing7:
Then try to smooth things over with the ranger. At least been near enough to be a witness or back up for the ranger if need be.

But that's just me,
GG~

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back