Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DAY 1
I went back to the elementary school. There is not a lot of ground and it is about 3/4 done. I have cleaned up all the hot spots and now it is just a matter of checking to be sure there aren’t any goodies hiding in the poorer areas.

I spent 5 hours swingin the CZ21 and found 35 coins with a face value of $2.24, a stainless spoon, 2 rings, a silver nickel, an earring, 2 SUPER STUDENT AWARDS, a very old hub cap, 2 brass whatzits, an ACE bandage clip, a TV cable end, a smashed cartridge, a toy car bumper, can slaw, aluminum fence wire, pencil ends and tabs.

DSCN3355.jpeg

The war nickel was a surprise. Not because I found it here because I have found several other at the school. But because I didn’t know I had found it until I got home and was washing up my finds. Under normal conditions I can usually spot the war nickels as they come out of the ground. But it is so dry all the nickel came out dirty with no hint of shine that usually gives it away. After the clad was given its usual quick rinse I spotted a little telltale shine on one nickel and gave it a rub. Bingo, 1945 P war nickel.

DSCN3357.jpeg

The whatzits look like they are brass. The top one is some sort of electrical connection. It still has a piece of copper wire under the screw down clamp. The other one is a mystery. It is cool looking and I’ve never seen one like it before. If you know what this is please let me know.

DSCN3358.jpeg

The hub cap is the same shape and style of the Ford model T and A caps, but it doesn’t have the embossed logo. My guess is that it is from the 1920s, but from some other make or model of vehicle.

DSCN3359.jpeg

DAY 2
I took another trip to the middle school. Good spots are becoming hard to find here as well. Most of the remaining ground is on the sides of hills surrounding the fields. They are from 35 to 45 degrees and can be a pain to work, but the finds are still there so I will work them all eventually.

I spent 5.5 hours swingin the CZ21 and managed to find 86 coins with a face value of $6.73, glasses without lenses, a little aluminum ring, a toy gun trigger, a sinker, a cheapie carabiner, a car key, a pen tip, a marble, an audio adapter, aluminum bottle caps, can slaw, tabs (62 this trip) and pencil ends.

DSCN3360.jpeg

Nothing special, but gas money is always a good thing.

DAY 3
I went back to the small town park that I have detected many times. I’m still finding hot spots for coins, but the goodies are still few and far between. But you have to cover the ground or you’ll never know what is there.

In 3.5 hours of swingin the CZ21 (I had errands to run and it is so darned hot out) I managed to find 108 coins with a face value of $5.38 (73 pennies), a shell casing, part of a harmonica reed, a toy car hood, 2 toy cars, aluminum bottle caps, some foil, can slaw and tabs.

DSCN3362.jpeg

The only interesting thing is the casing. The head stamp is LC 00. That stands for the Lake City Arsenal and the cartridge was made in the year 2000. It was near the flag poles so probably part of a military salute for flag day.

DAY 4
I went back to the swimming area where they draw down the water all summer long. You never know is there will be any water in the swimming area as the summer goes on. I put on my wet suit and was hopeful there would be some water. I got there and no water. Luckily it was cloudy and a little bit breezy so I only lost 3 pounds of sweat while I detected in my wetsuit on the dry sand.

I spent 3 hours swingin the ATPro and covered the entire Andy area. I managed to find 4 coins with a face value of $0.50, w earpieces from glasses, 2 tabs, an earring and a few pieces of foil. Not many targets at all and I only found 1 piece of jewelry.

DSCN3363.jpeg

It is bad enough that the jewelry is cheapie, but does this guy need to try and walk off with it? 🤪

DSCN3364.jpeg

NON DETECTOR FINDS
I found a penny and a dime on the floor at the store, 4 pennies in the coinstar and a dime and a quarter in the vending machine coin return. Again nothing special, but you got to keep looking.

Thanks for taking time to check out the post, stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things.

Upvote 14
Ha, your write up had me chuckling pretty good. 'Grats on the war nickel and on getting out there! Can't be aces every hand, and I've been having a bad luck streak as of late, but always a pleasure to get out there.

Ha, your write up had me chuckling pretty good. 'Grats on the war nickel and on getting out there! Can't be aces every hand, and I've been having a bad luck streak as of late, but always a pleasure to get out there.
Glad you enjoyed the post. Hopefully this week will be better. Fingers crossed for both of us. Stay safe, good luck and keep swingin.

Interesting finds and backstory as always my friend. :thumbsup:
I found it interesting that the old hub cap wasn't logo'd.

Congrats on the '45 War Nickel too.
- Dave
Thank you for the kind comments. Stay safe, good luck and keep swingin.

DAY 1
I went back to the elementary school. There is not a lot of ground and it is about 3/4 done. I have cleaned up all the hot spots and now it is just a matter of checking to be sure there aren’t any goodies hiding in the poorer areas.

I spent 5 hours swingin the CZ21 and found 35 coins with a face value of $2.24, a stainless spoon, 2 rings, a silver nickel, an earring, 2 SUPER STUDENT AWARDS, a very old hub cap, 2 brass whatzits, an ACE bandage clip, a TV cable end, a smashed cartridge, a toy car bumper, can slaw, aluminum fence wire, pencil ends and tabs.

View attachment 2159833

The war nickel was a surprise. Not because I found it here because I have found several other at the school. But because I didn’t know I had found it until I got home and was washing up my finds. Under normal conditions I can usually spot the war nickels as they come out of the ground. But it is so dry all the nickel came out dirty with no hint of shine that usually gives it away. After the clad was given its usual quick rinse I spotted a little telltale shine on one nickel and gave it a rub. Bingo, 1945 P war nickel.

View attachment 2159834

The whatzits look like they are brass. The top one is some sort of electrical connection. It still has a piece of copper wire under the screw down clamp. The other one is a mystery. It is cool looking and I’ve never seen one like it before. If you know what this is please let me know.

View attachment 2159835

The hub cap is the same shape and style of the Ford model T and A caps, but it doesn’t have the embossed logo. My guess is that it is from the 1920s, but from some other make or model of vehicle.

View attachment 2159836

DAY 2
I took another trip to the middle school. Good spots are becoming hard to find here as well. Most of the remaining ground is on the sides of hills surrounding the fields. They are from 35 to 45 degrees and can be a pain to work, but the finds are still there so I will work them all eventually.

I spent 5.5 hours swingin the CZ21 and managed to find 86 coins with a face value of $6.73, glasses without lenses, a little aluminum ring, a toy gun trigger, a sinker, a cheapie carabiner, a car key, a pen tip, a marble, an audio adapter, aluminum bottle caps, can slaw, tabs (62 this trip) and pencil ends.

View attachment 2159837

Nothing special, but gas money is always a good thing.

DAY 3
I went back to the small town park that I have detected many times. I’m still finding hot spots for coins, but the goodies are still few and far between. But you have to cover the ground or you’ll never know what is there.

In 3.5 hours of swingin the CZ21 (I had errands to run and it is so darned hot out) I managed to find 108 coins with a face value of $5.38 (73 pennies), a shell casing, part of a harmonica reed, a toy car hood, 2 toy cars, aluminum bottle caps, some foil, can slaw and tabs.

View attachment 2159840

The only interesting thing is the casing. The head stamp is LC 00. That stands for the Lake City Arsenal and the cartridge was made in the year 2000. It was near the flag poles so probably part of a military salute for flag day.

DAY 4
I went back to the swimming area where they draw down the water all summer long. You never know is there will be any water in the swimming area as the summer goes on. I put on my wet suit and was hopeful there would be some water. I got there and no water. Luckily it was cloudy and a little bit breezy so I only lost 3 pounds of sweat while I detected in my wetsuit on the dry sand.

I spent 3 hours swingin the ATPro and covered the entire Andy area. I managed to find 4 coins with a face value of $0.50, w earpieces from glasses, 2 tabs, an earring and a few pieces of foil. Not many targets at all and I only found 1 piece of jewelry.

View attachment 2159838

It is bad enough that the jewelry is cheapie, but does this guy need to try and walk off with it? 🤪

View attachment 2159839

NON DETECTOR FINDS
I found a penny and a dime on the floor at the store, 4 pennies in the coinstar and a dime and a quarter in the vending machine coin return. Again nothing special, but you got to keep looking.

Thanks for taking time to check out the post, stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things.
Love the action figure...thought it was hulk Hogan :). You are one busy guy...the war nickel looks to be in nice clean up condition....usually they're toast...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back