• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    404.9 KB · Views: 166
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    388.9 KB · Views: 157
that looks really good. Sorry I dont know what it is

Upvote 0
I know. I'm tired of telling people that... "It's really cool" .... Hopefully someone has seen something similar or at least can attribute it to a time period. My thoughts are mid to late 1800's and Early American or Indian. Just don't know how to firm that up....lol ... Thx

Upvote 0
Is the Stone Tiger Eye?. Does it reflect different in the light at various angles?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't think it's tiger eye. Being an odd shape I'm not used to seeing tiger eye in anything but the cabochon shape so I'm not sure. It doesn't glisten but then again it's probably not polished as heavily as a stone made specifically for jewelry. It's obviously hand made and finding what that stone is may help lead me to its origin. I started thinkin mountain man as well but didn't want to sound foolish with so many possibilities.

Upvote 0
First off I will start by saying... killer piece.
This thing is not of "today".
This will b a major puzzle.

I think the "claws" as you say are IMO PERHAPS not actually claws... but more so Ivory that has been fashioned into claws.
But this is only a deduction via these pictures you have posted and the ability to see "into" the structure of the "claw".
With that said...
This "Ivory" does not mean "elephant"... Ivory and Tusk come from many sources.
The center piece ... ?
Will look at it again.
Anyway,,,
This piece if I shot from the hip...
Indian ... Native American... And yes... silver... if not sterling... then coin silver... perhaps even a fom of German silver...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This piece also... would be... the only of its kind.
Made by perhaps even a part time / novice jeweler / metal smith.

PS... if you are "discouraged" by my opinion of the "claws" not actually being claws...
Don't...
Possession of them in any form is illegal ... that is of course... you are not a Native American Indian.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oh... and one more thing...
"why" I think / know it is NAI...

This is a Naja Pendant

Upvote 0
I think you are correct. It definitely has the shape and it would be one heck of a pendant for a squash necklace. I wonder if there is anyway to narrow it down much further. Like you said being one of a kind it may be harder than originally thought to place it in any definitive manner other than general... Still a really cool find... Ill let it run on the forum for a bit and see if anyone can add to this but I think you have solved the overall of what it is. We'll see if it can be narrowed down a little more based on the stone and color. Thx again

Upvote 0
Absolutely. I'm actually leaning toward it possibly being agatized wood. I waited 20 years to do the research, a few more days to get the right answers won't hurt me...lol. Thx for the interest and I will post the findings here when satisfied that were close to the right answer.

Upvote 0
I had a local antique dealer that said he thought it was agate as well. He had some pieces that looked very similar in color. If that is the case then I can assume it's origins might be around Arizona or surrounding regions. The petrified pieces had more shine like Opals than Agate which was darker. Thanks for your input...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
A few observations : first is the initials could be three letters TDH or TDA if you combine a T and D it would have the same look.Second is I think AARC is correct that they are not claws but something fashioned to look like claws as the cracks are in a straight line and not curved.The stone could be fire agate.

Upvote 0
Looks like the claws and center piece was fashioned with fozziled walrus tusk to me. I'd lean towards an indigenous maker from Alaska producing this.

Upvote 0
Amateur made, not teeth, likely not NA, likely not that old. Most NA jewelry artists are much more skilled in their work and that puppy is crude.

Upvote 0
Victorian fashion jewelry.

Do a Google image search on 'Victorian tiger claw jewelry'. Apparently, it was a popular motif.

pdvc454.2.jpg

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back