Datbeast43

Tenderfoot
Oct 13, 2014
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All i know about the coin is that it is circa late 1800s early 1900s SAM_0001.JPGSAM_0002.JPG :BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:

Hmmm..i do not know either, but I'm sure somebody on here will put an identity to it. But anyway..welcome to the site!! And did you dig that coin/relic? And what machine are you sporting? ...diggin the split window vette...cooool...ddf

Upvote 0
I hate to disappoint, but that is a relatively modern (mid 1970s to present) generic arcade token.
John in the Great 208

Upvote 0
i was told by a man at J & J coins and collectables when it was made

Upvote 0
It was found in an old house that was built around the same time period and could have belonged to the original owner of the house

Upvote 0
At the moment, there are two other tokens with that same heart reverse die that are listed on tokencatalog.com
OSOWSKI'S ORCHARD / MONTICELLO / MN / FUN MARKET (TC-168925) Monticello, Minnesota (Wright County), U.S.A.

and

NO CASH VALUE / TOKEN / COPPERFIELD'S / RESTAURANT & BAR / RWM / BCM INC - AMARILLO, TX (TC-364083) Amarillo, Texas (Potter County), U.S.A.

The maker's signature appears on the Texas one - RWM which is Roger Williams Mint of Attleboro, MA. If I recall the story, they got in trouble making counterfeit transportation tokens and their token business was taken over by tokensdirect.com of Cincinnati. The concentric circle die does not appear in the current catalog of tokensdirect, nor does the hear one, however the design around the heart does appear on a current die they use.

The piece I have is about 22.5mm in diameter, by the way.

John

Upvote 0
As far as I can see this token could never be used as cash at a certain store, it may be a good luck token given out by a store as a promotion/advertising thing (it has no store name so advertising is unlikely) I found a good luck token from the 1880's in the reject tray at the Coinstar (a coin counter that rejects odd coins such as silver and tokens). This token has a store name on the back to advertise it's company, and a good luck symbol on the front. Considering some businesses gave out good luck tokens at the turn of the century, it may be from a store that produced not many of them, making it hard to find. Than again, a very likely possibly is that it could be a different version of the coin that Idahotokens mentioned, perhaps the predecessor to that token, made by that company, or after the company had legal issues, they still made the tokens, but did not put their store's name on it, but replaced it with circles to avoid more legal problems.

Here is a photo of the token I found at the Coinstar:
9220willow.jpg

Cool find, and good luck IDing it!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back