What Is It From A Colonial Site?

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Attachments

• tube1.JPG
    tube1.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 161
  • tube2.JPG
    tube2.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 162
  • tube3.JPG
    tube3.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 162
Looks similar too a enfield scabbard tip, from the site you were hunting could be a pre cw scabbard tip, will check on some colonial artifact books I have and hope I find it! good luck! :occasion14:

Upvote 0
Thanks Hut. The round part seems to me to rule out a scabbard tip. But you probably know more about that than do I. I hope you're right!

Upvote 0
Broken piece of a candle mold?

37924t.jpg

I think you can rule out scabbard tip.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I was thinking also the end piece to like a trumpet or something to do with candles but I have seen some odd looking scabbard tips before that could resemble this, i'm trying to image taking the end of that artifact where its folded and see if the artifacts get shorter in length or if it was the same length as the rest of the piece.

Upvote 0
Broken piece of a candle mold?

View attachment 746986

I think you can rule out scabbard tip.

Hmmm . . . possible. Thanks for the opinion.

Love this: "America was founded by tough hell-raisers. Rugged citizens who evaded taxes, spoke strongly against tyranny, grew tobacco, brewed beer, distilled spirits, and smuggled weapons. And it will be saved by those same types of citizens." :icon_thumright:

Upvote 0
I was thinking also the end piece to like a trumpet or something to do with candles but I have seen some odd looking scabbard tips before that could resemble this, i'm trying to image taking the end of that artifact where its folded and see if the artifacts get shorter in length or if it was the same length as the rest of the piece.

Yes, trumpet (or bugle) end crossed my mind as well.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Powder Horn also comes too mind, So hard to tell with the rest of the piece like that folded.. Gonna be interesting too 100% ID it.. Gonna look through some colonial books I got one that is 200 pages..

Attachments

• okk.jpg
    okk.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:
Upvote 0
The items appears to be the top portion of a brass candlestick (candle holder), circa late 18th through early 19th century. On the top, the edge lip would provide a drip stop for wax.

Portions of brass candlesticks and chambersticks, are often found while searching around early homesites, and come in a variety of shapes and styles.

CC Hunter

Attachments

• CandleHolder.jpg
    CandleHolder.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Powder Horn also comes too mind, So hard to tell with the rest of the piece like that folded.. Gonna be interesting too 100% ID it.. Gonna look through some colonial books I got one that is 200 pages..

Thanks Hut!

Upvote 0
The items appears to be the top portion of a brass candlestick (candle holder), circa late 18th through early 19th century. On the top, the edge lip would provide a drip stop for wax.

Portions of brass candlesticks and chambersticks, are often found while searching around early homesites

CC Hunter

This is an old homesite, maybe a 19th century business there as well. Candle holder is certainly possible, though this piece of mine is tapered. It also has a seam running the length.

Upvote 0
I think CCHunter may be close, but the end of the piece looks alittle oddish for a candle holder, most candle holder like in the photo the piece dips down almost as a bowlish type style to it if you get what i'm saying, but def. could be a candle holder.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Here is a picture of the end piece of a brass bugle, it looks very similar in style to yours Stonewall, wouldn't say 100% it is it but it sure does look like, there is a few other things it could be but this is the only one that really resembles you're artifact and it looks like that piece got shorter @ the end there and plugged into another brass tube kinda like in the photo you can see how all those tubes attach to themselves.

Attachments

• 6158076_4.jpg
    6158076_4.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 101
Upvote 0
This is an old homesite, maybe a 19th century business there as well. Candle holder is certainly possible, though this piece of mine is tapered. It also has a seam running the length.

Upon a closer look at the size reference on your piece compared to the nickle coin, it seems to me this piece of yours is smaller diameter than most brass candlesticks I have seen. Considering the taper, another possibility is the top cap for a wooden parasol shaft. Parasol top caps are generally a cone shaped piece, of brass or copper. The very end of your example appears broken off.

CC Hunter

Upvote 0
Yah that could also be it, def. a good answer CC.. i know many bugles back in the early 19th century were really cheaply made, this could be a good answer CC is got, wonder if there are any photos of any vintage Parasol top caps too look @.

Upvote 0
The Brass Mouthpiece for 19th Century bugles is made of cast brass, and machine finished. The item posted by Old Stonewall appears to be rolled sheet brass or copper, and is even described as having a side seam (indicative of formed sheet metal). I've never seen a side seam on a bugle mouthpiece. Years ago, I dug a bugle mouthpiece in a Confederate camp, along with a cast I button, Hillborough Military Academy button, and part of an English manufactured blockade run/import belt plate. This item in question is unlike any bugle mouthpiece I've seen or held.

CC Hunter

Upvote 0
So far, I think the bugle mouthpiece is the best match, though I'm not a 100% convinced. Thanks for all your help CC and Hut. Let me know if you get any more clues.

Upvote 0
yah thats why i was thinking if it was a bugle it was a cheaply made one which there were cheaply made instruments mainly for kids, but anyway i think your more in the right direction, hope you can ID it! Good nite you all got some digging to do in the early AM, good luck Stonewall!

Upvote 0
what would the likliness of a bugle even being in a colonial site?It doesnt sound like this is a mixed site?

Upvote 0
what would the likliness of a bugle even being in a colonial site?It doesnt sound like this is a mixed site?

Bugles been around since late 18th century (like 1770's) if i recall... When they first started making bugles they weren't pretty from what I seen or read, lot of cheap ones then into the mid 1800s they started making them really good and strong, not a bugle expert though just from what ive learned. Maybe I should start playing a tune ;)

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back