Unlnown design

HAVAMAL

Jul 21, 2012
Unknown design

This was my great grandfathers watch fob 14k gold from the late 1800's.
Have wondered about the design for years?
Thought it was Masonic at first and have some tell me it is and some tell me no?
If anyone could help I would appreciate it.
It's from St. Louis MO area.

image-818206917.jpg

Last edited:
I've been to numerous websites, have had college professors on this with no luck, I'm trying to find a copy of Sears Roebuck catalog from the late 1800's to see if it might have come through there, from what I know if my great grandfather he was a very proud German gentleman some even say he was a snob, I can't see him owning a piece like this without it having some kind of meaning?
He even had his initials engraved on the bottom but not deep enough to be a wax seal stamp.

Upvote 0
The shape and symbols remind me of Mayans or Incas. Other than that..no idea.

Upvote 0
Nice piece, to me it looks more art deco than late Victorian. I would guess 1920's and made in the style of a seal. Are there any hallmarks, or just the 14k mark?
Could we see the other side and bottom ? HH
Broken Knee

Upvote 0
My great grandfather died in 1916 so it's earlier than that, and it just has the 14k mark on it, no creators stamp.

Upvote 0
image-2745639888.jpg

The backside is the same as the front and the sides are both the same too

image-1759652903.jpg

The bottom just has his initials.

Upvote 0
Havamal, I have copies of the 1898, 1902, and 1908 Sears catalogues. I will check them and see if there is a similar piece listed in them. Might take me a day or so, but I will let you know if I find anything.

Upvote 0
tngirl said:
Havamal, I have copies of the 1898, 1902, and 1908 Sears catalogues. I will check them and see if there is a similar piece listed in them. Might take me a day or so, but I will let you know if I find anything.

Thank you!!!

Upvote 0
It was definately a Seal Matrix, looks like its missing its stone on the base. I would say late 1800s.

Upvote 0
There's no seal the bottom is smooth with my great grandfathers initials but not deep enought to be a wax seal

Upvote 0
There's no seal the bottom is smooth with my great grandfathers initials but not deep enought to be a wax seal

OK, that explains it, its a sudo-seal copying the seals of the early 1800s that became more jewelry than functional, by the late 1800s, many had little or no incised designs on the base but where the same basic 'form'. (pure decoration, and not functional)

Upvote 0
What about the design on the pyramid?

What do you think you will find out about it, it just 1 of thousands of geometric designs done in that period.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back