Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So I hit the local swimming hole this morning, nothing but trash.
Three kids up in my shit bugging me…. So not in the mood. Bright idea hits me, so I tell them that, “go tell your parents that I’m not supposed to be near children”
10 minutes later sheriff rolls up, wants my ID.
Cop wasn’t amused by my “form of communication” to the kids, and I scared them and their parents.
How about they leave me alone?

Yeah that was not a good thing you did. It didn't help you any. Now when you are trying to detect people will be spreading around a false rumor about you being a pervert.
Kids dislike work these days. Should have gotten them to "dig" all targets, especially the large deep iron. And oh yeah, they get to keep what they dig. In this case all the junk. They would lost interest quickly and never bother you again.
And you would have a different rumor then- "don't mess with that guy because he will make you dig all the stuff and its nothing but junk".

Three kids up in my shit bugging me…. So not in the mood. Bright idea hits me, so I tell them that, “go tell your parents that I’m not supposed to be near children”
Cop wasn’t amused by my “form of communication” to the kids, and I scared them and their parents.
Wow I rember a guy saying he was out of jail and that scared the fart knockers off

I have not encountered this issue in a LONG TIME !!! I rarely do beaches any more

Wow, you really said that to them?!!? Glad the Cop didn't arrest you!

Yeah that was not a good thing you did. It didn't help you any. Now when you are trying to detect people will be spreading around a false rumor about you being a pervert.
+1. IMO, it wasn't just "not a good thing". In this day & age, it was an incredibly stupid thing to say. Those kinds of rumors grow long legs... fast, and are a LOT harder to clean/clear up. People could be pointing and whispering for years, and if it isn't, "That guy's a pederast," it'll be, "That's the guy who terrorized some kids by saying he was a pederast just to get rid of them." Either way, parents mayn't let their kids near him, and older kids may start taunting him.

I also don't get the attitude. This was a public place, right? Kids got as much right to enjoy it as detectorists. Kids are going to be kids, and adults should be adults when dealing/interacting with them.

I think this is a good topic to discuss even though it may be backward...

What TO say to nosy curious children.​

I know I could use some constructive suggestions.

Sorry, but rugrats need to keep their distance from me when I'm detecting. They're usually dogging you because they're showing off for their friends and trying to demean what you are doing. They ask me if I'm looking for buried treasure and are too stupid to understand exactly what I'm looking for (usually colonial coins and relics).

Reminds me of the time I was at the Baseball Hall of Fame waiting in line to see Carl Yastrzemski inducted. It was 90 degrees and humid and we'd been in line for two hours. This snot-nosed kid told me that Babe Ruth was signing autographs in the baseball memorabilia store nearby. He told me this and then smiled at his buddy next to him. Since I knew that he died in 1948, I ripped him a new one and had him crying and running away to his mommy in 30 seconds!

Why didn't I let it slide? Because if I had believed him, I would have lost my place in line and never would have gotten to see the ceremony that I drove 200 miles to see. Yaz was my childhood hero, so watching him get inducted was important to me. Add to the fact that this 12 year old thought he knew more about Babe Ruth and baseball history than me, I concluded that he was just a worthless brat that needed to be taught a lesson.

Bottom line, people who don't have kids see them for what they really are, snot-nosed trouble making brats with too much time on their hands. End of rant!

FreeBird….anyone who drops in a Yaz reference in an antidote, is ok in my book!
I modeled my batting stance after him from Tball to college.
Wish I was there at the HOF ceremony with you lol

You in salt water? tell them your moving sting rays out of the way. Or you have a Shark detector. Anyways, what were you thinking? LOL

Just ware flip-flops with black knee Sox, speedos, and the beanie hat with spinning propeller on top....then when the cops come, you'll get tazed !! 🤣😂🤣

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back