ForumRunner_20140714_205846.png
    157 KB · Views: 128
  • ForumRunner_20140714_205901.png
    ForumRunner_20140714_205901.png
    166.9 KB · Views: 120
  • ForumRunner_20140714_205940.png
    ForumRunner_20140714_205940.png
    149.7 KB · Views: 98
Is it your camera making the letters backwards or is it actually like that? And are the letters raised or indented into the coin? I also see that it is oddly shaped. Possibly a counterfeit or some type of brockage error?

mmm no idea but I see that "The influx of counterfeit and lightweight coppers in circulation was a serious problem that hurt both laborers and small business and kept the economy from growing. Every time a worker or merchant accepted a lightweight copper at face value, they lost money because others would only accept these underweight coins at a discount, usually substantially below face value."
ref: Fugio Cents - Introduction So could be a counterfeit and that's why letters are reversed but I have no idea. Having coin at odd angle doesn't help - be better if we could see it as you would normally read a given side of any coin. Interesting find.

That one is certainly a mystery, Vino! I sure hope someone ID's this one soon. Very interesting!:icon_thumright:

mmm no idea but I see that "The influx of counterfeit and lightweight coppers in circulation was a serious problem that hurt both laborers and small business and kept the economy from growing. Every time a worker or merchant accepted a lightweight copper at face value, they lost money because others would only accept these underweight coins at a discount, usually substantially below face value."
ref: Fugio Cents - Introduction So could be a counterfeit and that's why letters are reversed but I have no idea. Having coin at odd angle doesn't help - be better if we could see it as you would normally read a given side of any coin. Interesting find.[/QUOTE

Its definitely not lite wait...It almost double the weight. ..it might be too coins smashed together... Thats what Huntsman said...I can see two diffent coins...it has the 1over 100 like the early ones...and I can see stars like the 1804 and later...Thanks for looking

It could be...The word one cent is indented not raised. ..wish it had more detail so you could tell..

I knew this was going to be interesting

minds at work, puzzle to solve... interesting

Super cool find! :icon_thumleft:

It reminds me of a couple other pieces that have been posted at the site--

This thread shows the reverse of a large cent / in reverse on the other side of a Woods Hibernia colonial coin-

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...llar-yields-some-first-time-killer-finds.html

and this one has another that looks like yours ---

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/408294-large-copper-but-there-s-twist.html

* ETA I wonder if your coin might be originally a Russian 2 Kopeks - it's about the right diameter but heavier and that might be an eagle's wing on the blank side...?

Last edited:
Seems like the best explanation, brockage? You just never know what your going to pull out of that ground, interesting.

Thanks everyone..I geuss will never know?!?!?

Looks like a brockage to me. A brockage occurs when a coin gets stuck in a die and the next blank inserted get struck by the coin which creates an incuse impression. I have a couple in my collection of counterfeit British halfpence brockages. They're not that uncommon in colonials and many are known with large cents and other coins. Here's a link to one of mine. I had to add a link as it seems I'm having trouble uploading photos on this site. I should also add that I've seen what appeared to be a brockage that was actually the result of coins being pressed together in a vice. This is usually evident by the appearance of more than just the coin, but evidence of other design elements where there shouldn't be.
Don - Former contributor to the Guidebook of US Coins (Redbook)
http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t116/bowlski_bucket/coins/brockage.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like a brockage to me. A brockage occurs when a coin gets stuck in a die and the next blank inserted get struck by the coin which creates an incuse impression. I have a couple in my collection of counterfeit British halfpence brockages. They're not that uncommon in colonials and many are known with large cents and other coins. Here's a link to one of mine. I had to add a link as it seems I'm having trouble uploading photos on this site. I should also add that I've seen what appeared to be a brockage that was actually the result of coins being pressed together in a vice. This is usually evident by the appearance of more than just the coin, but evidence of other design elements where there shouldn't be.
Don - Former contributor to the Guidebook of US Coins (Redbook)
http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t116/bowlski_bucket/coins/brockage.jpg

IMO Vino's coin is a vice type product and not a brockage. It just doesn't look like the right flan to me. I think it is another coin under there. Though it would probably help to get a weight for it.

Here is a neat piece from my collection. I still don't know what the host coin is. It weighs about 15.2g. when a typical British halfpenny is about 5.67g. Not a brockage .. but some kind of post mint creation.

Attachments

• halfpenny.jpg
    halfpenny.jpg
    735 KB · Views: 58
  • halfpenny2.jpg
    halfpenny2.jpg
    690.7 KB · Views: 58
You may very well be right bramblefind. It's hard to tell from the photos if there is detail from another coin underneath, even if it's another large cent. Neat piece you have in your collection even if it's a post mint product.

Interesting, new stuff to me even though it is old!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back