Surreal day of CRHing (10/19)

CJ9

Dec 15, 2018
NYC area
Primary Interest:
Other
Last Saturday (10/19), I hit a few banks to get some coins (nickels, dimes, halves) and at each of the 4 banks, I came away with goodies (and in 2 of the places, a lot of goodies).

First stop was a Wells Fargo where I got $80 in dimes and $20 in nickels (all were CWR). The dimes were a skunk, but the nickels gave up a 1910 V. Not in too bad of shape as you can make out a few letters of LIBERTY in the headdress, and nearly the entire back is readable. Usually when I get these, they are in worse shape than this.

Next stop was a Chase (right near the Wells Fargo), where I went to dump some coins I had from several days earlier, as well as the Wells Fargo coins I had just gotten and looked at in the car (when I dump I try to make sure I get rid of everything I have up to that point). Asked for halves, and the teller said he had $14. He brings out the bag and starts counting them and I can hear and see the silver. Turns out $7 of the $14 were 40% silver. (4x 1966, 3x 1967, 5x 1968D, and 2x 1969D).

Stopped at another Chase where they know I collect and they sell me CWR. All they had was $65 in dimes and $6 in nickels. One of the dime rolls had the 1952S in the picture.

Last stop was another Chase, and this blew my mind. Went in and asked for $30 in dimes and $10 in nickels (if they give me CWR dimes I then ask for more - I don't want to get large amounts of MWR dimes). While I have never spoken to the teller about it, she must know that I collect, as I have gone in there a number of times before asking for coins (a few months ago she gave me some silver halves, knowing they were silver). So she gives me $20 of these old rolls and said that these are likely silver as someone wrote silver on the rolls, and to enjoy looking through them. I then ask for more rolls like this and she looked and said that there is another $20. So I buy them too. As advertised, $40 in solid silver dime rolls. The other 2 rolls (the $10 of the initial $30 I asked for) had silver (the 2 1964s and the 1946) - probably from the same customer if I had to guess. All in, there were 342 FDR dimes, 57 Mercs, and 4 Canadian 80% in the rolls ($50 total) from this bank (one of the rolls was almost all Mercs).

Even the $10 in MWR nickels had something - the dateless buffalo in the picture.

On Monday I went back in to thank the teller for the coins and to give her an Amazon gift card. She said that rather than the gift card, to donate money to the Salvation Army, which is exactly what I did today. She is very kind.

Thanks for looking and HH

coins 10-19.jpg

v reverse 10-19.jpg

halves1 10-19.jpg

halves2 10-19.jpg

dimes1 10-19.jpg
dimes2 10-19.jpg
dimes3 10-19.jpg

dimes4 10-19.jpg

donation.PNG

Last edited:
Upvote 10
That is awesome! Congrats on the silver, and good on you for the good deed. Instant karma.

Reactions: CJ9
That's amazing! You always find great stuff! I have one question: did the third roll down on the left have only $4.60 in it like it says?

Reactions: CJ9
That's amazing! You always find great stuff! I have one question: did the third roll down on the left have only $4.60 in it like it says?
Thank you. The roll that had $4.60 written on it was the one with all the Mercs. It had $5 - 47 mercs and 3 FDRs. I am guessing the $4.60 was written some long time ago.

Yeah this area is really good for CRHing I find. A lot of people, it was settled a long time ago, so many generations of people have lived here, and there are a lot of banks within a short distance of each other.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back