What a box

Fropa

Feb 27, 2007
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
I had no luck at the banks in a town I hadn't been to before and just made it to the bank to pickup my weekly box. We all hope to see silver looking back at us when we open the box. This is what I had.

28ARP11_Box.jpg

5 with 411 in blue, 2 with IF in purple, and one marked with black. Not what I wanted to see. I don't normally keep track of the marked coins but with a start like that I sorted all the marked coins.

28ARP11_Marked_1.jpg

28ARP11_Marked_2.jpg

28ARP11_Marked_3.jpg

In total 113 with the blue 411, 116 with the purple IF, 11 with different marks, and the ones in the top row in the picture had marks on the front and either a 411 or IF on the reverse. Total SKUNK on silver and 3 NIFC (2003-D, 2007-D, and a 2009-D)

Have to take the bad days with the good if you want to play the CRHing game. Anybody here mark their coins with any of these marks?

Upvote 0
Sorry about that 95, lol. I did that about a year ago. Guess that one made it to you all the way from St Louis. Im not kidding.

man, that would be frustrating. I've never marked coins, just my rolls. that would be crazy to see that, looks like some competition. It's weird that someone took the time to outline JFK's head, that would take up a lot of time depending on how many they mark.

I wonder how many times your 95 marked half got searched and dumped before I got it da1984. Hopefully they will both have a streak of skunks and quit.

Never marked a coin in my life. I see the purple/pink dot near the top, on the back of alot of BCs, always in that same place. And lots of the black slash on We Trust, here in Central Illinois. I wonder if the outlined JFK, wasn't a kid messing around, cause you're right, it would slow things down alot.
Now that I see where you're from, I guess we aren't too far apart.

Do your normal boxes have that many marked coins? That is the largest variety of marked coins that I have ever seen. Wow.. that would make me want to quit and just dump the box without even opening it. Any finds?

Most of the marked coins that I see have partial outlines on the backs of JFKs head. They used to be all in black, now I'm seeing other colors as well. Other marks seen much less are black lines or a black X on the obverse. I really don't mind those sorts of marks, after all, they will dissolve in an alcohol bath if it were on a coin that I wanted to keep. What I really hate are the marks that deface coins, with a line or an X gouged across the face of JFK. Just like the damage from Brinks coin rolling machines, those damaged coins become pretty much worthless to collectors when defaced like that. I've found 2 2004 NIFC recently that were damaged by the Brinks rolling process, circular gouges near the edges of them. Thankfully, in the past week I found enough undamaged NIFC 2003's and 2004's in both P & D to fill a couple of rolls.

I still search all rolls, regardless of marked coins or marked rolls. I've found many NIFC's and 40%'ers in marked rolls, and even a couple of proofs. Finding marked coins does not always mean there won't be silver in any given box or roll, as those marked coins pass through the machines and gets re-rolled along with silver that gets cashed in.

Bob

I have seen tons of the red outlined mark around jfk's head but dated 1/11 or 2/11. I have also seen jfk's head outlined in blue with out dates.

This was by far the most marked coins I've found in a box. I usually find at least a few and have had streaks where I was getting halves marked with a date by the same person. I would always check all the rolls because silver gets mixed in with everything else as its processed so you never know when it will show up.

da1984 said:
Sorry about that 95, lol. I did that about a year ago. Guess that one made it to you all the way from St Louis. Im not kidding.

Are you "Mr Brown Marker"? Been gettin your coins for 2 years now. Sometimes with 2 numbers and once with 3!

dave5710 said:
Never marked a coin in my life. I see the purple/pink dot near the top, on the back of alot of BCs, always in that same place. And lots of the black slash on We Trust, here in Central Illinois. I wonder if the outlined JFK, wasn't a kid messing around, cause you're right, it would slow things down alot.
Now that I see where you're from, I guess we aren't too far apart.
I get the We Trust marks as well as Mr Brown Marker's numbers and lately been getting a lot of black dots on the back

Sorry mate. I don't mark anymore. I wasted too much time doing that. What part of S. Ill. are you in?

ronbo22 said:
da1984 said:

Are you "Mr Brown Marker"? Been gettin your coins for 2 years now. Sometimes with 2 numbers and once with 3!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back