Well, I've never found a mercury dime in the ground but...

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've just moved to Beverly, Ma. My 9 year old granddaughter wanted to detect our back yard... using a vlf children's detector I kind of let her lead...she was very excited to find nails...then she recovered a 43 mercury dime! At first I was skeptical but she has better eyesight than me...bingo! I think she's going to be my new metal detecting partner.... I've only found silver in coinstars so she beat me to it. :)

Attachments

• IMG_20221023_135109823.jpg
    IMG_20221023_135109823.jpg
    659.3 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_20221023_133300576.jpg
    IMG_20221023_133300576.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 143
  • IMG_20221023_134028921.jpg
    IMG_20221023_134028921.jpg
    722.2 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_20221023_133250598.jpg
    IMG_20221023_133250598.jpg
    545 KB · Views: 143
Upvote 54
Awesome! If there is one there is a good chance it has friends. Keep detecting your yard.
I did get a few more signals but had to leave...quite a few nails in there too. :). As far as I know the soil has not been changed so I'm hopeful more interesting finds will pop up.

Beverly is an old area, I think you’ll be surprised what pops up. Let me know if you want to hit some old spots in Massachusetts, I have a couple big permissions and there’s a few good beaches you by Beverly

Beverly is an old area, I think you’ll be surprised what pops up. Let me know if you want to hit some old spots in Massachusetts, I have a couple big permissions and there’s a few good beaches you by Beverly
Thank you Joe-Dirt, very kind of you...I would love to... Still unpacking and getting internet on Monday...but I'll definitely be in touch!

Last edited:
I've just moved to Beverly, Ma. My 9 year old granddaughter wanted to detect our back yard... using a vlf children's detector I kind of let her lead...she was very excited to find nails...then she recovered a 43 mercury dime! At first I was skeptical but she has better eyesight than me...bingo! I think she's going to be my new metal detecting partner.... I've only found silver in coinstars so she beat me to it. :)
Congratulations to you both! The memories of hunting together will far outweigh the value of anything you might dig. 😊

Congratulations to you both! The memories of hunting together will far outweigh the value of anything you might dig. 😊
Thank youTomW244, you are spot on...I consider it a real blessing. That's one of the reasons my wife and I moved here.

Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!

That is awesome. I now have a grandson that sometimes detects with me. Don't care if I find anything good or not.
Maybe a new detector under the tree this year?
Located all the change machines there yet? Good luck on that.
:) So far the Walmarts and Shaw's and Stop and Shop are it for coinstars...I managed some clad but it didn't feel worthy of a post...
I think I will be looking to upgrade detectors...I did find that the Danvers public library had one to check out though... I've got a couple children's detectors stored here for the grandkids already for them to practice with....

Attachments

• IMG_20221021_122616355.jpg
    IMG_20221021_122616355.jpg
    618.6 KB · Views: 24
:) So far the Walmarts and Shaw's and Stop and Shop are it for coinstars...I managed some clad but it didn't feel worthy of a post...
I think I will be looking to upgrade detectors...I did find that the Danvers public library had one to check out though... I've got a couple children's detectors stored here for the grandkids already for them to practice with....
Good grandpa!

Well, now you have moved to the Historic East Coast you should be able to improve your older finds!

Congrats to the Grand-Daughter on the Silver.

The detector really made me laugh when I read the 'Trash Eliminator' function. So funny, as there really isn't such a thing, but if you going to use the sales pitch 'TREASURE DETECTOR' then it makes perfect sense. Just tune out the Trash & tune in the Treasure - Simple!

Well, now you have moved to the Historic East Coast you should be able to improve your older finds!

Congrats to the Grand-Daughter on the Silver.

The detector really made me laugh when I read the 'Trash Eliminator' function. So funny, as there really isn't such a thing, but if you going to use the sales pitch 'TREASURE DETECTOR' then it makes perfect sense. Just tune out the Trash & tune in the Treasure - Simple!
Chuckling now...I enjoyed posting that pic...I think I enjoy using that more than my tesoro. :)

I wish I’d had a metal detector as a kid. Think of all the places and yards you could get permissions for as a sweet little smiling kid! Congrats to the OP for getting a detector in that kid’s hands!🤠

I wish I’d had a metal detector as a kid. Think of all the places and yards you could get permissions for as a sweet little smiling kid! Congrats to the OP for getting a detector in that kid’s hands!🤠
I had one but didn't really have access to old properties, land etc...or knowledge on how to cut/dig properly...and lost patience of course. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back