A silver Rosie, a silver ring, another Indian, a decorated flat button and a 1948 license plate

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DAY 1
I went back to the K to 8 school and expanded the grid on the lower playground and started a new grid on the upper field. I spent 6 hours swingin the CZ21 and stomping lantern flies. I found 55 coins with a face value of $2.78, a small brass hasp, a silver dime, a wheatie, a Canadian penny, a MOTHER OF SORROWS religious medal, a bent up copper nail, an older style football cleat, a bead, an Ace bandage clip, 2 toy car doors, aluminum fence wire, aluminum bottle caps, foil, can slaw, 40 tabs, pencil ends and a license plate.

DSCN3526.jpeg

The silver dime is a 1946 Rosie in decent shape. It was only 2 inches down and was right on top when I popped the plug. The wheatie is a crusty one, 1953.

DSCN3527.jpeg

The license plate was all folded up. You can see the creases where I unfolded it. It is a Maryland Dealer tag from 1948. It is an unusual find, and in poor shape. It will get recycled.

DSCN3528.jpeg

Not a great day, but any day with silver is definitely a good one.

DAY 2
I made another trip to the middle school. I am cleaning up sections by gridding as usual. I have done the most promising areas so I’m not expecting a lot, but always hoping for a goodie to pop up like the class ring did a few weeks ago.

I spent 5.5 hours swingin the CZ21 going up and down a hillside behind the school. I started in a section where the angle was about 30 degree and worked my way over to a higher part where the steepness was about 50 degrees. Not a huge number of targets, but very few ferrous ones so I made the choice to dig easier. All together I found 73 coins with a face value of $3.29, a modern button, a set of doggie ID tags, a screw cap, a set of toy wheels, a lead whatzit, a round magnet, a key, an aluminum PRO-LINE knob, aluminum bottle caps, fence wire, can slaw pencil ends, 47 tabs and can slaw.

Lots of nickel on this trip (19) and only 3 quarters so the coin number was good, but the value was low. Nothing special, but if you don’t cover the ground you’ll never know what’s hiding in the dirt.
DSCN3532.jpeg

DAY 3
We are getting a lot of rain. We were very dry all summer and now the rain won’t stop. I am getting tired of dealing with the mud, but I have to get out and detect so I don’t go into withdrawal.

I went back to the small little used field where I found the Indians and the largie hoping for more goodies and maybe a silver at last. I spent 5 hour swingin the CZ21 and found 38 coins with a face value of $3.18, an IHP, four wheaties, a flat button, an aluminum coupon, a small piece of a harmonica reed, a starfish bead, a modern button, 2 pieces of a toy car, a weird aluminum thing with a glass bead in it, aluminum bottle caps, an slaw and tabs.

DSCN3533.jpeg

The Indian head penny is a 1903. The ground did not treat it very well. I have been here three times lately and found an IHP on each trip. That is not normal, but I’m NOT complaining. The wheaties are 1917,1919,1920,1944. This field has had a lot of hundred year old pennies. 1847 largie, 1881, 1902 and 1903 Indian heads and 1916, 2-1917s, 1919 and 1920 wheats. Too bad they are not in good shape.

DSCN3534.jpeg

DSCN3535.jpeg

The flat button was a nice surprise. The shank is gone. If you look closely you can see a nice pattern. Unfortunately it did not do well in the ground and long ago it got bent. The bending and the ground conditions have caused the surface of the button to flake off and take the heart of the pattern away.

DSCN3538.jpeg

DSCN3539.jpeg

DSCN3540.jpeg

The aluminum coupon is one I have found before. It was folded in half when it was recovered. The acid soil really does a number on these things. I found a picture of one in new condition so you can see what it should look like.

DSCN3536.jpeg

DSCN3537.jpeg

IMG_9210.jpeg

DAY 4
Got a chance to go back to the scout camp. I have covered most of the camp at least once and am now going back over sites that I have not been on for a couple of years to clean up new losses and pick up a few things missed on prior visits. Nobody gets it all and some of these spots were so heavy in finds initially it was easy to miss a few weaker signals. Now that most of the ground is quiet those harder to find targets stand out and are easier to recognize.

I spent 6.5 hours swingin the CZ21 and found 137 coins with a face value of $12.95, 231 camp tent pegs (all lost in the past 2 camping seasons, the staff is getting lazy when it comes to taking down the tents at the end of the season), copper pieces of someone’s metal work merit badge projects, a ring, a token, a 1 year Cub scout pin, a rope tensioner, a fastener, an aluminum pencil sharpener, melted aluminum from the campfires and a few tabs.

DSCN3541.jpeg

IMG_9195.jpeg

The ring is silver marked MEX 925. It is a little out of round and was on edge with the face sticking out of the ground when I cleared the leaves away. Silver and gold are rare finds at the camp which makes this find very special. Most of the scouts leave their jewelry at home.

DSCN3542.jpeg

No neckerchief slides and surprisingly no sinkers. In the hundred plus times I have been at the camp this is the first hunt without a sinker.

The goodies were pretty good this week so I’m happy. Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck and keep swingin.

Upvote 3
Very nice detailed post..
Congratulations on another amazing week..
Thank you for posting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back