Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Attachments

• MVC-011S.JPG
    MVC-011S.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 1,167
  • MVC-012S.JPG
    MVC-012S.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 1,157
Hall marks are on the side of the shank you broke off. The ring can be repaired by a good jeweler. can not tell stone from the photos but looks low grade amethyst.

Upvote 0

Attachments

• unknown hallmark.jpg
    unknown hallmark.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 856
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
Any idea of date, style, stone?
Date - Cannot be older than 1900. It's made of couple of pieces. Older rings were made of one piece of metal.
Style - Freestyle, cos of no markings. Somebody made it for someone.
Stone - It's a piece of glass. Sorry... :( Cos the ring is not made of proper silver. Besides, your stone does not shine.

Don't worry, it is still a nice find. :thumbsup:
Simply, cos there are no markings on it. I love this kind of finds.
No name, no maker, no owner - mystery.
Congrats !!!!

Pozdrawiam Matejko

Upvote 0
Ok better photos of the hall marks, but can not make them out. Ring uses coiled wire, and twisted wire, What throws me is the four leaf resembling dogwood pattern.. I can not say were it was made.

Upvote 0
the second hallmark looks to be British. Crown with lion looking out under it. London.. Yet may have been an import mark..

Upvote 0
~Trish~ said:
greengorilla said:
I forgot to say I believe is is a scarf tie (remember those neckerchief ties in boy scouts).

im think'n the same thing.
TheHarleyMan2 said:
I am thinking the same thing as a Necklerchief Slide as well!
I agree its not a ring but it appears to be too small for a neckercheif or scarf slide. It is much smaller than those from the scouts. It cant fit much of a scarf or napkin. Its just too small.

Attachments

• MVC-010F.JPG
    MVC-010F.JPG
    125.3 KB · Views: 708
Upvote 0
I do belive it was a ring, made with the two part shank so to be adjustable, With time the solder became brittle and bending it broke it.

Upvote 0
lostcauses said:
I do belive it was a ring, made with the two part shank so to be adjustable, With time the solder became brittle and bending it broke it.
Matejko said:
lostcauses said:
With time the solder became brittle and bending it broke it.
Or maybe someone simply step on it, just after it was lost.... ::) ;D
Anyway. For sure it's a ring.

Pozdrawiam Matejko
Now Im confused. It seems so flat underneath. I cannot even fit it on my pinkie. It seems very uncomfotable and clumsy for a ring.. Maybe I can bend it with pliers. Its very hard to open. I broke the other side trying to open it wider to fit on my finger.

Upvote 0
I think the stone is a cloudy light amethyst. When I first looked at it I instantly thought early art deco silk napkin ring. In its day it would have been shined real nice. To be set out when the sterling silverware would have been pulled out. I would guess 1900-1920. This might put it in the right time period for your grandmother. It probably broke so that's how it got separated from the set and saved until your "grandfather" fixed it. They probably glued it unsuccessfully it broke and back to the repair shop. Art deco was known for "unusual" pieces. I'm just trying of think of anything to explain all the clues

Upvote 0
My grandmother had a lot of costume jewelry. She also collected "antiques" or what she thought was. She had a box full of unusual odd buttons and she was aways sewing. I didnt know any better when she died and most of it went to the trash. This piece somehow survived. I will have to study the size of napkins and see how it would slide on because it is very small. (see pic of scarf)

Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
It seems very uncomfotable and clumsy for a ring..
Rings don't have to be comfortable, they just have to be nice and good looking. :wink: ;D
No one cares about comfort wearing any ring.

Here are mine two part shank rings.
The second one is uncomfortable as yours - but... who cares....? ;D

Hallmarks on your ring are probaly fake, that's why they are so unreadable.

Pozdrawiam Matejko

Upvote 0
Silk rolls pretty tight and thin. And your pieces diameter have been bent to where the true diameter is unknown. A napkin ring wouldn't require the pieces to touch. There could be a quarter inch between the two and its function would be fine. ???
Steve

Upvote 0
The first hall mark looks aribic, again no real idea, As some one said they may be fake. Advise is to take to a jeweler.

Upvote 0
tr snyper said:
Silk rolls pretty tight and thin. And your pieces diameter have been bent to where the true diameter is unknown. A napkin ring wouldn't require the pieces to touch. There could be a quarter inch between the two and its function would be fine. ???
Steve
There is not much more than a quarter of an inch, (about 5/8")... maybe for silk.

I guess not much more to go on here. Half the members say ring and half say napkin/scarf. The entire piece is a less than an inch wide. (about 7/8") Does anybody recognize the glue or soldering flux color perhaps? I cant believe any glue would hold and it appears to be on both sides.

Attachments

• MVC-013S.JPG
    MVC-013S.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 492
  • MVC-014S.JPG
    MVC-014S.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 497
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back