Excal II unstable in water

FL Treasure Hunter

Dec 31, 2015
St. Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, AT Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had my excal II for a while now but never got to run it in water until today.

I went to the beach and tried to detect a tidal pool and waters edge. Every time I bumped the coil or moved it quick or broke water surface it toned or falsed like a find.

Tried sensitivity of 2&3 and auto and nothing really helped. Is it better to stay deeper consistently and does anyone have some good salt water settings? I think the in and out of the water and bumping around the tidal pool changing depth from an inch to a foot was freaking it out.
My normal sand setting is a 7 and it’s rock solid perfect in wet or dry. The water is the only curve ball this machine is throwing me.

Upvote 0
I have had my excal II for a while now but never got to run it in water until today.

I went to the beach and tried to detect a tidal pool and waters edge. Every time I bumped the coil or moved it quick or broke water surface it toned or falsed like a find.

Tried sensitivity of 2&3 and auto and nothing really helped. Is it better to stay deeper consistently and does anyone have some good salt water settings? I think the in and out of the water and bumping around the tidal pool changing depth from an inch to a foot was freaking it out.
My normal sand setting is a 7 and it’s rock solid perfect in wet or dry. The water is the only curve ball this machine is throwing me.
Was there surf rolling over the coil? Does it do it when you are in deeper water such as knee deep water? You will get false signals as surf rolls over Excsk coil in shallow water if there is black sand in the surf as it rolls over the coil.

You can turn your sensitivity down, ignore the fallse signal if signal isn't repeatable, move to a little deeper water.

As ARC mentioned, make sure coil cover not holding sand. Always clean coil cover before going.

Was there surf rolling over the coil? Does it do it when you are in deeper water such as knee deep water? You will get false signals as surf rolls over Excsk coil in shallow water if there is black sand in the surf as it rolls over the coil.

You can turn your sensitivity down, ignore the fallse signal if signal isn't repeatable, move to a little deeper water.

As ARC mentioned, make sure coil cover not holding sand. Always clean coil cover before going.

There was not surf but I was swinging it in and out of the water due to it being shallow. Every time the area where the wire entered the coin broke the surface or moved quick it falsed.

There was some black sand for sure. The cover was pretty clean but had some under it I cleaned.

I will try deeper water next time and see if it settles down.

Reactions: ARC
There was not surf but I was swinging it in and out of the water due to it being shallow. Every time the area where the wire entered the coin broke the surface or moved quick it falsed.

There was some black sand for sure. The cover was pretty clean but had some under it I cleaned.

I will try deeper water next time and see if it settles down.
If no surf then it could easily be black sand, sand on top is not too bad, it is black sand inside the coil cover, that is what you want to clean out. It doesn't take much black sand to get false signals.

If no surf then it could easily be black sand, sand on top is not too bad, it is black sand inside the coil cover, that is what you want to clean out. It doesn't take much black sand to get false signals.

That had to be it then. Definitely no black sand in the coil cover but the small tidal pool had lots.

All you have said is normal
The excal will false in saltwater, special going in and out, splashing. And it will false when the water is around the control pod, specially where the coil wire goes into the control pod. Once submerged it will calm down unless you bump something on the bottom. Also where there is a change in the bottom level it will read the change. One must learn coil control to help in these conditions.

Also take good care of the coil cable, they are famous for dry rot.. cracking and peeling the outer black jacket. Keep all cables well coated with 303 Aerospace protection.

All you have said is normal
The excal will false in saltwater, special going in and out, splashing. And it will false when the water is around the control pod, specially where the coil wire goes into the control pod. Once submerged it will calm down unless you bump something on the bottom. Also where there is a change in the bottom level it will read the change. One must learn coil control to help in these conditions.

Also take good care of the coil cable, they are famous for dry rot.. cracking and peeling the outer black jacket. Keep all cables well coated with 303 Aerospace protection.

That is good to hear that it does not seem to be a defect. The tidal pool had a deep drop off to very shallow (inches to a foot or two) so there was depth change as well. I definitely want to get back out there to better learn the machine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back