Digging With Rocky 021 (2).jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 575
  • Digging With Rocky 022 (2).jpg
    Digging With Rocky 022 (2).jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 578
Re: We Have Seen The Elephant

1liquigirl said:
I'm guessing this is a drawer handle.

It's flat..what would you grab to pull the drawer open ???

Upvote 0

I dont think its an elephant...more like a water buffalo...because of the horn on the side of its head and also...thats a leg ...not a trunk.....anyway....could be some type of a lock...that turns and that long piece latches into something....

Upvote 0

hmmm....strange thing it is.... ??? Almost looks like a Ram....but whimsical in a way...

Upvote 0

gypsyheart said:
I dont think its an elephant...more like a water buffalo...because of the horn on the side of its head and also...thats a leg ...not a trunk.....anyway....could be some type of a lock...that turns and that long piece latches into something....

It is most definately an elephant..that's the ear on the side of the head and the trunk in front..I will get a better photo of it..that will probably help :) :) :)

Upvote 0
gypsyheart said:
Looks like a Ram with a serpent/snake/rope.... ??? ??? Looks ....hmmm ??? ??? Sort of like a part missing that made something like maybe scissors/letter opener....or even an ormolu/decoration ??? ??? ??? dunno...I do See the small elephant...could it be a Centaur head???

Upvote 0
gypsyheart said:
Rams head with hanging tongue was heavily used by the Chinese

It was dug at an early 1700's site..if that helps..cobs..coins and flat buttons there also..thanks for the help....B.H.

Upvote 0
gypsyheart said:
You know it also looks like it could be a buffalo head

I agree..it looks like more than one animal combined..thanks for your help....B.H.

Upvote 0
Drawpull

I'm with 1liquigirl.

It's a drawer pull.

Here's a sample of a flat decorative item used as a drawer pull.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Three-Vintage-Goat-Head-Pulls-Handles_W0QQitemZ120084116149QQihZ002QQcategoryZ37914QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

But I actually think the loop of the diamond patterned area was meant to stand off of the furniture and act as the pull surface by itself. The loop appears to be broken off, but even in the photo's doesn't appear (to my eye) flat.

Interesting design. Anyone know why the Ram has his tongue out?

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Upvote 0
I dont see the elephant. I see a rams head with mouth, tongue, nostrils, human-like eye and hair, curled horn and legs/hoofs. Possibly also a serpent(s). Maybe the devil. :-\

Upvote 0
The ram-headed snake
A distinctive ram-headed snake accompanies Gaulish gods in a number of representations, including the horned god from the Gundestrup cauldron, Mercury, and Mars.

Celtic Lore

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back