Dec 18, 2012
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Tesoro Compadre
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Found this object in my front yard. It has a green patina indicating some amount of copper composition. It looks like an unfired shotgun shell, but maybe I'm totally off and it is a bolt or something. Also, if it is a shell, is it dangerous?

image-3631954393.jpg

image-1142012424.jpg

image-2613806605.jpg

image-2606700089.jpg

No,not a shotgun shell,looks like a pin?Sure its not solid?

Upvote 0
Yea,it reminds me of a pin,of sorts?Def. not a bullet/shell :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
Civil war period (if I remember correctly) Spencer cartridge. They used these later, of course, especially for hunting.

Upvote 0
Having dug a several complete Spencers, I am pretty sure it is not a Spencer. Spencers would have been a larger calibre and had a larger lip on it.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I can't tell the caliber from the photo. Still think it's 19th century though.

Upvote 0
Having dug a several complete Spencers, I am pretty sure it is not a Spencer. Spencers would have been a larger calibre and had a larger lip on it.
.........and not solid,heavy or dense....if thats a bullet,I am a monkeys Uncle!!!

Upvote 0
I hope I don't irritate any of my friends by pointing this out, but:
In post #2, Kuger asks the object's finder (Ninjafossils) if the object is solid. In post #3 the finder replies that it is "solid, heavy, and dense." But people continue to guess various kinds of hollow objects (like a bullet-casing, or a shotgun shell). What have y'all been smoking? ;-)

Edit to answer Ninjafossil's question -- he wrote:
> But is it a round, and is it dangerous?

No, it is just a piece of 100%-solid (not hollow) brass or copper, and being solid it cannot have anything inside it, and thus is not dangerous. The lip on one end of it means it is a type of "locking pin" -- similar to (but much smaller than) a trailer-hitch's locking-pin.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It looks like a lipstick tube to me.
I agree I found one and it had Revlon after cleaning and after oil I opened it and red lipstick was inside near Barber age dimes it was found on a beach near Col Green's estate in Padanarum Mass.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
...sometimes I think EVERYBODY has me on ignore :tongue3::icon_scratch:

Upvote 0
It doesnt hurt to double check. If there is a misunderstanding, it wouldnt be the first time.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Kuger, apparently my name is right next to yours on the Ignore list ...even though I quoted the object's finder saying the object is "solid, heavy, dense." (Dense apparently meaning it isn't a lightweight metal like aluminum.)

The finder has not given us any size-measurements, but based on comparing it with his fingers in the photos, the cylindrical solid metal object appears to be "about" 1-&-1/4 inch long (or a bit less), and 3/8th inch in diameter, with the flange on one end being about 7/16th or 1/2 inch in diameter.

I'm with Kuger, believing it is a pin of some kind, such as a locking-pin or (short) hinge-pin.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back