Unidentifiable bucket/ basket

Jw4792

Jan 26, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone,
I recently inherited this item and cannot figure out anything about it. I thought it might be an antique hat box, or water bucket but the leather is not thick enough for either use. Here are some pics with dimensions written on the photos. I also tried antique flower basket but nothing looked similar. I am stumped. The hand drawn image is not a family crest of any of my ancestors but might be a heraldry Mark , as I read they all had the silver helmet in them but that’s all I know. If you have any clue I would be grateful for your help. Thanks. Jw4792 ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1580614662.711650.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1580614771.069205.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1580614812.830891.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1580614854.198436.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1580614882.543861.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1580614920.470712.jpg

Thanks furies. I think I need to find some 18th century or earlier scholar to figure this out. I never thought of hunting/game basket but that was a nice try. I wish the emblem that is missing from on-side was still attached...would have yielded a lot of clues. Any ideas on the beautiful image on the front? Looks really really old. Country of origin? I hate not being able to find out anything. Maybe I could take it to Berkeley university to there history dept. or send pictures to Oxford Historical Society or something like that. What do you think. John

Upvote 0
Thanks furies. I think I need to find some 18th century or earlier scholar to figure this out. I never thought of hunting/game basket but that was a nice try. I wish the emblem that is missing from on-side was still attached...would have yielded a lot of clues. Any ideas on the beautiful image on the front? Looks really really old. Country of origin? I hate not being able to find out anything. Maybe I could take it to Berkeley university to there history dept. or send pictures to Oxford Historical Society or something like that. What do you think. John

Additonal exposure and other opinions wouldn't hurt, plus I'm sure some of our more knowledgeable members will chime in soon. Like I said it's cool and I like it, looking forward to what other ideals people come up with.

Dang it, where are my manners? Welcome from Florida to the Tnet madness, you'll be surprised at the collective wealth of knowledge from our members. They never cease to amaze me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hello everyone,
I recently inherited this item and cannot figure out anything about it. I thought it might be an antique hat box, or water bucket but the leather is not thick enough for either use. Here are some pics with dimensions written on the photos. I also tried antique flower basket but nothing looked similar. I am stumped. The hand drawn image is not a family crest of any of my ancestors but might be a heraldry Mark , as I read they all had the silver helmet in them but that’s all I know. If you have any clue I would be grateful for your help. Thanks. Jw4792View attachment 1797008View attachment 1797009View attachment 1797010View attachment 1797014View attachment 1797015View attachment 1797016

Now I'm wondering if it might be a fire bucket, see google search link below for other painted examples of vintage leather fire buckets.

https://www.google.com/search?q=vin...0&biw=798&client=ms-android-att-us&prmd=simvn

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

I think I may be close. I found the Red over White Coat of Arms and a "Rooster" or Flammulet - if that's what it is, for Canton of Solothurn but, I could not find them together.

It's late now so I'll start again in the morning. I don't have cable so I won't be watching the Super Bowl.

Cheers
-DH-

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Google lens is saying it is a vintage leather waste basket

Niccccccce! :laughing7:

Great information provided here so far by Diggin' History. :thumbsup:
My first thought was a 'fireplace coal scuttle' due to it's 'dish' shape?
I did some research and the majority of 18thc coal scuttles seem to have been made of tin, brass or copper.

I'm also thinking it's European in origin due to the decoration, as opposed to American.
I feel if this was from the '18thc Colonial America' time period that it would have more of a 'Revolutionary/Independence' reference in the decoration? :icon_scratch:

Dave

Attachments

• 61YAA-QSXcL._SX466_.jpg
    61YAA-QSXcL._SX466_.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 107
  • images.jpg
    images.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 131
  • poz8b046-900.jpg
    poz8b046-900.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 137
  • vintage-reeves-16-metal-coal-bucket_1_c1f14c19b27ce91d28b5e40361417b32.jpg
    vintage-reeves-16-metal-coal-bucket_1_c1f14c19b27ce91d28b5e40361417b32.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Maybe a bucket for ashes from fireplace

Upvote 0
I'd say fire bucket although many of them had round bottoms so they could not be set down and left somewhere other than their hanging location. Don't think ashes bucket. Hot embers in a leather bucket could burn the house down. You would be surprised how man fire runs I have been on where people have put their ashes in a plastic bucket only to find out they're not all out yet.

Upvote 0
I can't believe a fire bucket would have a leather strap for carrying...

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back